Welcome to Gaia! ::

Opinionated Pumpkin

14,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

Introduction and general information

Hello and welcome to this humble little contest. I'm AphroditesChild, or Aphro if you will, and I will be keeping things organized, as well as judge the entries. 6 prizes will be handed out to 6 lucky winners, the Grand prices being the higher, while the Honorable mentions less, but just as worthy to reward. I would recommend reading the rules and requirements well, as they hold a lot of information.

The contest will last from April 8th to April 30th

Grand prizes:

1st - Modus Operandi

2nd - Vampire Sound

3rd - Nurse Hazard

Honorable mentions:

Best dialog - 100k

Best character interpretation - 100k

Best description - 100k

Opinionated Pumpkin

14,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

Rules and requirements

- All entries must be literate, and preferably have proper set up.

- All contestants are allowed to turn inn up to 3 entries each, which will all be judged as individual pieces.

- The minimum word-count is 350. Beyond that, the contestant may write as much as he or she wants.

- Poems, sadly, will not be considered as entries this time around.

- The contestants are required to know a little about the culture in London during the 1880's, as well as history.

- The contestants have permission to add their own OCs (original characters) in the story, if they fit inn and they complement the characters. See Genre and Setting as a general pointer.

- The contestants must respect the characters.

- By applying, the contestant gives me permission to post their works in my guild where I keep almost all of my received writing. The entries will not be posted there until the prices have been handed out and the judging is finished. If you feel uncomfortable with this, speak to me about it.

- I don't bite. The contestants are allowed to ask as many questions as they like.

Opinionated Pumpkin

14,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

Genre

It's a little difficult to pin-point the genre of this contest, but the entries must contain at least one of these;

Historical fantasy, drama, mystery, horror, romance

Setting

London, 1880's. Daimon Theater is prospering. You're not high class if you haven't attended a performance there and seen the theater group. But strange things are happening in the area, and more and more dead bodies are turning up. Something suspicious might be going on, and the actors lives are more dramatic then you think...

Not much of a setting, but it sets the mood.

Profiles

oOo

Opinionated Pumpkin

14,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

How to apply

Post this mini form in the thread, so that I may give you a contestant number.

[color=red][size=24]I, (insert username), want to join inn on this contest![/size][/color]

How to turn inn an entry

PM me with this information in the title; entry number, username, and title of the piece. One entry per PM.

The PM must be set up like this inside; title, username and then your entry.

Hopefully, none of this is too difficult.

Opinionated Pumpkin

14,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

List of contestants

01. Ginger with a soul
02. Space Uppercut
03. vampireluvr97
04. MearaT

etc.

Opinionated Pumpkin

14,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

AQ

All asked questions will be posted here.

Are you charging an entry fee?: No, no entry fee is listed. Quite honestly I think the idea of an entrance fee on a online contest for virtual items silly. To join is free.

By literate, what do you mean?: When I address literate, I'm referring to understandable set ups and grammar that makes sense. Of course there's always room for error. Everyone makes those. Especially me. No chat speak, basically, or whatever you kids call it these days.

How can I determine if a character fits into the story or not?: I have no doubt a pink haired neko in lolita outfit is out place in this story, but so might a regular looking character that fits too well as a friend for one of the characters. More about dynamic in my opinion when it comes to this. They have to bring something to the story, not just suck up to the characters (unless it's important). "Everything happens for a reason" as they say. Sorry for being vague.

When it comes to romance, what do you prefer? Yuri, yaoi, het?: There are no official homosexual relationships in the story, except Bernard's. It's gonna have to be het.

Opinionated Pumpkin

14,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
We're up and running! <3
I, Ginger with a soul, want to join in on this contest!

Opinionated Pumpkin

14,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Ginger with a soul
I, Ginger with a soul, want to join in on this contest!
Congratulations! You are contestant number 01. You will now be put on the list.

Shameless Star

17,025 Points
  • Chocolatier’s Faithful Gift 200
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

Opinionated Pumpkin

14,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Joanne Watson
heart
Starrii! You found this place~. <3

Shameless Star

17,025 Points
  • Chocolatier’s Faithful Gift 200
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
AphroditesChild
Joanne Watson
heart
Starrii! You found this place~. <3

YES IM A STALKER

heart nice contest

Dangerous Enabler

Grand prices? So you're charging an entry fee?

By literal, what do you mean? You want no metaphor or simile or imagery at all?

Into which inn must all of the characters fit? I want to be certain, as, while many are quite spacious, the particular one to which you refer might have architectural peculiarities that dictate some details of the story.

What manner of compliments do the characters prefer? With imagery ruled out, that obviates throwing most famous sonnets at them, but there are others, one supposes.

Any elucidation you can provide would be much appreciated.

Opinionated Pumpkin

14,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
phantomkitsune
Grand prices? So you're charging an entry fee?

By literal, what do you mean? You want no metaphor or simile or imagery at all?

Into which inn must all of the characters fit? I want to be certain, as, while many are quite spacious, the particular one to which you refer might have architectural peculiarities that dictate some details of the story.

What manner of compliments do the characters prefer? With imagery ruled out, that obviates throwing most famous sonnets at them, but there are others, one supposes.

Any elucidation you can provide would be much appreciated.
Very good questions. I was afraid I had missed out on something.

No, no entry fee is listed. Quite honestly I think the idea of an entrance fee on a online contest for virtual items silly. To join is free.

When I address literal, I'm referring to typography. An understandable set up and grammar that makes sense. Of course there's always room for error. Everyone makes those. Especially me. No chat speak, basically, or whatever you kids call it these days. You may go nuts with metaphors and so on. It would be stripping down to the bone if we didn't have a little bit of those here and there. Would be a pure shame really.

I have no doubt a pink haired neko in lolita outfit is out place in this story, but so might a regular looking character that fits too well as a friend for one of the characters. More about dynamic in my opinion when it comes to this. They have to bring something to the story, not just suck up to the characters (unless it's important). "Everything happens for a reason" as they say.

Imagery is not ruled out, don't worry. But throwing sonnets isn't really bad either.

Hopefully, I haven't missed anything.

Opinionated Pumpkin

14,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
AphroditesChild
Adding to the AQ

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff