Alien 0.090361445783133 9.0% [ 15 ]
All 0.32530120481928 32.5% [ 54 ]
None 0.10240963855422 10.2% [ 17 ]
A couple of them 0.25903614457831 25.9% [ 43 ]
Just passing by...(Gold) 0.14457831325301 14.5% [ 24 ]
Total Votes:[ 166 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28 29 30 > >>

User Image

Hey I'm Aliya and this is my contest! Now I'm a big Science Fiction fan and write about that subject all the time since it's just what I love to write about! For this contest I would like to know how you would write a Science Fiction story or Poem.

UPDATED: 2/14/2010
CHECK BOTTOM OF POST!!!

Prizes:

1st Place - 7.5K plus May 2007 Letter

2nd Place - 5K plus September 2007 Letter

3rd Place - 2.5K plus December 2007 Letter

x3 Honorable Mentions - November 2007 Letter

(Approximate value 185K)

Major Thanks to the Writers Workshop and Contest Charity Foundation for donating the prizes!!!

Thank You!!!^^

The Themes and Limits:

1. Post Apocalyptic Scene (Poetry and Short Story)

2. Across the Stars Romance (Poetry and Short Story)

3. A Classic Alien Invasion (Short Story)

4. Experiment Gone Wrong (Short Story)

5. Upon Your own Planet (Poetry)

6. Seeing into the Heavens (Poetry)

7. What Would be the Future (Poetry and Short Story)

Keep the stories above 1,000 words and under 4,000 words. It can be a little over but must be at least 1,000 words.

Poems must be at least 6 lines long and no more than 20.

You can mix 2 of the Themes together if you'd like but only 2.

There will be 20 entries allowed in all. No more, no Less.

Rules:

Follow Gaia's TOS.

NO advertising in this thread, if you do it will be considered Spam.

There is no entry fee for the contest.

You must follow one of the prose unless I give permission otherwise.

Ask me questions in the thread, DO NOT PM me or any of the judges unless I or they give permission for you to. PM's will be ignored unless we gave you permission.

Be Literate. dO NoT tYp LkE tHiS!!! Or any chat or L33T speak.

Keep it PG-13. Meaning no sexual themes or parts, overuse of gore, violence, swearing and no using the "F" Bomb at all! (Moderation of these in other words)

If you would like critique from other people in the thread then please clearly state that you do at the beginning of your entry or it will not be given. The judges will not give critique till after the contest is over and we have posted the results. This is only to be fair to all of the contestants to keep everyone on even ground.

You may give critique to others IF they ask for it and if it is constructive. If they don't then you may not give critique.

For the Bonus Contest I will give the prize to the first person who posts the Correct answer in the thread. If it is wrong then I go to the next till I find the right one. You can answer the same question as many times as you want till the right one is posted and then I will move onto the next one. Please don't randomly guess, look for the right answer.

There will be no whining, pestering or begging any of the judges or other contestants.

You must create an original piece of writing for this contest. Nothing pre-written or from other contests.

You may only enter ONE Piece of writing.

Use the Entry form given when posting your piece of writing. All of it must be filled out.

Post your entry in the thread and only the thread, no links outside the thread and do not PM it to me or the judges.

Only post what you are entering for the contest in the thread, no other writing can be posted.

You may edit it up till the day the contest ends after that I and the judges will not take anymore edits.

You may post your entry before it's done and add/edit on as you go but please have it ready before the due date.

If you're absent from the thread for a long period of time and don't have something turned in I may have to remove you from the list. This is because sometimes people sign up for a contest and don't return and it takes up spots on the list for those who will enter. If you have a story submitted then your safe.

I as the host will ban/disqualify anyone who who breaks these rules, they are very simple and are easy to follow. If they are still not clear to you then ask in the thread.

Grading for Stories:

5 points for Conventions (Spelling, Grammar etc...)
5 points for Creative Word Use
5 points for Sticking to the Theme
5 points for Keeping Interest of Reader
1 point for Completion of Story*
10 points for Originality
---------------------
31 Points In All

Grading for Poetry:

5 points for Conventions (Spelling, Grammar etc...)
5 points for Creative Word Use
5 points for Sticking to the Theme
5 points for Keeping Interest of Reader
1 point for Completion of Poem
5 points for Originality
5 points for Flow of Poem
---------------------
31 Points In All

*Note: This does not include a story that has an open ending leaving the reader wondering what will happen next and doesn't come to a abrupt stop. (Like Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back ending, complete but open for more)

Judges:
Rayout Aliya (Host)
IvyStarling
Ember8495

Ok, first off I'd like to say sorry for the very, very long wait for judging to take place but my classes and life in general have been keeping me busy and I am unable to finish the critiques and the point system was taking too long as well. So thanks to Ivy we are going with a new system that will be easier and simpler for us to use so the prizes can be given out!!! Check out page 29 for the post with details. Thank you all for waiting.
Entries:

1.tonoxtekko: To Search for the Truth Page 3 Link In progress
2.WierdRandomGurl: Time Machine (Need Link)
3._star_child_07: Viridis Page 21 Link
4.Grike: Dealership Page 22 Link Inprogress
5.l-l Loveless Suki l-l: Cute, but Psyco Page 10 Link
6.La Cerise Noire: Another World Out There? Page 9 Link
7.Emerald Kissed Skies: A Stolen Glimpse Page 10, Page 10 Link
8.Slowly Falling Away: And An Impossible Ending Page 12 Link
9.loverst harding: Satellites Page 18 Link
10.xx__Tickle me IMO: Build Strong Bones Page 19 Link
11.DSU42: The Dragon Page 14 Link
12.Sunshine Civalization: TBA Page 22 Link In Progress
13.xx Princess Winter xx: Our Greatest NeedPage 15 Link
14.P U R P L E D O M I N O: Waiting for entry
15.Niyari: Aliens Were Never Really Cool Page 22 Link
16.MnM-Cutie-Pie: Waiting for Entry
17.Sophonix: Dreaming Page 23 Link
18.Edwardoh: I Wake to This? Page 23 Link
19.-LadyxPhantom-: Tiliava Nights Page 23 Link
20.Lord Jerec: Droplets of Light Page 24 Link
Form for Entering:

Name:
Poem or Short Story?:
Theme from List:
Do you want Critique?:
Number of Words (story) or Number of Lines (poem):
Page Number and Link to Page:
Title of Story or Poem:
Entry of Poem or Story:
Bonus Contest!

I saw this in a contest recently and I thought it was a cool idea so I'm trying it out. There is a story in my Journal called "Transported" and I will ask a Trivia Question about each chapter(s) and the first to get it will recieve a small bonus starting at 150g and working it's way up as the questions go farther in the story and the story is rather long so it could get pretty high. You can win more than one question.

Chapter One
Chapters 2-3
Chapter 4-5

Chapter 6-7 Question:

Will post later, need to think of one...
Affiliates:

User Image
WINNERS!!!

Sorry for the very, very long wait, sweatdrop life kept getting in the way among a number of things User Image )

1st Place: lovest harding with Satellites

2nd Place: l-l Loveless Suki l-l with Cute but Psycho

3rd: Slowly Falling Away with An Impossible Ending

Honorable Mentions:

Lord Jerec with Droplets of Light

Edwardoh with Dreaming

xx__Tickle me IMO with Build Strong Bones

Thanks sooo much for your patience! Have fun with your spoils!

Note: With the new MyGaia in place there isn't any notifications for Trades so go to the Trades page and the trade I sent should be on there.
I'm sort of considering entering this, just so you know. Science fiction isn't my strong point, but I think that perhaps I can come up with something for one of the topics you have. Probably either theme one or four.
Gravetye
I'm sort of considering entering this, just so you know. Science fiction isn't my strong point, but I think that perhaps I can come up with something for one of the topics you have. Probably either theme one or four.

That's ok, glad your considering!^^ Oh and sorry if the rules sounded harsh, I didn't want people to just fool around with it. Also I want to get a loan for this so I can have even bigger prizes and I have to have at least 15 people enter to do so. So be sure to tell people about it!^^
rayout Aliya
Gravetye

That's ok, glad your considering!^^ Oh and sorry if the rules sounded harsh, I didn't want people to just fool around with it. Also I want to get a loan for this so I can have even bigger prizes and I have to have at least 15 people enter to do so. So be sure to tell people about it!^^

The rules seem fine to me. Nothing out of the ordinary or crazy, and definitely nothing hard to obey. So it's cool. And I will see about trying to get others to join. Perhaps my sister... Though she isn't known for entering writing contests. I'll contact others as well though, I think. Good luck with your contest!
Gravetye
rayout Aliya
Gravetye

The rules seem fine to me. Nothing out of the ordinary or crazy, and definitely nothing hard to obey. So it's cool. And I will see about trying to get others to join. Perhaps my sister... Though she isn't known for entering writing contests. I'll contact others as well though, I think. Good luck with your contest!

Thanks a bunch!!!^^ Just tell me when your ready and I'll ad you to the contestant list.
I am a judge~ biggrin
I just got play Booty Grab on your aquarium, Aliya ^^
IvyStarling
I just got play Booty Grab on your aquarium, Aliya ^^

Oh cool, what fish did you get?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items