Eloquent Informer

6,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Autobiographer 200
L a° F i n
A Short Story Contest

Submissions close:
      Saturday, September 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM (PST [GMT -8]) (Subject to change)

I have often been told that to be a successful writer in this day and age, you must first be willing to enter publishing house contests. I have entered my fair share of them, sending out dozens of my best works to publishers, and having won one I can say that I agree with the statement. The spark of competition allows for the creative juices to do more than merely flow, it allows them to boil and simmer until the writing process is no less than volcanic in nature. I urge you, writers of Gaia—both young and old—to enter my contest in the spirit of practicing for publishers' contents. Besides, what better way to give away all the gold I'll never use?

» R u l e s

1. To participate, send a private message titled "Contest: [insert story title here]" to me containing the piece(s).
  2. Entrants may submit up to two (2) pieces. If submitting two pieces, each piece should be in separate messages.
  3. The submission piece(s) must adhere to the contest guidelines.
  4. Entrants must be patient; the process of judging literature is a time consuming effort.
  5. Entrants may enter more than two pieces, but must designate which two are to be judged.
  6. Entrants may edit the pieces up until the final day of submissions.

» G u i d e l i n e s

1. The written piece must contain the author's username and/or personal name.
  2. The piece must be submitted in code form.
  3. The piece—when placed into a word document with the format Times, 12pt, double-spaced—must be no longer
    than ten pages or shorter than two sentences.
  4. Any and all genres are accepted.

» P r i z e s

Grand Prize: 1,000,000g
    Secondary Prize: 250,000g
    Tertiary Prize: 75,000g

» F . A . Q .

Q: What do you mean by "code form"?
    A: As specified in post three, you highlight the text and click the "Code" button at the top (sitting between the "Quote" and the "URL" buttons.)

Q: Is there a specific word count or format?
    A: There is no specific word count, but there is a format and max page length. Times font, 12pt, double-spaced, 10 pages max. The number of pages allowed may change.

Q: Is there a prompt?
    A: There is no prompt. What's the fun in writing about an idea that wasn't your own?

Q: How do you win "up to 1.25 mil"?
    A: The only way to win up to 1.25 million gold is to enter two pieces and win both the Grand and Secondary prizes.

Q: How are the pieces judged?
    A: The pieces will be judged on many things, including originality and creativity.

» S u b m i s s i o n s

Jade Playhouse by Yume The Loving creature
    Utnapishtim Drug by GarGo0or
    Buried History by GarGo0or

Dangerous Enabler

What do you mean by code form?

Do you have a specific word count you're looking for? Different formatting can yield very different page counts, and short paragraphs would reduce what one could write under those guidelines.

Beloved Lightbringer

34,775 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Cosmic Healer 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I would love to enter your contest. However, as I usually like to write a new piece for each contest (as opposed to recycling old work), I have a question: Are you sure you want to open a writing contest for only three days? This forum really doesn't move that quickly, and you'll probably have a lot of regulars who will never even see it before it closes, let alone have time to enter. It's just a thought; you can do whatever you'd like. That being said, I'd better go get to writing. O_o

I second phantomkitsune, though. What is 'code form'?

Eloquent Informer

6,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Autobiographer 200
I thought there might be a bit of confusion as to what I meant by "Code Form." Here's an example:

You enter your piece like this.

@phantomkitsune: I do not have a specific word count, but I have specified the absolute length of the story using a particular format. That is 10 pages, Times font, 12pt, double spaced. The code format allows me to copy raw text from Gaia Online and input it into Microsoft Word where I can make sure the text is within the given parameters.

@Reed Meroe: I will increase the amount of time for submissions based upon the number of submissions I receive by the end of tonight.

Eloquent Informer

6,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Autobiographer 200
The rules have been updated and a F.A.Q. sections has also been added. However, if anyone has a question that isn't answered by the F.A.Q. feel free to post it here.

Eloquent Informer

6,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Eloquent Informer

6,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Submission deadline has changed.

Dangerous Enabler

It's unnecessary to bump - the WC is quite slow.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Eloquent Informer

6,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Autobiographer 200
I quite like bumping.

Chatty Conversationalist

6,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Please let me join!!~
I love the fact that you have nothing specific for this!!! whee whee

Bashful Friend

I think I might join xD. But with school starting back up I might not have the time to write it. Sigh~ But If I do have the time, I'd love to enter.
First entry sent. It's just under the ten page (double=spaced) limit.

Second entry sent too. ^_^

Familiar Lunatic

6,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Oh god, I have the perfect piece for this, but it's way over the max 10-page limit. Guess if I'll just have to try and put something else out because this sounds really fun!

Greedy Nerd

16,825 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Who's The Boss Now? 300
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Sounds interesting. I'm gonna try to attempt it with only 8 days left but if it's not in by the deadline, then i'm a lost cause. crying

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff