Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Sir Icehawk
Ah that Supreme Reaper is amusing too, but I enjoy playing with the bag of bones. It's a nice contrast to the afterlives.

Both the Discworld and Supernatural characters break the mold of the "Grim Reaper" character. That's the key. Taking something and making it your own.

Random idea: Even Death needs an apprentice. wink Run with it someone.

xD

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Sir Icehawk

Wasn't that in the Discworld book Mort?
I_Write_Ivre
Sir Icehawk

Wasn't that in the Discworld book Mort?

No clue. I've only read The Colour of Magic. Been meaning to pick up Going Postal and the ones dealing with Death.

Friendly Heckler

I have a world that doesn't have any personification of death. People's spirits either moved on or didn't, and restless ghosts were really common. On this side, they built up and annoyed the crap out of the spiritually sensitive living. The afterlife was a total chaotic mess, new arrivals wandering in at random, and eventually everyone there got fed up and tried to figure some kind of system. It wound up with a makeshift agency of "reapers" whose jobs are to gather the souls of the freshly dead and take them to the other side (and make them for an orderly line, damn it!). There are all sorts of people (living, dead, other) working as reapers, with varying levels of professionalism. It's a punch-clock job with all sorts of bureaucracy and red tape involved. It is actually pretty easy to become a reaper, but it's not a very glamorous job. In exchange, reapers get a basic power set required for their jobs. Everyone alive who can see them just let them do their thing, but no one knows too much about how the reapers work.

Can I second the general love for Discworld's Death (and his DISTINCTIVE SPEECH PATTERN) around here?
One of my renditions of Death is one gigantic Reaper made of billions of smaller Reapers (one for potentially every living thing), all of which look alike but may have slightly different personalities shaped by the whens, wheres and whos of their stations. Sort of a "We are legion" kind of thing going on. But the main body himself is an immovable, mostly lifeless thing (somewhere in invisible space?), a bit like a machine that processes the reaped souls back into useful cosmic energy or simple fodder to be consumed and discarded.

They're black skinned, white haired, horned, naked. But some of them will entertain that whole scythe and cloak thing.

I'm still working on it, but that's my setup so far.
I think the beauty of it is that everyone has there own definition of "death" I have to say that your story sounds amazing

Fanatical Lunatic

9,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
It seems no matter what I write my love for Reapers will always shine through. I guess discworld's Death is to blame. lol

I always try to add a human touch to my Reapers. I currantly have a reaper whoes not quite the bony person we all know but rather heading down that route after working for the job for a few centuries. He adopted a young boy to carry on after him who inturn adopted a 15 year old girl so Death sort of looks at the pair as his son and daughter.

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Wow, all of these ideas and plots just sound awesome :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items