Welcome to Gaia! ::

OG Fatcat

8,750 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Gender Swap 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
I've never really looked at the writing arena until today.
Please, please, please, before you submit an entry, make sure you know the definition of "fiction" and "non-fiction."

There are FAR too many fictional tales in the arena right now under the non-fiction category.
It doesn't matter whether the characters are real or not.
If it's a "made up" story, it's fiction.

9,600 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
Yes, that's a huge and distracting problem.

I'm hoping when the new arenas go live, entries will be moderated. Or at least, policed.

I have reported some and left comments too but that doesn't seem to have helped. crying

Do you know if there are any guides in the main Writers Forum on what constitutes non-fiction? If there are, I'd be happy to put the link in my thread here, and give it to people who can't tell the difference in the arena. If not, I'd be even happier to write one and provide samples.

I'm just not sure where one would or should be. I just started going to the main WF and it's a really biiiiiiig place! eek
There isn't a guide for non-fiction there. Sadly you'd think people would understand the basics of non-fiction in general. It's not a hard concept to get.

And the WF isn't that large. Most of it isn't worth looking at in the first place.
I think most people assume that if you're on the WF, you already know the difference between fiction and non-fiction.

Maybe they'll mod the arena, but I doubt it.

4,800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Jahoclave

And the WF isn't that large. Most of it isn't worth looking at in the first place.
The truth in this statement is saddening.

@ OP:

Make a thread there about it?
The problem with modding the arena is that I'm not entirely sure where the reports from the writing arena are going. gonk Because it's new it doesn't have its own report queue yet; I think they might be getting dumped with the art arena's reports, which are backed up. In the meantime, and until I figure out where the reports are going, please report miscategorized entries anyway and they'll be gotten to eventually.

I'm working on getting a rules announcement written up for this forum, and I'd love to have everybody's help here with figuring out what kind of things should be included in it.

4,800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
radioactive alchemist
The problem with modding the arena is that I'm not entirely sure where the reports from the writing arena are going. gonk Because it's new it doesn't have its own report queue yet; I think they might be getting dumped with the art arena's reports, which are backed up. In the meantime, and until I figure out where the reports are going, please report miscategorized entries anyway and they'll be gotten to eventually.

I'm working on getting a rules announcement written up for this forum, and I'd love to have everybody's help here with figuring out what kind of things should be included in it.

The only thing I can think of is to keep all entries to the same thread, rather than making fifty new ones.

Have you designated yourself mod for this subforum, or is it just under whichever GCD mods handle the reports?
Yup, I've assigned myself to this forum.

So you think an official sticky for pimping entry links would be a good idea, like how the Fanfiction forum has the FF.net sticky for posting account links? I like that idea. >.> The rules are that "please check out/vote for/comment on my entry" threads aren't allowed (which would be what the sticky catches), but threads asking specifically for feedback/critique on an entry are fine.

Or are you talking about something else entirely.
radioactive alchemist
Yup, I've assigned myself to this forum.

You have my sympathies.

Included in the sticky should be an explanation of the difference between "fiction" and "non-fiction" that is very, very detailed. Anyone that submits fiction in the place of non-fiction should probably have to take a test before they submit any more entries but that probably can't be done.
It's my first day in the writing arena too and you're right. Guess what else? It seems that no one comments anymore! All they do is read a sentence or two and close their eyes and press a random star. Everyone is in the art arena, I DEMAND SUPPORT FOR THE WRITING COMMUNITY ON GAIA!!!

Friendly Elder

5,550 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
psych_G_1996
It's my first day in the writing arena too and you're right. Guess what else? It seems that no one comments anymore! All they do is read a sentence or two and close their eyes and press a random star. Everyone is in the art arena, I DEMAND SUPPORT FOR THE WRITING COMMUNITY ON GAIA!!!

Pretty much. Some dirtbag gave me one star on my poem and didn't explain why, which really ticked me off. If I hate a thing enough to vote that low, I generally have the courtesy to say why.
Unless it's stolen. Then I just report it.

But people only get comments on fanfic, it seems. If it's original fiction, people don't seen to care.

Speaking of fanfic, O Great Moderator, what are the rules concerning that and the writing arena specifically? Since the story isn't entirely their own work and their own characters, will that be disallowed, or will it have its own separate category? Because I, for one, don't want to read any fanfics. Original fiction, yes. Fanfics... no.
Bacillus Anthracis
psych_G_1996

Pretty much. Some dirtbag gave me one star on my poem and didn't explain why, which really ticked me off. If I hate a thing enough to vote that low, I generally have the courtesy to say why.
Unless it's stolen. Then I just report it.

But people only get comments on fanfic, it seems. If it's original fiction, people don't seen to care.

Speaking of fanfic, O Great Moderator, what are the rules concerning that and the writing arena specifically? Since the story isn't entirely their own work and their own characters, will that be disallowed, or will it have its own separate category? Because I, for one, don't want to read any fanfics. Original fiction, yes. Fanfics... no.

thank you! Fanfics are so cheesy. A real writer should be able to get enough inspiration to create a story that was entirely their own work. If you just keep making fanfics there is no way you'll end up being the next J.K. Rowling, even though I'm not too fond of Harry Potter. Do you think J.K. made fanfics? If you're a beginner then it's okay for practice, but at least have the courtesy to understand what the hell you're writing! Does grammar and spelling mean nothing to people?
Fan Fictions are works that are derived from other, more famous works. They aren't brilliant, daring, or even intelligible. I am the writer of the Garde of Avant, a story in the writing arena. i am beyond frustrated because I have recieved 13 votes, but alas, only three comments. And those three were from friends of mine. My grammer in my story is botchy only because I didn't use a word processor and I was excited for others to see my work. I just wish people would tell me what to fix, rather than just running away and posting a random star... The only reason people like fanfics is due to the fact that it is something that they can connect with right away. But, do any of you see a FanFic that has been published? I know I certainly haven't, and it is because none of them are original. I just would like to see more people understand the true works of art. That is the original stories, not some cockamine bullshit that someone took from some other persons ideas and spin it a little. It is just not brave, not daring, and certainly not great.

Toxic Nymph

17,050 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Generous 100
I'm having similar problems when I post my poetry and the likes. I almost don't want to post them seeing as I've put a lot of time and effort into writing, and I don't want some douchebag just to vote me down without even putting at least some sort of effort into reading a couple of words. I think I have a bigger problem getting people to read/comment/vote fairly on my poetry because I absolutely DESPISE rhyme schemes, and it seems most people think that a poem is only a poem if it rhymes. stare

And I agree. They do need a separate section for fanfiction.

Dapper Dabbler

You know, in defense of fanfiction, I've seen quite a number of "original" stories that are a load of crap. Published, even (that entire Twilight Saga travesty, for example rolleyes ). They're fanfiction with original characters, and not even very good ones. And the authors can't spell or use proper grammar any better than you say fanfiction writers can. But somehow, some of them actually managed to get published.

How does THAT work, I wonder?

While I agree that 99% of fanfiction writers can't write worth s**t (although that's saying the same thing about certain original writers, as well), there ARE exceptions. I've read some brilliant online stories from both fanfiction AND original writers that definitely deserve praise. Just because it's fanfiction doesn't mean it isn't a great story. Just because it's an original novel doesn't mean it IS a great story. It swings both ways.

FYI, I've spent the past nine years of my life writing fanfiction, as a side to writing my original novels, and I'm a damned good writer, thanks. I find it offensive that some people might consider me a poor writer just because I enjoy writing fanfiction. I'm perfectly capable of coming up with my own plots, my own stories, and making them enjoyable. And my spelling and grammar are perfectly okay. I daresay I'm a better writer than a lot of the other "original" writers I've seen on this site.

To say "fanfiction writers can't write and need to use other people's stories as a crutch", which is what you seem to be insinuating, is complete bullshit. It's just as hard to write fanfiction as it is original stories, because there are already boundaries established and set that the writer needs to follow, whereas in original works the writer has room to develop their own settings and characters. The goal of fanfiction is to make the story like an extension of the series, something that might have actually happened in it. The characters must be kept in character, the settings must be accurate, ect... and trust me, if a writer misses the mark, they hear about it from the fans.

As for why I started writing fanfiction? Publishing is time-consuming and expensive. Sending manuscripts to publishers, waiting up to 2 years for a reply, waiting up to another 2 years in the case of acceptance for it to be published, or sending the manuscript off again in the case of rejection and beginning the cycle all over again ... Who has the patience to put up with that?

I want people to read my stories. Publishing them online is a cheap and effective way for that to happen. Instant gratification. But 99% of the time, readers will choose a fanfiction over an original story, no matter how poorly written it might be. So, if that's what will get my work read, then that's what I'll write.

Oh. Yeah. You want fanfiction that's been published? Let's see ... Star Trek (the original fanfiction series), Star Wars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, X-men and other various superhero novels, and a series of Oz stories based on the Wizard of Oz (from a company that publishes nothing BUT Oz stories). There is also a book of short stories published that's based on one of the series by Mercedes Lackey. Those are all off the top of my head, but I know there are others I'm missing. Seriously, have you even browsed a bookstore lately?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff