Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fizzy's Poetry Editing Contest
CLOSED FOR JUDGING

What is this contest about?

Hi, guys. Just for fun, I'd like to reward Gaian poetics and editing. But PLEASE read the rules. Please? Lots of people are getting confused. There are multitudes of poetry contests out there that will accept your final poem as-is, and that's fine. But...

THIS CONTEST IS ABOUT EDITING AND DRAFTING

The prizes
1st – 1.5 MILLION gold = TAHRILLO
2nd – 500,000 gold = AGED CHERRY TWIZZLERS
3rd – 200,000 gold = SHYANIA

Runners-up (100,000 gold): Holy Wars in my Fistula, iiMusicAddict, Xxmelie877xX, XoX_aome_XoX

Bonus: 150,000g to the best editor I find amongst the entries = HOLY WARS IN MY FISTULA

Bonus: 150,000g to the best poem about betta fish = 2POUND

Thanks to our benefactors: How Sweet It Isn't and anonymous folks. Woo! What a prize pool!

The rules – step by step
1. Post your poem in the OP/L and specify that you are looking for critiques and constructive feedback. (If you feel that your poem is already of a publishable standard, this is not the competition for you. Turn back. Find a poem you need to work on, and post that.)

2. Follow these protocol:
– Any form is okay and there is no theme.
– Keep your poems under 30 lines.
– One entry only per person.
– There need to have been at least 10 entries for the competition to go ahead.
– You may only enter your own original work. Plagiarised entries will be discarded.
– Please post your work in a font that is legible and plain.

3. ENSURE that you keep a copy of the FIRST DRAFT in your OP/L thread. I want to see how far your poem comes with editing.

3. Wait for critiques. Contact some of the people listed below if you find your thread is too quiet. Workshop the poem.

4. Edit. Edit edit edit. Edit a lot.

5. When you are happy with your edited poem, submit it here, using the entry form below. Link me back to your OP/L thread, which contains:
– your first draft;
– your final draft;
– at least one critique from someone else; and
– edits/discussion based on that critique.

6. Congratulations. You have edited your poem and entered my poetry contest.

THE KEY BIT, TO RECAP: Each entrant needs to supply evidence that the poem has been workshopped and edited in the Gaia Original Poetry/Lyrics subforum. (A link to the thread will suffice.) I want to see your best work and I want to SEE your editing. Many folks in the OP/L do this every day (i.e. workshop and edit their poems); they are all eligible already.

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE ENTERING. IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS, YOUR ENTRY IS INVALID.

Entry form

[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] (optional, but it gives me context when judging)
[b]Link to edits/workshopped poem:[/b]
[b]Have you read and understood the rules?[/b]
[b]Poem:[/b]

Deadline: July 25

That should give you plenty of time for editing. I'm looking for fresh writing, interesting forms, and excellent editing. I've extended it by a month, since we have had so many problems.

OP/L Critics
IF YOU NEED FEEDBACK ON YOUR OP/L POEM, these Gaian poets are available to help you edit:
- the rebel prince!
- Aged Cherry Twizzlers
- SexyTLC
- passy indoors
- 2pound
- Tahrillo
- Seremela Nolatari
- Fizzlesticks

And here's a picture of a cat as Fred Astaire:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Any questions can be posted here or PM'd to me. I will endeavour to post the results and award the prizes within a month of the closing date.
Reserved for list of entrants

1. lebayum
2. MissAlice-Everlasting
3. 2pound
4. Tahrillo
5. iiMusicAddict
6. Lyrca
7. Shyania
8. Scarlotte (final draft to be confirmed)
9. EstoPerpetua (final draft to be confirmed)
10. Sonic Ambrose
11. La Chatte du Cirque
12. Xxmelie877xX (final draft to be confirmed)
13. XoX_aome_XoX
14. FrostedMidnight (final draft to be confirmed)
15. U n d r a w n
16. Holy Wars In My Fistula (final draft to be confirmed)
17. Rin Sela (final draft to be confirmed)
18. Phantom Kitsune
19. Aged Cherry Twizzlers
20. Angel Slippers

Clean Dabbler

6,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
We Are The Gaians

Several years ago...
Something was born it wasnt like the others, it wasnt human!
Everyone picked and made fun of it! They didnt understand its "special" features!
Nobody is like it! 'Nobody will ever understand' it thought!
It was a GAIAN!! 'Why may I be in this form' it thought!
It wished there was a way to make everyone like it!
Until oneday... It had a great idea!
It got on this thing called a computer!
Went to www.Makeaweb.com, and set its imagination off in a brand new website.
But on the website all it could think to put is:

WE ARE THE GAIANS!

*this is a little poem i wrote, and im sorry if it doesnt rhyme*

Hot_Death_Eater
Hot_Death_Eater
We Are The Gaians

Several years ago...
Something was born it wasnt like the others, it wasnt human!
Everyone picked and made fun of it! They didnt understand its "special" features!
Nobody is like it! 'Nobody will ever understand' it thought!
It was a GAIAN!! 'Why may I be in this form' it thought!
It wished there was a way to make everyone like it!
Until oneday... It had a great idea!
It got on this thing called a computer!
Went to www.Makeaweb.com, and set its imagination off in a brand new website.
But on the website all it could think to put is:

WE ARE THE GAIANS!

*this is a little poem i wrote, and im sorry if it doesnt rhyme*

Hot_Death_Eater

Thanks, but:

Fizzlesticks

The rules
3. Each entrant needs to supply evidence that the poem has been workshopped and edited in the Gaia Original Poetry/Lyrics subforum. (A link to the thread will suffice.) I want to see your best work.

Clean Dabbler

6,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Fiddlesticks......I did not copy that from somewhere else but i will try my best to send you a thread.....if i do not get it to you by the setted date for it to end i will still try to get it to you.....you may count me out of the contest if not returned by setted date for it to end.....that will be your chose to do so.....do not hesitate to ask me.....i will try to start the thread now......BEST WISHES TO OTHER CONTESTANTS.....
Hot_Death_Eater
Fiddlesticks......I did not copy that from somewhere else but i will try my best to send you a thread.....if i do not get it to you by the setted date for it to end i will still try to get it to you.....you may count me out of the contest if not returned by setted date for it to end.....that will be your chose to do so.....do not hesitate to ask me.....i will try to start the thread now......BEST WISHES TO OTHER CONTESTANTS.....

Go to the poetry forum and click "new thead."

Cheers,

Fizzlesticks
-Seasons-

As the seasons change,
We all just watch and wait
For the inevitable;
It'll spring out before you know it.
A girl with her summer hair
Falls into the winter snow,
As the inevitable takes her by surprise.
And before she knows it
The year has passed.
He walks in- smiling as the sun shines so bright
Her hair like summer- her face like night.
He lays in the grass,
The world can only watch
And wait until she falls asleep,
For, only then
Will the world feel the dawning of a new year.
Evit Avonnie
-Seasons-

Thanks, but:

Fizzlesticks

The rules
3. Each entrant needs to supply evidence that the poem has been workshopped and edited in the Gaia Original Poetry/Lyrics subforum. (A link to the thread will suffice.) I want to see your best work.

I see the rebel prince gave you feedback in the OP/L. Edit the piece. Then come back.
For the sake of His Noodley Appendages, guys. There are rules. Read the rules? It's kind of obvious. How many times do I have to say it?
Fizzlesticks

What if you don't get any suggestions? D: I am fairly certain someone will point out something wrong, but on the off chance they don't, what then?
iDatenshi
Fizzlesticks

What if you don't get any suggestions? D: I am fairly certain someone will point out something wrong, but on the off chance they don't, what then?

That's a good suggestion.

Pursue the OP/L regs (e.g. the rebel prince is behind this one!) or even me, at a stretch. Editing sans workshopping is okay to. My main requirement is seeing that drafting has taken place.

Would a list of OP/L regs willing to be called on help?
Fizzlesticks
iDatenshi
Fizzlesticks

Pursue the OP/L regs (e.g. the rebel prince is behind this one!) or even me, at a stretch. Editing sans workshopping is okay to. My main requirement is seeing that drafting has taken place.

A list might be useful, but I don't want to bug someone if they don't want to do it. I could edit it myself by this point probably, it's been a bit since I wrote it now so I would be able to see the mistakes easier.
iDatenshi
Fizzlesticks
iDatenshi
Fizzlesticks

A list might be useful, but I don't want to bug someone if they don't want to do it. I could edit it myself by this point probably, it's been a bit since I wrote it now so I would be able to see the mistakes easier.

Well, at this point, The rebel prince! or me. I'll put feelers out.

And edit for yourself too.
i wouldn't mind giving some critiques. the past, like, five i've given in the op/l have gotten exactly no response, which is sort of disheartening, so i'd love to be able to help people who are actually interested 3nodding

Mewling Darling

Just as the person above me has mentioned, I also am willing to help anyone who may need help editing/proofreading anything.

I have some credentials:
    I've been proofreading stories, essays, poems, and more since I was in 8th grade. I am now a college sophomore studying Advanced Grammar, Linguistics, and Writing Composition. I also was an editor for my college's newspaper for a year and a half.

I can help with changing wording, omitting lines, and bettering the word flow. I can also help with spelling, grammar--that includes usage and sentence structure--and punctuation. Not a necessary thing for poems, but if you want that, I'll be happy to help with it.

So, to anyone: don't hesitate to ask me for help!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff