Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Enabler

Kyo has it right - the prompt is only the phrase "Brush your ******** teeth and let the apocalypse happen."

Man-Hungry Conversationalist

8,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
Word Count: 760
Title: Untitled

The first thing I noticed was the silence.

It pressed on my ears, consumed my thoughts. After the sound that had roared about me only a moment before, the silence was foreign.

I took in a deep breath, hoping the sound would wake the world.

There weren’t even the normal sounds: birds, cars, even the wind was hushed.

I started at the sound of the gravel settling beneath my feet.

The road that had been full of people escaping was now rocks and wreckage. No bodies, though.

“I’m still here?”

The question sat heavy in the air, the silence refusing to answer. Nothing moved. Even the grass was still without a wind to coax it.

I dropped to my knees with my fists clenched. “Why am I alone?”

The rocks cut into my knees through my pants.

I picked one of them up, examining the fragmented asphalt between my fingers. I couldn’t tell how the road had reached this state. I stood and began walking amongst the frames that had once been cars.

Even these seemed whole, if rusted to mere skeletons. It was as if they had all been parked by their owners and abandoned where they stood and let time ravage them to its fullest.

“Why couldn’t I go with them?” I ran my hand along the closest frame, appreciating the sensation as it grabbed at my fingers.

Gravel shifted in the distance. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Footsteps!

I’m not alone! I looked around, tried to find the source of the sound. “Who’s there?”

The footfalls stopped.

I lifted my head higher, trying to see through and over the metal corpses.

Her face appeared. Her eyes brightened when our gazes met. “You know, you’re damn loud.”

I raced to embrace her, barely pulling my hand aside in time to avoid a long gash as I dodged a frame.

She hugged back. “So, how about that light show?” She seemed almost chipper in spite of what had happened.

My stomach knotted as soon as I understood what she meant. What had we done?

Her eyes narrowed as she looked at me. “It had to happen.” She shoved me to arm’s length. “You know that, right?”

I shook her arms off and marched away. What was I thinking? I collapsed against one of the cars as my vision swam before me. “What have we done?”

“Oh, don’t go all wimpy on me!” She had closed the distance and dragged me to my feet. “You did what you were told.”

My knees wouldn’t hold. I sank down as she released her grip. “We should be with them.”

“Hun, we don’t even know where they are.”

“So we murdered them all.” I grabbed her wrist, examining the marks that hadn’t been there before. Links of chain wrapped all the way around.

She smiled as I rotated both wrists and looked at my own. “We’re free,” she said as she tried to pull me up again.

Releasing her arms, I fell over. My stomach clenched again and I forgot everything I was worried about as it emptied. After a few moments, the act came back to me and I vomited again.

“It’s not that bad, we can’t be the only people left.”

I turned to find her leaning against a car. “Why?”

She shrugged. “Think about it. If we’re all that’s left, there’s no way humanity can survive.”

I nodded slowly, my mind considering the full meaning of what she said.

She pulled a bottle of water out of the pocket of the jacket she wore tied around her waist and tossed it to me. Then she revealed a toothbrush wrapped in plastic and threw it to me as well. “Brush your ******** teeth. I’m definitely not kissing you after that.”

I laughed and obeyed, thinking all the while. After rinsing my mouth I lifted a stone and held it up. “You know, in Greek mythology, after the gods flooded the world, they had the last man and woman throw stones over their shoulder to make new people. How about we do it while we find some place to stay tonight?”

She skipped to me and grabbed the stone from my hand, turning me to the city in the distance. “You got it, but me first!” She tossed it over her shoulder. “Let’s go, Adam.”

So we went, stooping now and then to toss a piece of road over our shoulders, the sound of the stones skittering behind us accompanying our footsteps in the quiet world.
I sense AGWL credits. lol

Dangerous Enabler

Your intuition would be correct, Wing. razz
Wow! I've never won a contest before. This is an honor. heart

What are AGWL credits?

Dangerous Enabler

Points in the Anything Goes Writing League towards winning the Faulkner Prism. Wing's contest has more, and is where most of the contest action will be happening, as I think I'm done for this season.
phantomkitsune
Points in the Anything Goes Writing League towards winning the Faulkner Prism. Wing's contest has more, and is where most of the contest action will be happening, as I think I'm done for this season.

What is the Faulkner Prism?

Dangerous Enabler

A glass trophy plus associated bragging rights.
phantomkitsune
A glass trophy plus associated bragging rights.

You forget that I am a nursing student. I need neither. cool

Dangerous Enabler

Lol. Everyone needs more bragging rights!

Dangerous Enabler

And we're back open, with a new prompt!

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Happy 4th! I know, I for one am excited about this. And I kinda like this prompt (more as a quote than theme, but we'll see). I'm leaning more towards prose for this though... Hmmmmmmm.

Dangerous Enabler

Thanks!

I'm glad. I'm excited, too, to get a contest going again.

I look forward to your entry. ^.^
This prompt certainly sounds interesting.

Quick question, though. On the Theory Train website, it states that they're "looking for well-written fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, superheroes, and horror" prose and poetry. It goes on to say that there is a maximum of 4500 words for prose. Will we need to abide by these restrictions or can we follow those that you outlined (1500 to 15000 words about anything as long as the prompt is somehow utilized)?

Thank you!

Dangerous Enabler

The guidelines I presented supersede the general Theory Train guidelines. Thanks for checking, though!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff