PROMPT ROUND 0.17021276595745 17.0% [ 16 ]
Woot panda! 0.29787234042553 29.8% [ 28 ]
Total Votes:[ 94 ]

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
phantomkitsune
Wow, housemate is kind of douchey. Do you have access to a library with internet?

As long as I prove that I know what I'm doing, they don't give a damn. This is about proving competency, so above and beyond should be acceptable.

XD I love that I've been here long enough that lukewarm praise is actually understood as meant.

Being a pirate is something I see a person I follow on tumblr using sort of synonymously with ignoring society when they are counter to one's own good and stepping back and going '******** this' to irrational subclauses in the social contract. By that metric, I am already a pirate.

Yes, he is. I can go to the campus and use the internet there. It is wireless so I don't need to use a public computer and feel guilty for taking too much time. I can also use my mobile phone's internet to connect to a site if it is just to surpass the firewall for a site. It doesn't change the fact that it is irritating.

Alright, as long as the markers aren't going to go "Well that isn't really relevant *red marker through it*"

Lukewarm is probably about as amorous as you get though, so Rotsy should feel privileged. razz

That was quite a mouthful eek

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Solarised Night

2. Awww, thanks. I just wanted an excuse to whine. xD I appreciate feeling heard! (Read? )
3. Hah, exactly!
4. Ah, okay. Yeah, that sounds terrible. I'm sorry to hear that. That sounds worse to me; sort of fair-weather friends. At least my family members are honest about their (lack of) respect.

Though, I thought Australians toss around c*nt the way the British use 'mate'? xD

5. At least it isn't a 'bank off success' type of situation, though. You sound like Matilda! </3 Plus, my parents are extremely supportive, which helps.

6. Ah, okay. Haha, fair enough then!

7. I intend to. emotion_awesome

2. Whining is good sometimes XD
4. Nah, it isn't bad because I just ignore them. You are probably exposed to your family more. I wish you wouldn't undermine yourself so much though. It seems a shame to see such a nice guy think he isn't intelligent when he is clearly capible of holding engaging conversations and writing creative pieces. I wouldn't be so hard on yourself/ let them get to you. Don't try and deny that you don't, either.
5.1 yeah, a 'bank off success' situation is the worst. I had a friend in high school that used to beat herself up because she was comparing herself to her brother who got Dux of the school and had photographic memory. It stressed her out so much.
5.2 I wish I had Matilda's magic. That looked fun. I actually did feel kind of like her growing up. I was the only kid I knew that was cooking their own meals before they were 5. Meals consisted of toast, instant noodles, bacon, eggs, rice, pasta, and cereal but hell I know 13 year olds that can't even do that. rofl
5.3 supportive parents are always a good thing even if they are a pain. Wing was telling me that his dad was a little too proud of him

6. I forget what 6 was. Oh yeah, it was riling you up but I failed. Nevermind, it got your attention anyway.

7. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Good luck! I actually have lots of assessments and exams coming up over these next 6 weeks so I might only get entries in for a few rounds. I'm not in it to win it this year. That requires a lot more planning than I have done.

8. It is 1am; why the hell am I still awake. I spent 7hrs today writing up a report and reading notes. Once I got that done I just came on here to check a few things and got distracted by comedy sites.

4. Awww, thanks. redface I never finished highschool, so there genuinely is a matter of my peers being more intelligent than me. I'm a fast learner at least, though.

5.1. Aww, that's a shame! I don't compete much with my siblings, thankfully. They're a lot younger than me.

5.2. </3 That's ridiculous. I feel so bad for you. Considering how well-adjusted you are, too, is crazy.

I never really liked Matilda. I didn't like how mean the parents were, and that cake scene haunts me to this day. xD

5.3. Awww, no such thing!

7. Thanks, you too! Jeeze, you really are swamped, huh? Doesn't seem fair!
I don't actually expect to win either, but I very much look forward to prompts and speedy competition all the same. I seemed to go from five writing contests due in a month to only one (due in a week o.o). It's like a Gaia NaNoWriMo! emotion_awesome /says this just to rile up Wing

8. Ahahahah, that is always the way. I would love a scientist to figure out how so many people always gravitate towards cat stuff when they're on for a while.

Wing McCallister
SHMEY!

I've just had an apostrophe.

Dancing Anders

-Dances with him-
I was doing a pure evil run. DON'T EVEN CARE. Anders is the sweetest.

phantomkitsune
Bluh, I don't wanna do a CPR research paper. Should really do it in the next three days, though. Blargh. And 2-4 pages, so I know they don't want much, but I still want to cram it full of unnecessary facts just because I really enjoy annoying authority figures.

Also, yes, Rotsab, you shouldn't be so down on yourself. There's a ridiculous cultural emphasis on humility that often gets taken too far in that we're not allowed to think good things about ourselves, but ******** that s**t. Seriously. Ignore society and be a pirate: you are a decent writer and seem reasonably intelligent.

Ouch, a CPR research paper? That seems a little extreme. "I realize you'[re choking, Mr. Johnson, but it's vital the crowd know that CPR was invented..." I guess as a paramedic you need to know a lot more, though, scenario wise?

Aww, thanks! I do think highly of myself in some aspects, but I'm willing to admit I'm not very smart. I wouldn't say I'm stupid, maybe closer to street-smart? I know where to go to find out what I need to know, usually.

I am so crazyily in line with that definition of a pirate that I would like to think I am one, too. xD

Though, stepping back too far can be an issue with social interactions. I have so many gaps when it comes to the appropriate response. :/ (Though I'm not a psychopath, because I don't step on spiders. )

There definitely is a focus on humility/negativism though. I would even claim it goes further back than that, all the way to the bible which declared murder, adultery, rape, thievery, and so forth are not as bad as being arrogant. It's reflexive of a culture that has predominantly been ruled by minorities, instead of true democracy.

Dangerous Enabler

Solar: They can bite me, though. It's going to be correct and probably better-written than most other things they read.

Rotsab: Being educated isn't the same as being smart. Degrees and diplomas are tools, and milestones of research done. Wing would not be the physicist he is without his degrees, but some of the more intelligent people I know don't have more than a high school education. And the most brilliant man I know dropped out of high school and worked and had five kids, then casually got back into schooling later and now has a master's degree. He is absurdly bright and looks like Santa Claus.

The research paper is because I wasn't using the right compression rates according to the Ambulance Service standard. I hold two current CPR certifications, which use different compression rates, so it's kind of 'pfft, whatever.' And yeah, doing paramedicine we have to be able to deal with way more variables: my calls were fairly simple (repeatedly seizing patient who stopped breathing, splinting, a few cardiac arrest simple scenarios, and a fairly basic traumatic head wound that needed full spinal immobilization). I sat in on one exam for the level above mine and it was, like, broken hip plus hypothermia plus dehydration. I'm hoping to get into the next level of training in no more than a couple of years. Eventually I'd like to start dealing with multiple casualty incidents as a specialty, because doing disaster response seems unutterably fascinating. Despite the, y'know, death and stress.

Anyway, yeah, humility has its place. But so does knowing ones own merits. I really like statistics for that.

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Emotions need to stop being ridiculous.

Also, my burps have had this distinct after-taste all day... but I can't figure out what the ******** it is. #randomshitthatbugsme.

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Also meant to include: ******** research papers. Research has proven to be quite the difficult, sneaky little devil lately. But I need it to write my paper =[ Google Scholar is such a cruel, seductive b***h. It will show me exactly what I want... but then not let me access the full article. EVER. [/stress]

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
So the computer crashed right when I had a massive text body to send to Rotsab. I can't be bothered writing it again so in short:

Dropping out of high school isn't necessarily a sign of lack of intelligence
my siblings are all younger too
You really need to stop feeling sorry for me; I don't. My hardships made me awesome-panda.
cake scene > I happen to have just eaten a slice of mud-cake
exams and assessments need to be done regardless of how I feel about them.
Good luck

PK: Woo, you tell 'em!

TLM: research is a pain. Google scholar is a c**k-tease. She needs to put out once in awhile. I have that same issue myself.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
phantomkitsune

Rotsab: Being educated isn't the same as being smart. Degrees and diplomas are tools, and milestones of research done. Wing would not be the physicist he is without his degrees, but some of the more intelligent people I know don't have more than a high school education. And the most brilliant man I know dropped out of high school and worked and had five kids, then casually got back into schooling later and now has a master's degree. He is absurdly bright and looks like Santa Claus.

The research paper is because I wasn't using the right compression rates according to the Ambulance Service standard. I hold two current CPR certifications, which use different compression rates, so it's kind of 'pfft, whatever.' And yeah, doing paramedicine we have to be able to deal with way more variables: my calls were fairly simple (repeatedly seizing patient who stopped breathing, splinting, a few cardiac arrest simple scenarios, and a fairly basic traumatic head wound that needed full spinal immobilization). I sat in on one exam for the level above mine and it was, like, broken hip plus hypothermia plus dehydration. I'm hoping to get into the next level of training in no more than a couple of years. Eventually I'd like to start dealing with multiple casualty incidents as a specialty, because doing disaster response seems unutterably fascinating. Despite the, y'know, death and stress.

Anyway, yeah, humility has its place. But so does knowing ones own merits. I really like statistics for that.

True. I wasn't trying to say that I'm stupid, just that I think other people have access to or know information I don't. I'm sure that Wing knows more now than before he got his degree, that the man you mentioned knows more now, and even you know more now after these paramedic courses. It's actually a pretty good thing, though; I tend to really listen to people, ask questions, so on. I like learning, and assuming everyone has something I could learn from them makes me more open/nice/so on.

I think it does, at least. xD

Ahh, okay. I heard they changed the compression rate recently, which could potentially be the issue? Used to be 2/15, now it's 2/30 because the blood wasn't fully circulating or something. They changed it with babies, too, so that it's the same and thus easier to remember. That's what the Red Cross said last summer to me, at least. They said tourniquets might be making a comeback too! xD

Oh wow. I'm sure they'd be happy to have you! I can't imagine there is ever too many people for responding to multiple casualty incidents. Would you want to go into dangerous areas, like war-zones, or more disaster-relief type places, like after an earthquake?

Yeah, very true.

The Love Mutt
Emotions need to stop being ridiculous.

Also, my burps have had this distinct after-taste all day... but I can't figure out what the ******** it is. #randomshitthatbugsme.

Also meant to include: ******** research papers. Research has proven to be quite the difficult, sneaky little devil lately. But I need it to write my paper =[ Google Scholar is such a cruel, seductive b***h. It will show me exactly what I want... but then not let me access the full article. EVER. [/stress]

Eugh, research can be a pain. I hate how easy it is to publish stuff online, because you get all of these different conflicting results. There's also the problem of not being able to look up exactly what you were after, which is also a pain.

The Solarised Night
So the computer crashed right when I had a massive text body to send to Rotsab. I can't be bothered writing it again so in short:

You really need to stop feeling sorry for me; I don't. My hardships made me awesome-panda.
Good luck

Oh jeeze, I can identify with that.

I think it is, to some extent. There's information I've never been privy to so, by default, I'm not as intelligent as someone who has finished highschool. Not in the subjects covered by school, at least. There are some things I'm really bad in; worse than my kid brother. (Is this East Canada or West Canada? Manitoba is four hour drive from Ontario, right? Etc. )

Oh, cool! Haha, I hope you boss them around in that case.

I'm glad to hear that. <3

Ewwwwww.

Too true.

Thanks! You too!

Dangerous Enabler

Rotsab M. Hyolf
Ahh, okay. I heard they changed the compression rate recently, which could potentially be the issue? Used to be 2/15, now it's 2/30 because the blood wasn't fully circulating or something. They changed it with babies, too, so that it's the same and thus easier to remember. That's what the Red Cross said last summer to me, at least. They said tourniquets might be making a comeback too! xD

Oh wow. I'm sure they'd be happy to have you! I can't imagine there is ever too many people for responding to multiple casualty incidents. Would you want to go into dangerous areas, like war-zones, or more disaster-relief type places, like after an earthquake?

Yeah, very true.
*vaguely hysterical laughter at compression rates* Red Cross is doing that, the Heart and Stroke foundation is doing something different, and BC and San Diego are also doing studies on continuous compressions or 2/450, which is looking like it actually might be more effective.

Tourniquets for civilians is still kinda iffy, because they're 45 on, 1 off, and you're supposed to note it on the patient and it has a lot that can go wrong, so it's to a lot of people's benefit to have it not be something that non-medical personnel can do because compartment syndrome ******** sucks.

Disaster-relief is the sensible choice. Which is why, when I have more training, I want go to more contested areas. It'd be fascinating.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Rotsab M. Hyolf

The Solarised Night

Good luck

Oh jeeze, I can identify with that.

I think it is, to some extent. There's information I've never been privy to so, by default, I'm not as intelligent as someone who has finished highschool. Not in the subjects covered by school, at least. There are some things I'm really bad in; worse than my kid brother. (Is this East Canada or West Canada? Manitoba is four hour drive from Ontario, right? Etc. )

Oh, cool! Haha, I hope you boss them around in that case.

I'm glad to hear that. <3

Ewwwwww.

Too true.

Thanks! You too!

Yep; it happens to us a lot! There needs to be an auto-save feature for replies that have been open for longer than 2 mins.

Well yes but dropping out of school is usually an indicator of personal problems, not of lack of intelligence. Do you plan to undertake tertiary study? I don't know what acceptance programs are like over there for school-leavers, but here we have a mature aged program that accepts people into uni once they are over 25 and have sat a basic test.

Well not boss them around. One brother is in Perth which is on the other side of the country from me, so I haven't seen him in about 3 years. He is only two years younger than me, but because he has a different mother, we only saw each other in holidays. He just started university and is doing a physics degree. The middle sibling is turning 11 this year and I had a strong influence in his upbringing. Mum was "out of it" most of the time so I often cooked for him, bathed him, helped him with homework, took him to school, and looked after him 3-5 times a week when mum would go to the pub until early hours of the morning. Having my mum tell him lies about how sissy doesn't love him any more is probably one of the most painful things that lingers. The youngest is only 3 so when I am around him, it feels more like an aunt or something. I used to get the dirtiest stares from old ladies when I pushed the stroller around. One lady actually came up to me and told me "You should be ashamed of yourself" I turned around and yelled loud enough that the whole street heard me "This is my baby brother. I am being a good sister and taking him to the park. Why don't you mind your own ******** business?"

Mudcake is delicious though. I can only eat a tiny bit because it is so rich.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
phantomkitsune

*vaguely hysterical laughter at compression rates* Red Cross is doing that, the Heart and Stroke foundation is doing something different, and BC and San Diego are also doing studies on continuous compressions or 2/450, which is looking like it actually might be more effective.

Tourniquets for civilians is still kinda iffy, because they're 45 on, 1 off, and you're supposed to note it on the patient and it has a lot that can go wrong, so it's to a lot of people's benefit to have it not be something that non-medical personnel can do because compartment syndrome ******** sucks.

Disaster-relief is the sensible choice. Which is why, when I have more training, I want go to more contested areas. It'd be fascinating.

Oh wow. I know a lot of civilian places are encouraging to even just do compressions and skip breaths altogether, because apparently a lot of people won't do it if they have to lip-lock someone else. (Understandable in the 'I might get sick/they just puked' sense, not so much a 'ewww cooties' sense. ) I wish they had some basic First Aid course in schools. Did you hear about those thirteen year olds who saved their bus driver, when he suddenly went into cardiac arrest? I don't think I know any thirteen year olds capable in CPR, much less two. xD

Yeah. They basically just told us that assume if you tourniquet, everything below it will be cut off. It's a lot better to just put direct pressure right on the wound, and tourniquet only makes sense for massive wounds/bleeding that cannot be adequately controlled (limb bitten off by a shark). Though I do wonder, if the limb was small enough, if you could still just do pressure right on the stump.

I always thought one was necessary for leg wounds because of the stupid femoral, but apparently the tourniquet has to be too tight and even then it probably won't stop it?

But yeah, definitely tourniquets are better in the hands of trained people. Most first aid is better by professionals, though, given the frequency of panicking, not knowing what to do, lack of common sense in a bad situation, so on. "Oh you were just in a car crash? Here let me pull you out and see if you can walk to make sure your spine is okay."

Incidentally, have you ever seen The Ruins? It is intentionally cringe-inducing for anyone that knows what to do in most of those situations.

Yeah, that would be very fascinating! Again, very appreciated too. I wish you luck with it!

The Solarised Night
Yep; it happens to us a lot! There needs to be an auto-save feature for replies that have been open for longer than 2 mins.

Well yes but dropping out of school is usually an indicator of personal problems, not of lack of intelligence. Do you plan to undertake tertiary study? I don't know what acceptance programs are like over there for school-leavers, but here we have a mature aged program that accepts people into uni once they are over 25 and have sat a basic test.

Well not boss them around. One brother is in Perth which is on the other side of the country from me, so I haven't seen him in about 3 years. He is only two years younger than me, but because he has a different mother, we only saw each other in holidays. He just started university and is doing a physics degree. The middle sibling is turning 11 this year and I had a strong influence in his upbringing. Mum was "out of it" most of the time so I often cooked for him, bathed him, helped him with homework, took him to school, and looked after him 3-5 times a week when mum would go to the pub until early hours of the morning. Having my mum tell him lies about how sissy doesn't love him any more is probably one of the most painful things that lingers. The youngest is only 3 so when I am around him, it feels more like an aunt or something. I used to get the dirtiest stares from old ladies when I pushed the stroller around. One lady actually came up to me and told me "You should be ashamed of yourself" I turned around and yelled loud enough that the whole street heard me "This is my baby brother. I am being a good sister and taking him to the park. Why don't you mind your own ******** business?"

Mudcake is delicious though. I can only eat a tiny bit because it is so rich.

I know that if the browser crashed, or the page was refreshed, Firefox would keep what was written? I keep trying to use that to convince my dad to let me install Firefox on here (it's his laptop) but he's so far no-go. I forgot how out-dated IE was until I started to use it again. xD

Haha, very true. For me it was a bit of that, a bit of disinterest. I tried everything from therapists to medication, and was very clearly told; "If you don't go back to school tommorow, you'll just be another statistic who drops out." I was fourteen. As a 'f*ck you' I didn't go the next day, but I did the following, and then years later dropped out as foretold.

I can't help but feel it was a self-fulfilling prophecy, though.

I would love to go back eventually, but as it stands there are few schools that would take me and none I know of that would take a highschool drop-out. There's a college who will let you take certain studies if you pass a general test to prove dropping out didn't affect your knowledge base, but it's very limited. I'm missing, school-wise, what could be gained in half a semester (five credits) for a full-fledged graduation.

I don't necessarily want to go to post-secondary right now, though. Possibly ever. I really think it's disgusting to make people pay so much money for education -- education that nine times out of ten won't get you a job, respect, so on. My father went back to school, it cost the government over $10k so he could be a certified social worker, and now he has no job because the field just isn't hiring here; not men, anyways. There was literally nothing gained from the venture. Plus, so many students switch when they get to college/university, that there's that additional money loss.

Information should be free. Most students are encouraged to look things up online, where again, they can get it for free. So what right does the government have, demanding I pay?

/rantrant

xD This is why I did not do well in school, haha.

That's horrible your mother would do that with your eleven year old brother; I hope/suspect he will remember most of what you did for him, though, and appreciate that what your mother is saying isn't true. That sounds like a big burden with your three year old brother, and on top of the eleven year old as well. I'm glad you straightened those ladies out, though; that's disgusting to act that way. I can't imagine saying that to a young woman even if it was her kid.

Mm. It's been a while since I've had cake. I had peanut-butter chocolate chip cookies today, though, and they were excellent.~

I appreciate the sentiment of 'too rich' though. xD

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
So I've found PK and TLM on facebook. Now I am going to try and work out where Wing is. Time to put my creep on. emotion_dowant

Dangerous Enabler

Wing is Wing - he's not hard to find.
Don't you already have me on facebook, Solar?

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Wing McCallister

I thought that was just your fan page. You never post anything.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Wing McCallister

Besides, it says friend request sent - not received. Sad panda. I sent that months ago.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff