Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pie?

Okay 1 100.0% [ 35 ]
Total Votes:[ 35 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

heart Sylphi's Demonic Love Poetry Contest heart

Welcome. This is a silly contest for serious poets or wannabe-poets. The intention is for you to both have fun and yet also stretch your writing abilities.

Every two weeks, this contest's theme will change and prizes will be awarded. This week's theme is "Demonic Love". Interpret that as you wish.

There are a few additional requirements: You may not use the words "A," "An," "The," "I," or "You" (or any words which mean the same thing, or their grammatical variants, such as 'myself' or 'yours',) in your poem. Why? To stretch your mind. This requirement may change from cycle to cycle.

Contents:

Intro
Details
Judges
Rules
Themes
Entrants
Winners
Start date: Monday, Jan. O2. (yes, I know that was two days ago, I'm sorry.)
End date: 11:59PM Sunday, Jan 15.

Minimum entry: 1.

Fee: 50g. Please label it 'poetry contest' so I'll know which of my contests it corresponds to.

Prizes:
1st: 700G
2nd: 500G
3rd: 300G

All entrance fees and any donations will go towards the prizes. Any leftovers will either be used to increase the prizes, or roll over into the next contest's prizes.

I have lowered the prizes slightly since running this every two weeks will be a drain on my resources.

Please PM me your poem and post it in the thread.
Judges:

Me

Christianne_015

Other people

...I need judges! Please PM if you wish to be a judge. If you are not someone whom I know, please include either a sample of what you consider to be a 'good' poem, or else describe your criteria for what makes a good poem.
Rules:

0. Use normal font size and color unless you have a really good reason not to. If I have to squint to read your poem, or you post it in pink, which I can't read at all, I won't read it.

1. Use spellcheck.

2. Use the dictionary (dictionary.com) if you don't know the meaning of a word.

3. Do not angst. If you angst, I will laugh at you.

4. Know your s**t. This means that if you write about real things, make sure you actually know what you're writing about. Factual innacuracy pisses me off, especially when we have google.

5. Be courteous to each other.

6. Don't get pissed off if I critique your poem negatively. It won't do you any good for people to pretend you're a delicate little flower whose feelings can't possibly be hurt or dooom! I offer critiques to be helpful. If you don't want a crit, either say so in the first place, or else don't post.

7. Tell me if English isn't your first language.

8. What if you're late? I'm not evil, but you know when the deadline is. If I'm asleep at the deadline (hah!) I'll accept anything that's been submitted when I wake up; otherwise, you have about a 30 min. grace period. If you're out of town or hosed or whatever, this isn't everyone else's problem and they shouldn't have to wait for prizes to be announced because of you.

9. Follow the prompt and do not use the words "A," "An," "The," "I," or "You" in your poem. Or any of their grammatical variants, or try to trick me into accepting them. I am not stupid.

We, he, she, it, our, they, themselves, their, etc. are all acceptable. As is y'all, if for some reason you wanted it.

9. Have fun.
Themes:

Jan 02-15: Demonic Love

Jan 16-29: Broken Hearts

Jan 30-whatever that day in February is: Musical Poetry

Feel free to get started on the later contests, but don't send/post poems for them until they start.
Entrants: ( heart = entered, domokun = paid, crying = in violation of rules)

1. Monsory Exanchez heart , crying (I, you)

2. Ralph_Keidolurgon domokun heart

3. Hotaru_Rikatomoe domokun

4. Zoharial domokun domokun heart

5. Wasted_dawn domokun heart

6. welcometomyhell domokun heart
Winners

Donations and funds:

Quote:
The WW+CCF has donated 3,000g.

Zoharial has kindly donated 600g.

Many, many thanks to both of our kind donators.

Current funds: 3,750g
Demonic Love Poem

Unusual and creepy, though love will not stop me.
Please, lend me you're hand, and Ill send a carrior dove.
Thy love someone else, but please forget.
Its nervous, around love, but thy makes me laugh.
Monsory Exanchez
Demonic Love Poem

Unusual and creepy, though love will not stop me.
Please, lend me you're hand, and Ill send a carrior dove.
Thy love someone else, but please forget.
Its nervous, around love, but thy makes me laugh.

Just for the sake of winning, I'd recommend running this through spellcheck, using contractions properly, (you're=you are; Its=posessive of It,) and using 'thy' correctly. (It means roughly 'your', not 'you', which would be thee or thou.)

Also, you used the word "I" (contraction form, "I'll" wink and since you obviously are using 'thy' to mean 'you', I am going to count it as such. I am not stupid, after all.
Good news, everyone, we have a second judge, the lovely christianne_015!
WELL, IM FRIGING 10 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!
Monsory Exanchez
WELL, IM FRIGING 10 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!

Which is why I'm advising you to use spellcheck rather than saying, 'Nurr, you misspelled something, no cookie for you, nurr.' I do like people to follow the rules, but I'm not going to be mean about it.

PS: to quote rule 6: Don't get pissed off if I critique your poem negatively. It won't do you any good for people to pretend you're a delicate little flower whose feelings can't possibly be hurt or dooom! I offer critiques to be helpful. If you don't want a crit, either say so in the first place, or else don't post.

My intention is to be helpful.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces