Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am writing a book right now, it is an action book. If some one tells you it will never get published, and they are wrong. 4laugh heart

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Unless they're right.

Tipsy Conversationalist

Actually, they are probably right. Most writers don't get published on their first book (or second or third). Some never get published at all. Its also good to be prepared for let down as well as for the good news that you could potentially hear. Most writers try not to think about it, but it is greatly possible that you may not get published.

Good luck to you though.

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Even if you're a good writer, you still have to be able to interact with others. There are lots of problems on the net of people being unable to handle honest posts, let alone critiques; writing in gibberish, refusing to think for themselves, and 'making agents/publishers work for it'. You also have to be able to buckle down and actually write and edit the damn thing.
I have currently finished my first book and I am in process of submitting it to agents in the hopes of getting it published. I received my first rejection nearly four days later. It is quite possible that it will never get past this stage, but that's not the point.

The point is that I wrote a book that I enjoyed writing and want others to read. If it does get published that's great but if not at least I have done something. So many people give up before they even try and that is where the main problem lies.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Maeve Faylenn
Actually, they are probably right. Most writers don't get published on their first book (or second or third). Some never get published at all. Its also good to be prepared for let down as well as for the good news that you could potentially hear. Most writers try not to think about it, but it is greatly possible that you may not get published.

Good luck to you though.

Pretty much this, publishing is a long, hard process and it's a real b***h. First you need to find an agent who thinks your book has potential. Agents don't get paid until your book gets published, so they're not going to put time into helping you unless they think there's a very good chance of your book getting published. Then you and your agent need to get to a publisher. Like the agent, the publishing agency puts a LOT into publishing and selling a book so they won't do it unless they think your book will sell. And agencies get a LOT of books sent to them so there's a ton of competition. Not everyone can get published, just like not everyone can be a movie star or a hit pop singer.

DarknessofHeavenandDreams
Even if you're a good writer, you still have to be able to interact with others. There are lots of problems on the net of people being unable to handle honest posts, let alone critiques; writing in gibberish, refusing to think for themselves, and 'making agents/publishers work for it'. You also have to be able to buckle down and actually write and edit the damn thing.

Also this. As I stated, writing is a competitive business. If you want to publish, you have to do a lot of work and you also need to be able to take critique, and be willing to make compromises sometimes. You can't just crap out some story you're making up as you go along and expect the publishing companies to fight over it. Even after you've got it written, there's still the matter of editing, finding an agent, sending it to publishers... You have to be very dedicated as well as realistic.

Shirtless Wench

Oh, idealistic optimism. I love to see you crushed by cynicism and practicality.

If only realism was taught to children, rather than the gaudy monstrosity of blind and [********] optimism.

On another note:
If what?! If someone tells me that and they're wrong - THEN WHAT?!
The suspense is goddamn killing me.

Conservative Friend

4,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
About three years ago, I finished my first book and I had my 12th grade English teacher edit it after my self edit. She said it's very well written, edge-of-the-seat page turner, and very interesting. And I'm working on getting it published as I'm taking English college courses.

Conservative Friend

4,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
marshmallowcreampie
Maeve Faylenn

Good luck to you though.

Pretty much this, publishing is a long, hard process and it's a real b***h. First you need to find an agent who thinks your book has potential. Agents don't get paid until your book gets published, so they're not going to put time into helping you unless they think there's a very good chance of your book getting published. Then you and your agent need to get to a publisher. Like the agent, the publishing agency puts a LOT into publishing and selling a book so they won't do it unless they think your book will sell. And agencies get a LOT of books sent to them so there's a ton of competition. Not everyone can get published, just like not everyone can be a movie star or a hit pop singer.

DarknessofHeavenandDreams

Also this. As I stated, writing is a competitive business. If you want to publish, you have to do a lot of work and you also need to be able to take critique, and be willing to make compromises sometimes. You can't just crap out some story you're making up as you go along and expect the publishing companies to fight over it. Even after you've got it written, there's still the matter of editing, finding an agent, sending it to publishers... You have to be very dedicated as well as realistic.

Along with actual writing talent, the book/story also has to be well written in plot, characters, point of view, location, events, and ect.!
A book without action is probably not even a single word long. Action is merely doing something.

There's nothing wrong with thinking your book/story will get published. You just have to be ready for a lot of rejection.

Beloved Prophet

Why is this even here? This thread is a mere comment on "lolgonnawriteab00k"
Chatter Box next time, dear.

Rainbow Lover

Since there is absolutely nothing in this thread to discuss I'm going to echo what everyone else is trying to get in your thick arrogant head:
You probably won't get published.

That doesn't mean stop trying. You're a failure for not trying despite knowing that you won't get published not the actual fact that you won't get published.

Everyone is telling you these words for a reason.
RADI0 Mouse
Oh, idealistic optimism. I love to see you crushed by cynicism and practicality.

If only realism was taught to children, rather than the gaudy monstrosity of blind and [********] optimism.

On another note:
If what?! If someone tells me that and they're wrong - THEN WHAT?!
The suspense is goddamn killing me.

Damn, you got to it before I could lol.

Also:

Loki Moirae

DUUUUUUUDDEEEEE. It's ok man keep trying. You're meant to submit to around 10 agents at a time, get their feedback, review, re-edit and then submit to another 10. Don't give up!

Out of curiosity though, would you be able to PM me your rejection letter or put it up on the forums? Super curious.

Dapper Explorer

8,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Why get your first book published? Why not go through a magazine (or webmagazine these days) first? Magazines are always looking for new talent, hell they thrive on new talent.

For speculative fiction (sci fi, fantasy, horror) I suggest Orson Scott Card's webmagazine, Intergalactic Medicine Show. It's the where I plan to try and submit my first story...if I can ever get past the "write it down" stage...

Invisible Ghost

Cogent Dream
Out of curiosity though, would you be able to PM me your rejection letter or put it up on the forums? Super curious.
You're not missing much. It's just a standard for letter they send out, most of the time.
Quote:
with compliments

Thank you for your submission to AGENT. I'm afraid we did not feel sufficiently confident that we could place this with a publisher to offer you representation with this agency. This is a very subjective business and another agency or publisher may well disagree.

Please excuse this impersonal nature of this note. Due to the high volume of material we receive we cannot write a personal response to everyone.

Best wishes,

SIGNATURE

[As you did not include return postage for your sample, we cannot return your submission. Should you require your submission back, please send adequate postage within 14 days from the receipt of this note.]

Quote:
Dear AUTHOR,

Thank you for submitting your work to the agency. After careful consideration I'm afraid I do not feel I am the right agent for this work, and I am therefore unable to offer to represent you. I'm sure you can appreciate that an agent must be totally committed to a work to sell it enthusiastically to a publisher; to do so otherwise is not in the best interests of the author.

Of course, another reader might have a completely different result to your writing, and I encourage you to send your work to other agents, or directly to publishers.

Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to read your work. Unfortunately, owing to the volume of submissions I receive I am unable to offer any critical comment on your submission.

With best wishes,

AGENT

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas