Welcome to Gaia! ::

Did you like my speech?

Yes! I love it 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Yes, I like it 0.25 25.0% [ 1 ]
No, but I think it has potential 0.5 50.0% [ 2 ]
No, I hate it 0.25 25.0% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 4 ]

Hello, I'm writing a speech for my school.
And I just want to get feed backs from other people.
My speech is about the importance of life, I hope that you like it.
I would love to use your critiques to make my speech better.

This is the criteria for my speech:
Introduction
~an enthusiastic opening statement will stimulate the audience
~gives the audience a focus, a theme, a perspective
~provides direction to your talk

The Body
~tells the audience what the speaker wants them to know
~a point should be made to provide focus and direction for the talk
~provide the background information necessary to appreciate your talk
~avoid verbal clutter,
~the more vivid the imagery, the better the audience relates to the talk

The Conclusion
~short
~used to re-emphasize or summarize main points
~should leave an impression on the audience
~the speaker and the audience need to smoothly close the communication

This is my speech:
(edited)
“Life is an interesting journey; you never know where it’ll take you. Peaks and valleys, twists and turns, you could get the surprise of your life. Sometimes, on the way of where you’re going, you might think, this is the worst time of my life. But you know what, at the end of the road, through all the adversities, if you get whatever you wanted to be, you’ll remember that whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”

Good morning/afternoon fellow students and teachers. The quote I just read to you is a quote from TI. It greatly inspired me in so many different ways. Every word and every line is completely true, and I have no saying against it. Life is so unpredictable and complicated, that sometimes, we just feel like losing hope in everything we’ve ever believed in. But on the other hand, we experience the most beautiful things. So you and I should treasure everything life has to offer, because tomorrow is never guaranteed.

Before I start talking about all the different complications in life, I just want each and every one of us to be thankful to be alive. Sometime today, I encourage you to think of how lucky you really are. Many people have never gotten the chance to see and experience anything in this world. So stop wasting your time, and start living your life.

As we get older, we find ourselves in more difficult situations. You and I, and even the greatest of all people, will have to suffer some time. Everyone suffers in many different ways; it might be an argument with someone you love, dealing with cancer, or coping with a person’s death. Whatever your dilemma is, we all suffer the same way. Our days will seem to envelope in darkness, and our nights will be sleepless. Our eyes will burn with redness, and our hearts will ache with sadness. All our faith, happiness, and confidence will start to fade, and everything will seem hopeless. Unfortunately, life can change directions even if we didn’t plan it. All we can do is make the best of it and move on. But at times, when the going gets really tough, we feel like death is the only option. But death should never be the option. There is so much in life that we have yet to experience. Hundreds of people and places are waiting for our arrival to make us happy and fulfilled. So don’t give up on life so easily. It may take a week or a year for us to heal, but that’s when we’ll start to realize that we can overcome any obstacle in life. But sometimes, if we have been hurting for a long time, we get impatient. We would pray night and day, hoping our prayers get answered. But if we’ve prayed for a long time, and our prayers are still not answered, we lose faith in God and blame Him for all our sufferings. But no matter how much pain we’re in, we should never lose our faith in God. If our hearts are filled with faith, then we don’t have to fear. God will never put us in a situation that we can’t handle. The hardships we face today only show how much God cares for us. If we have experienced the worst in life, we will only become stronger in the future. So remember, God will put us through hell just to get us to heaven.

As a human being, we not only face hardships, we also make mistakes. Nobody’s perfect, and we make mistakes all the time. Making mistakes plays a huge role in our lives. Whether our mistakes are small or big, every mistake has a consequence. Our mistake can be as small as forgetting our homework at home and the result is handing the assignment late. Or, our mistake can be as big as something that can lead us to jail or to prison. Whether our mistakes are small or big, remember to treat them all the same; mistakes are another way of learning a lesson. The most important lesson we can learn from our mistake is how we can use it to never make that same mistake again.

But life isn’t all about complications and hardships. Life is also about having fun. We only have one life to live, so why not live it to the fullest? Become whatever you want to become, and don’t let anyone take you down. Cherish all the goodness of the Earth, and be optimistic. Life is so short, and there’s no time to waste. Go out there and show the world who you really are! Or just look at yourself in the mirror and smile. Set aside all your worries, and take the time to shine. No one in this world can ever defeat you. If you just believe in yourself, you will overcome things that you never imagined. As I conclude my speech, I want you to think of how grateful you should be. Things in life will never turn out the way you planned. Just keep moving forward and keep your head up high. Like Rihanna always says in her song Live Your Life, we just have to keep on climbing, looking in the mirror, and keep on shining. Till the game end, till the clock stop, were gonna post up on the top spot, living the life!

Thank You.

If you have any problem with my speech, please let me know.
All critiques are welcome.
Thank you for all your time!
And by the way, I'll gladly rate your story if you rate mine, thanks! ^.^

or visit my page, and comment/rate there:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/arena/writing/non-fiction/vote/?entry_id=101144227#title
hey,
i think your speech has potential, but it's not AMAZING. i have to say, a lot of it is pretty cliche. and this makes me feel like it's not really from the heart. but i could see that if you put a lot of emotion into it when you say it, it could make up for the lack of feeling in the writing. there are also a few errors i'll point out -
1. i'd take out the majority of this:
Thousands of babies have been aborted, miscarried or died during birth. Fortunately, you made it through birth and you’re still living today. But seriously, it could have been you who have been aborted, miscarried, or died during birth.
as a rule of thumb, i wouldn't really talk about abortions or miscarriages, or anything of that sort. not only is it depressing but people can be offended by it. for instance, a lot of people think some children would be better off if they weren't born, than if they were born (into poverty or hunger, or something along those lines).
2. "our hearts will ache with anger."
i'd change the word anger to sadness or pain, because people don't really associate anger with aching...
3. i'd also take out ALL of this.
We would pray night and day, hoping our prayers get answered. But if we’ve prayed for a long time, and our prayers are still not answered, we lose faith in God and blame Him for all our sufferings. But no matter how much pain we’re in, we should never lose our faith in God. If our hearts are filled with faith for the Lord, then we don’t have to worry. God will never put us in a situation that we can’t handle. The hardships we face today only show how much God cares for us. If we have experienced the worst in life, we will only become stronger in the future. So remember, God will put us through hell just to get us to heaven.
i don't know what kind of school you go to, and maybe if it's a catholic school it would be more appropriate, but regardless, it sounds A LOT like preaching religion onto people. which is not good, and also can make people immediately want to stop listening.
4. at the end, when you quote that pop song, maybe to make more of an impact, i'd quote either a different (famous) speech, or a book or something. quoting literature in general is a lot more sophisticated than music (depending on which book/song you quote of course).

okay, sorry if i kind of responded in an essay, haha. i hope this kind of critique is what you're looking for.

it's not an amazing speech in my opinion, and it could be improved, but overall i think it definitely has potential. good luck!
tiakat333
hey,
i think your speech has potential, but it's not AMAZING. i have to say, a lot of it is pretty cliche. and this makes me feel like it's not really from the heart. but i could see that if you put a lot of emotion into it when you say it, it could make up for the lack of feeling in the writing. there are also a few errors i'll point out -
1. i'd take out the majority of this:
Thousands of babies have been aborted, miscarried or died during birth. Fortunately, you made it through birth and you’re still living today. But seriously, it could have been you who have been aborted, miscarried, or died during birth.
as a rule of thumb, i wouldn't really talk about abortions or miscarriages, or anything of that sort. not only is it depressing but people can be offended by it. for instance, a lot of people think some children would be better off if they weren't born, than if they were born (into poverty or hunger, or something along those lines).
2. "our hearts will ache with anger."
i'd change the word anger to sadness or pain, because people don't really associate anger with aching...
3. i'd also take out ALL of this.
We would pray night and day, hoping our prayers get answered. But if we’ve prayed for a long time, and our prayers are still not answered, we lose faith in God and blame Him for all our sufferings. But no matter how much pain we’re in, we should never lose our faith in God. If our hearts are filled with faith for the Lord, then we don’t have to worry. God will never put us in a situation that we can’t handle. The hardships we face today only show how much God cares for us. If we have experienced the worst in life, we will only become stronger in the future. So remember, God will put us through hell just to get us to heaven.
i don't know what kind of school you go to, and maybe if it's a catholic school it would be more appropriate, but regardless, it sounds A LOT like preaching religion onto people. which is not good, and also can make people immediately want to stop listening.
4. at the end, when you quote that pop song, maybe to make more of an impact, i'd quote either a different (famous) speech, or a book or something. quoting literature in general is a lot more sophisticated than music (depending on which book/song you quote of course).

okay, sorry if i kind of responded in an essay, haha. i hope this kind of critique is what you're looking for.

it's not an amazing speech in my opinion, and it could be improved, but overall i think it definitely has potential. good luck!

Thank you so much!
That's definitely the kind of critique I was looking for.
And yes, I do go to a catholic school, so I'm still not quite sure if I should take that whole paragraph out. But I'll make it shorter.
And you are right, my speech doesn't really come from the heart
and that's something I really need to work on.
Again, thank you!
riaishott
The speech was wonderful. BUT I think you copied from TDI . The last part SO LIVE YOUR LIFE... So unpleasent . i give it 9 out ten just for that part...

TDI?
I seriously have no idea what you're talking about.
I mentioned in the speech that "Rihanna always says in her song..."
That's where I got the "So just live your life" from.
But thank you for the compliment.
Do you think I could have done something better though?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff