Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should there be a sticky for posting links?

Yes 0.6 60.0% [ 6 ]
No 0.1 10.0% [ 1 ]
Gold! 0.3 30.0% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 10 ]

..."post your gallery/entry link here" sticky, similar to the Fanfiction.net discussion sticky in the Fanfiction forum, where people who are just looking for votes/comments/views and not actual critique can advertise their entries? Do you think this would help cut down on the amount of spam? (not that we get many posts here anyway, but still, eventually...)

Of course, threads specifically asking for feedback/critique will still be allowed (that's what this forum is pretty much for anyway), as well as link collection threads for entries which have similar themes/topics.

Opinions? And if your opinion is yes, please suggest possible titles for the sticky which are A) catchy! and B) make it obvious what the sticky is for.
biggrin
how about a chat thread?
Why would we need one? The other arena discussion forums don't have one, and OS/P is close enough (both location-wise and purpose-wise) that people can use the Circus if they want to chat with other writers.
for the sake of the community!

studies show that internet forums dedicated to criticism and discussion see a greater level of criticism and discussion activity when the social community is fostered alongside these other elements.
you edited!

but my post still applies in full.

the Greatest Example Ever would be the fact that the circus and 111, despite being close, in no way served as a suitable substitute for the op/l's community. chat thread was torn away--forum saw a severe deadening of activity.

chat threads give writing forums life! you learn who's critiquing you, which is an important component in the process.
Let's ignore the fact that the Circus is pretty damn dead to begin with and hardly anybody uses it but the forum still manages to function just fine. If somebody decides to make one (and not as a result of reading this thread, which then excludes the both of us), maybe I'll let it stay and see if it catches on.

Anyway, that's not what I'm asking about. I'm asking about a sticky similar to the FF.net discussion thread, not a chat thread.
radioactive alchemist
..."post your gallery/entry link here" sticky, similar to the Fanfiction.net discussion sticky in the Fanfiction forum, where people who are just looking for votes/comments/views and not actual critique can advertise their entries? Do you think this would help cut down on the amount of spam? (not that we get many posts here anyway, but still, eventually...)
Bad idea.

1) Most people who post in the Writing Arenas are dipshits who can't even tell between fiction and nonfiction, let alone be bothered to read rules.

2) That thread will get spammed, thus there's really no point because users' previous solicitations will be flushed out by subsequent users, and they will thus be forced to post again. It's a vicious cycle.
They might not read the rules, but they might read the sticky title and be more inclined to post their link there instead of making a thread.

I think, though, that most people posting there will be looking for a "quick fix" and will be the people who forget they even have things in the arena, let alone that they posted a link somewhere, after a week or so. People who are serious about their work are probably not going to use the sticky except for some free advertisement for anybody browsing through; they'll make a thread to ask for critiques.
radioactive alchemist
They might not read the rules, but they might read the sticky title and be more inclined to post their link there instead of making a thread.
Actually, they'll do both. They'll solicit in other users' threads, and flood the front page with multiple threads of their own. Plus, a thread on the front page is more attention-grabbing than a post on a sticky thread; threads take longer to flush out, while single posts on a stickied thread are flushed out of recency by any subsequent posts.

Quote:
I think, though, that most people posting there will be looking for a "quick fix" and will be the people who forget they even have things in the arena, let alone that they posted a link somewhere, after a week or so. People who are serious about their work are probably not going to use the sticky except for some free advertisement for anybody browsing through; they'll make a thread to ask for critiques.
Yes, and as I said, those threads will be spammed by the less serious people, with their new entries that are bound to die faster than the spam--or get shot to the top by their friends' affirmations, possibly even people picked up from the hellhole known as the Chatterbox.

Then again, I'm probably just losing my faith in humanity.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff