PROMPT ROUND 0.17021276595745 17.0% [ 16 ]
Woot panda! 0.29787234042553 29.8% [ 28 ]
Total Votes:[ 94 ]

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
phantomkitsune

Haha, we are practically writing letters to each other at this point.

Sorry! xD I get very talky and then vanish, haha.

phantomkitsune
Well, we met our freshman year of university, when our dorm rooms were right next to each other, but we've been restricted to just online communication the past couple years while I've been here - she's visited once, and I've visited once, but it's rather expensive. I was lucky enough to have a fairly literary circle of friends in high school, though I go to my online friends more about writing these days.

Oh, nice! That's too bad about the visiting, though.

I find for the most part internet friends tend to be more honest, possibly because there's the 'I may never see you again' aspect? Might just be the crowd I hang out with, though.

I hope you guys get to see each other again soon! Don't buy any Strawberry Frappuccinos from Starbucks, though.

phantomkitsune
That's one of the things that I like about fanfiction, that I can chill out and not worry as much about perspective and do storytelling things that amuse me: for one week straight we just put up error messages and cackled.

Yeah, exactly.

I'm sure your fans appreciated that. xD

phantomkitsune
I think the diary-thing wouldn't quite pass as traditional memoir: I'm using the conceit that the main character is a spy in near-future but quite obviously technologically and culturally shifted China. It really sucks for your aunt that the editing process hurt the story that way.

Oh, that sounds really cool! I'm sure schools would love it for the ties between author and (I assume?) character, then.

Yeah, it does suck that happened. They got her to change the title from, 'The Poor People's Prayer,' to a title I liked more, so I at least agreed with them on that. Apparently they were very nice and approachable, too.

phantomkitsune
Homestuck resolved a lot of things - we're just past the second intermission in Act 6. There's actually been a fair amount of exposition on the way the whole thing works, as well as direct in-work meta-commentary by the author. I think it's at a not-too-cliffhanger-y part right now, if you were to start reading things again: there are a few obvious things coming, but we have fairly decent ideas of how it'll play out.

Oh, cool! I'll have to check it out some time, then. I'm actually on my dad's computer, so I'll hold off until I have mine again. Hopefully it won't be back to the cliffhanger by that time! xD

phantomkitsune
I mostly like using technology to illustrate a post-singularity universe: a couple story-universes have fairly casual implants, like augmented cognition and retinal-implant computer monitors. The interaction and interplay between humanity and technology is fascinating to me, and I like playing with that. Also spaceships, and sometimes space operas. A friend of mind suggested Pride and Prejudice-stuck in space, and it's still lurking in the back of my head wanting to happen. For urban fantasy, a lot of both: I've done retellings of a bunch of fairy tales in modern settings, and am currently working on even more (though very, very slowly), and for my novel I nicked King Arthur and strained him through some Welsh myth and shoved him in as a background character, along with some old Irish myths and Jewish myth and Eastern Iranian religious language used as epithets stirred into bildungsroman featuring an attitudinal pot-smoking New Yorker.

Wow, sounds very cool. You do your homework! I love the diversity.

Also; Pride and Prejudice: The Space Opera needs to happen. If they can make a zombie version, there is no reason there shouldn't be a space opera one. xD

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
phantomkitsune

Rotsab tells me you are responsible for this terrible pun of his rofl

Rotsab M. Hyolf

I have to say, the critiques are very in-depth and well done! You're also very much living up to your nickname of Solar, and I'm afraid I may need to get out some sunscreen for the burn going on. (Sorry, I told PK I was going to whip up a pun out of nowhere. ) xD Actually, I was rereading my piece earlier today and I think I know what two things you're going to really dislike about it. Arrrrgh 20/20.

Oh well, I'll know better for next time!

Dangerous Enabler

Hope you managed some sleep, TLM!

The Solarised Night
I am responsible for all bad puns everywhere. Yes.

Rotsab M. Hyolf
Sorry! xD I get very talky and then vanish, haha.
Nah, talky is fun!

Rotsab M. Hyolf
Oh, nice! That's too bad about the visiting, though.

I find for the most part internet friends tend to be more honest, possibly because there's the 'I may never see you again' aspect? Might just be the crowd I hang out with, though.

I hope you guys get to see each other again soon! Don't buy any Strawberry Frappuccinos from Starbucks, though.
Ugh, yes, the coloring thing is creepy.

The plan is for me to move back this fall, which is looking sort of like a thing that may actually happen if I can get a job or sort out reciprocity so that the license I'm a third of the way through getting (and should be studying for examinations for but w/e) so that I can work at that. Because ******** moving without a job.

Rotsab M. Hyolf
Yeah, exactly.

I'm sure your fans appreciated that. xD
We got one confused question and one mad gleeful cackle, so all in all I think it was a success.

Rotsab M. Hyolf
Oh, that sounds really cool! I'm sure schools would love it for the ties between author and (I assume?) character, then.

Yeah, it does suck that happened. They got her to change the title from, 'The Poor People's Prayer,' to a title I liked more, so I at least agreed with them on that. Apparently they were very nice and approachable, too.
I'd love if something I wrote ended up in schools. Students would be all 'why the ******** am I analyzing it' and the teachers would be all 'yeah, there are totally meanings other than obvious phallic references in here' and the observant kids would be like 'no, no there aren't.'

. . . that reminds me that I need to go email my creative non-fiction editor. Not going to be sad to give up that part of it.

Rotsab M. Hyolf

Wow, sounds very cool. You do your homework! I love the diversity.

Also; Pride and Prejudice: The Space Opera needs to happen. If they can make a zombie version, there is no reason there shouldn't be a space opera one. xD
I am a total research nerd. For my high school graduation I got the history of underwear, and it was one of my favorite books ever. I'm really, really tempted to learn Welsh just so I can slog through the Book of Taliesin, because I have been informed that a lot of the translations are not ideal.

Pride and Prejudice in Space is one of those projects that is burning merrily away in the back of my head but not demanding to be written yet, but I just know it will be. But I never finish anything, just add more projects. So I'm doomed. Doomed forever. So doomed.

*goes back to studying*

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
I think I got a little bit carried away with my loathing critique (hate-rant) of this piece: here

Invisible Conversationalist

The Solarised Night
I think I got a little bit carried away with my loathing critique (hate-rant) of this piece: here

Haha, I read the whole thing 'cause it was funny as hell~

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Writer Selbe
The Solarised Night

It makes me feel really bad though. sweatdrop
I don't want to be mean; I want to be helpful. Like PK said though, usually being mean is being helpful.
Part of it was pent up rage that that was the 7th disappointing entry. If things keep going the way they are, it wont be a matter of chosing the entry that I like most, but rather the entry I hate least.
I have 3 prizes too emotion_facepalm Never again.

For my circus writing comp, I am not going to give critiques. I might for the winners and a few others I like, but I don't want to do it for every single one. There will be a ton more than the 15 entries I have at Top Hat's (the current comp) at Cirque Du Martini (the future comp).

Invisible Conversationalist

The Solarised Night
Writer Selbe
The Solarised Night

It makes me feel really bad though. sweatdrop
I don't want to be mean; I want to be helpful. Like PK said though, usually being mean is being helpful.
Part of it was pent up rage that that was the 7th disappointing entry. If things keep going the way they are, it wont be a matter of chosing the entry that I like most, but rather the entry I hate least.
I have 3 prizes too emotion_facepalm Never again.

For my circus writing comp, I am not going to give critiques. I might for the winners and a few others I like, but I don't want to do it for every single one. There will be a ton more than the 15 entries I have at Top Hat's at Cirque Du Martini.

Is the next one the horror one? I might enter if I think of something.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Writer Selbe

Is the next one the horror one? I might enter if I think of something.

Yes, the current (April) Top Hat's comp is Horror/ Morbid themed. I'd love it if you entered.

The plushie give away I am saving up for has a writing comp featured in it. 1st place is a Coco plushie. The prompt for that one is to write "about a carnival that isn't quite right" No more than 3500 words with 100 word flexibility (any more than 3600 and it is disqualified).

The plushie thread wont be up and running until I purchase all the plushies.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
phantomkitsune

Ugh, yes, the coloring thing is creepy.

The plan is for me to move back this fall, which is looking sort of like a thing that may actually happen if I can get a job or sort out reciprocity so that the license I'm a third of the way through getting (and should be studying for examinations for but w/e) so that I can work at that. Because ******** moving without a job.

(I cut some things out but in general, I agree with most of the suff you've said. Just trying to pare this down, haha.)

So creepy. I've gone crazy checking the labels on everything we have, haha. "THIS FOOD IS RED AND HAS A CRUNCH!" "It's a fresh red pepper, it's suppose to be like that."

phantomkitsune
We got one confused question and one mad gleeful cackle, so all in all I think it was a success.

Niiice. xD

phantomkitsune
I'd love if something I wrote ended up in schools. Students would be all 'why the ******** am I analyzing it' and the teachers would be all 'yeah, there are totally meanings other than obvious phallic references in here' and the observant kids would be like 'no, no there aren't.'

. . . that reminds me that I need to go email my creative non-fiction editor. Not going to be sad to give up that part of it.

Ahahahah, it'd pull a Shakespeare, you mean?

Oh, for the Island Writer?

phantomkitsune

I am a total research nerd. For my high school graduation I got the history of underwear, and it was one of my favorite books ever. I'm really, really tempted to learn Welsh just so I can slog through the Book of Taliesin, because I have been informed that a lot of the translations are not ideal.

Pride and Prejudice in Space is one of those projects that is burning merrily away in the back of my head but not demanding to be written yet, but I just know it will be. But I never finish anything, just add more projects. So I'm doomed. Doomed forever. So doomed.

*goes back to studying*

Oh, cool! I tend to do a bit more research than necessary, though it spirals into stuff I don't really need. Story about pirates? Research every type of dolphin! I'm close to ADD when it comes to shaking car keys ideas near me. I tend to have a surplus of random trivia, though? xD

Wow, good luck with Welsh! I know my dad used to say he had a hard time understanding it. Shame there aren't better translations, though; is it an issue of words not translating, or just people not familiar enough with Welsh trying to do it?

The Solarised Night
I think I got a little bit carried away with my loathing critique (hate-rant) of this piece ...

This is what I saw;
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

In the meanwhile, I'll be doing this;
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
xD

Dangerous Enabler

Rotsab M. Hyolf
Ahahahah, it'd pull a Shakespeare, you mean?

Oh, for the Island Writer?
Yep, for Island Writer. We apparently had a ******** over who was supposed to contact the people we were publishing in one category, which I got to hear all about last night. Bluh. I really should have stepped down last issue: I'm working full time, pursuing EMR licensing, and trying to get my damn driver's license, I don't have time for really anything else. But this issue's coming together, mostly. I only nearly burst into tears once while proofreading it yesterday (the masthead, table of contents, bios, and ads were all missing. MISSING).

But yes, pulling a Shakespeare. But with even more dicks.

Rotsab M. Hyolf
Oh, cool! I tend to do a bit more research than necessary, though it spirals into stuff I don't really need. Story about pirates? Research every type of dolphin! I'm close to ADD when it comes to shaking car keys ideas near me. I tend to have a surplus of random trivia, though? xD

Wow, good luck with Welsh! I know my dad used to say he had a hard time understanding it. Shame there aren't better translations, though; is it an issue of words not translating, or just people not familiar enough with Welsh trying to do it?
It's because research is fun! When I started up one of my current projects, I ended up researching world tree myths in various cultures and historic natural disasters and dualities in Chinese myth (surprisingly hard to find), which lead to a ridiculous amount of reading about the Mandate of Heaven and different military tactics. Random trivia is the best thing.

Thanks! Yeah, it's probably going to be one of those things that happens way down the road, because I want to learn ASL next. Most of the translation issue is that I'm reading free ones done at universities, and it's poetry, so some of it's untranslatable and some translators try to preserve some of the meter or aesthetics even when it doesn't work because, uh, different language.
Ahh, the joyous laughter escaping my lungs.

Dangerous Enabler

I passed my jurisprudence test! Only the practical left, and then I'm ******** licensed!

!!!!!!

I am so excited you have no idea. ******** passed.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
phantomkitsune
Yep, for Island Writer. We apparently had a ******** over who was supposed to contact the people we were publishing in one category, which I got to hear all about last night. Bluh. I really should have stepped down last issue: I'm working full time, pursuing EMR licensing, and trying to get my damn driver's license, I don't have time for really anything else. But this issue's coming together, mostly. I only nearly burst into tears once while proofreading it yesterday (the masthead, table of contents, bios, and ads were all missing. MISSING).

But yes, pulling a Shakespeare. But with even more dicks.

Ah, okay. Eugh, jeeze, those are the worst. Miscommunication, man. You'd think someone else could have handled it though, given all you had on your plate as it was! Typical.

That sounds crazy with the missing pieces, I would go psycho (especially after the kerfuffle with contacting people). You're nicer than I am!

As for the Shakespeare; there is nothing wrong with that. Keeps people entertained!

phantomkitsune
It's because research is fun! When I started up one of my current projects, I ended up researching world tree myths in various cultures and historic natural disasters and dualities in Chinese myth (surprisingly hard to find), which lead to a ridiculous amount of reading about the Mandate of Heaven and different military tactics. Random trivia is the best thing.

Thanks! Yeah, it's probably going to be one of those things that happens way down the road, because I want to learn ASL next. Most of the translation issue is that I'm reading free ones done at universities, and it's poetry, so some of it's untranslatable and some translators try to preserve some of the meter or aesthetics even when it doesn't work because, uh, different language.

Oh, wow. That sounds really interesting! See, I always disliked school for how rigid the knowledge base was. It didn't really expand or give way to a lot of interesting things, I found.

Just recently I learned that ants will carry their injured/dead back to the nest, to either help or bury in a faux-cemetery. It makes me feel more warm towards them, because usually I'm busy being terrified of their creepy-evil antics. xD

Oh wow, ASL would be very cool! I think I saw you mention in another thread you know quite a few languages? I'm very jealous! I've tried, but I just don't have the brain for it. That's too bad about the translations; maybe the local library would have one by a more reputable translator?

Also; congrats on passing! -Pops open the champagne!-

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
phantomkitsune
I passed my jurisprudence test! Only the practical left, and then I'm ******** licensed!

!!!!!!

I am so excited you have no idea. ******** passed.

sweet! A celebration will be in order!

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Wing McCallister
Ahh, the joyous laughter escaping my lungs.

The time you posted this and the time you posted in Top Hats were only a minute apart.
Am I wrong to assume they are connected?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff