Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
One of my ever-simmering story ideas involves a teenaged girl basically tagging along with Death for a year as a job shadow. It's a slightly dark comedy deal if that wasn't obvious, with much sarcasm and drama injected into it.

My question is, what are your ideas on the whole 'grim reaper/death/angel of death' deal in literature? I'm curious. Have you ever written a story involving a character like this?

My story involves separate characters that represent death, the reaper, and Satan as different individuals, so it's a little more flexible, but I'd like to see other variants.
I have written stories involving a "Grim Reaper" character. It's one character. I put my own spin on the whole afterlife thing which has carried over to a few stories.

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Sir Icehawk
I have written stories involving a "Grim Reaper" character. It's one character. I put my own spin on the whole afterlife thing which has carried over to a few stories.

That sounds interesting. It's nice when you can pull something from one plot and bring to tie in with another.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Grim reaper: death form Discworld.

Angel of death: Azael, but the neutral version, not the evil version.
I_Write_Ivre
Grim reaper: death form Discworld.

That's sorta like mine. Discworld D is just brilliant. Hogfather is my favorite movie to watch around Christmas time.

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Hogfather? xDDD

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
American_Flyleaf_Girl
Hogfather? xDDD

The discworld series was the most popular series in the UK until Harry Potter bumped it down to number 2.

Hogfather is a great movie, if you want to check that out.

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
I_Write_Ivre
American_Flyleaf_Girl
Hogfather? xDDD

The discworld series was the most popular series in the UK until Harry Potter bumped it down to number 2.

Hogfather is a great movie, if you want to check that out.

que interesting surprised

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I usually have agents that work for (several beings known as) Death, collecting souls. Agents are chosen though an ultimatum, whereby if they discover certain truths, the location of Death, or interact with Death, they are offered to either become an agent and age at a much slower rate or be permanently destroyed. Rebirth and reincarnation play large parts in this 'life wheel.'

The agents and Death(s) vary in temprament. Some are very antisocial, others are completely mad. One of the agents I use revels in collecting souls and killing the occasional stubborn human; the Death he answers to is pretty blase and mellow. In another story, a different Death presses the destruct button and detonates the entire planet.

I'm not big on the Grim Reaper/Death being portrayed as a skeleton in a cloak*. It feels old-fashioned, and plays into the stereotype that death is something that should inspire absolute terror; it undercuts a lot of the more interesting ideas you can play with. I respected Supernatural's choice to make them pleasant looking and personable, so as to be more convincing that you should go with them. It made a lot of sense in that context.

*I want to note that a Grim Reaper who is portrayed as a blue skeleton in a cloak is absolutely fine by me. Especially if said skeleton has tattered wings and a writhing blade.

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Rotsab M. Hyolf
I usually have agents that work for (several beings known as) Death, collecting souls. Agents are chosen though an ultimatum, whereby if they discover certain truths, the location of Death, or interact with Death, they are offered to either become an agent and age at a much slower rate or be permanently destroyed. Rebirth and reincarnation play large parts in this 'life wheel.'

The agents and Death(s) vary in temprament. Some are very antisocial, others are completely mad. One of the agents I use revels in collecting souls and killing the occasional stubborn human; the Death he answers to is pretty blase and mellow. In another story, a different Death presses the destruct button and detonates the entire planet.

I'm not big on the Grim Reaper/Death being portrayed as a skeleton in a cloak*. It feels old-fashioned, and plays into the stereotype that death is something that should inspire absolute terror; it undercuts a lot of the more interesting ideas you can play with. I respected Supernatural's choice to make them pleasant looking and personable, so as to be more convincing that you should go with them. It made a lot of sense in that context.

*I want to note that a Grim Reaper who is portrayed as a blue skeleton in a cloak is absolutely fine by me. Especially if said skeleton has tattered wings and a writhing blade.

Wow. That's a pretty cool layout.I like the supernatural death as well, though I havent' watched enough of the show to really get into that part.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
American_Flyleaf_Girl

Wow. That's a pretty cool layout.I like the supernatural death as well, though I haven't watched enough of the show to really get into that part.

Haha, thanks. It's something I've probably spent more time thinking on than I should have, given how little of it I've written about.

I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of Supernatural, but that was definitely something I liked.

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Rotsab M. Hyolf
American_Flyleaf_Girl

Wow. That's a pretty cool layout.I like the supernatural death as well, though I haven't watched enough of the show to really get into that part.

Haha, thanks. It's something I've probably spent more time thinking on than I should have, given how little of it I've written about.

I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of Supernatural, but that was definitely something I liked.

Biggest thing I've thought about for my 'Job-Shadowing Death' what-have-you is 'how the hey do you end up following around the collector of the dead?'

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
American_Flyleaf_Girl

Biggest thing I've thought about for my 'Job-Shadowing Death' what-have-you is 'how the hey do you end up following around the collector of the dead?'

Haha, sounds like a pretty good question to try and know the answer of, given the plot of your piece!
Ah that Supreme Reaper is amusing too, but I enjoy playing with the bag of bones. It's a nice contrast to the afterlives.

Both the Discworld and Supernatural characters break the mold of the "Grim Reaper" character. That's the key. Taking something and making it your own.

Random idea: Even Death needs an apprentice. wink Run with it someone.

9,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Rotsab M. Hyolf
American_Flyleaf_Girl

Haha, sounds like a pretty good question to try and know the answer of, given the plot of your piece!

I can't very well just THROW them in there. Well, i could, but I'd be burned at the stake. xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff