- Posted: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:08:17 +0000
Fizzy's Poetry Editing Contest
CLOSED FOR JUDGING
CLOSED FOR JUDGING
What is this contest about?
Hi, guys. Just for fun, I'd like to reward Gaian poetics and editing. But PLEASE read the rules. Please? Lots of people are getting confused. There are multitudes of poetry contests out there that will accept your final poem as-is, and that's fine. But...
THIS CONTEST IS ABOUT EDITING AND DRAFTING
1st – 1.5 MILLION gold = TAHRILLO
2nd – 500,000 gold = AGED CHERRY TWIZZLERS
3rd – 200,000 gold = SHYANIA
Runners-up (100,000 gold): Holy Wars in my Fistula, iiMusicAddict, Xxmelie877xX, XoX_aome_XoX
Bonus: 150,000g to the best editor I find amongst the entries = HOLY WARS IN MY FISTULA
Bonus: 150,000g to the best poem about betta fish = 2POUND
Thanks to our benefactors: How Sweet It Isn't and anonymous folks. Woo! What a prize pool!
The rules – step by step
1. Post your poem in the OP/L and specify that you are looking for critiques and constructive feedback. (If you feel that your poem is already of a publishable standard, this is not the competition for you. Turn back. Find a poem you need to work on, and post that.)
2. Follow these protocol:
– Any form is okay and there is no theme.
– Keep your poems under 30 lines.
– One entry only per person.
– There need to have been at least 10 entries for the competition to go ahead.
– You may only enter your own original work. Plagiarised entries will be discarded.
– Please post your work in a font that is legible and plain.
3. ENSURE that you keep a copy of the FIRST DRAFT in your OP/L thread. I want to see how far your poem comes with editing.
3. Wait for critiques. Contact some of the people listed below if you find your thread is too quiet. Workshop the poem.
4. Edit. Edit edit edit. Edit a lot.
5. When you are happy with your edited poem, submit it here, using the entry form below. Link me back to your OP/L thread, which contains:
– your first draft;
– your final draft;
– at least one critique from someone else; and
– edits/discussion based on that critique.
6. Congratulations. You have edited your poem and entered my poetry contest.
THE KEY BIT, TO RECAP: Each entrant needs to supply evidence that the poem has been workshopped and edited in the Gaia Original Poetry/Lyrics subforum. (A link to the thread will suffice.) I want to see your best work and I want to SEE your editing. Many folks in the OP/L do this every day (i.e. workshop and edit their poems); they are all eligible already.
PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE ENTERING. IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS, YOUR ENTRY IS INVALID.
[b]Age:[/b] (optional, but it gives me context when judging)
[b]Link to edits/workshopped poem:[/b]
[b]Have you read and understood the rules?[/b]
Deadline: July 25
That should give you plenty of time for editing. I'm looking for fresh writing, interesting forms, and excellent editing. I've extended it by a month, since we have had so many problems.
IF YOU NEED FEEDBACK ON YOUR OP/L POEM, these Gaian poets are available to help you edit:
- the rebel prince!
- Aged Cherry Twizzlers
- passy indoors
- Seremela Nolatari
And here's a picture of a cat as Fred Astaire:
Any questions can be posted here or PM'd to me. I will endeavour to post the results and award the prizes within a month of the closing date.