Welcome to Gaia! ::

currydaddy's Sweetheart

Feral Bunny

11,475 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
I stopped writing some time ago due to discouragement.
i was a freelancer sort of
I entered writing contests and such
I won some money here and there and i used to street perform with some of my stuff
but its so stressful finding work in that area.

anybody on gaia making money/a living from their writing?

/just curious because im constantly thinking about getting back into it.

Questionable Prophet

I'm not.
I hope to make a little bit eventually, but I imagine it'd never be anything to live off of. Probably best to have a proper job and then write on the side.

If you've already won a few contest, I'd keep going.

currydaddy's Sweetheart

Feral Bunny

11,475 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Expert Skill 150
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
I'm not.
I hope to make a little bit eventually, but I imagine it'd never be anything to live off of. Probably best to have a proper job and then write on the side.

If you've already won a few contest, I'd keep going.

Thank you bunches for the motivation. It upsets me that its so hard to make a career out of.

Dangerous Enabler

I do tech writing and marketing for a living! I know several people who make a living writing: mostly non-fiction, in food writing or journalism or working on textbooks.

Making a living on fiction is difficult, but that doesn't mean making a living on writing is all that hard. And it's still creative, and can be fun.
You can always publish creatively on the side. If you want a career out of writing, build a strong portfolio. You can always use your creative/technical works to show your strengths in marketing, advertising, editing, or anything of the sort. Many writers go into editor/copywriter positions or even work for companies as advertisers. There are many video game companies (and others of the sort) which are looking for creative writers to write character back-stories for games/shows, etc.

Until then, just build up your portfolio by publishing your stuff or collecting what you do have.
Don't give up! whee
There is a big demand for a great talent that you have. You can always find jobs as a freelancer in odesk or e-lance. You can also start building your name as a contributor to some blogs. I believe you should always go for your dreams. I read a nice article about reaching for your dreams. You can check it out here:
GO for your DREAMS here!

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
emptyoystershell
It upsets me that its so hard to make a career out of.

Welcome to the joys of being an artist. Lots of competition, because this is a dream job and there are always bunches of people looking to do it.

Honestly, I think the best way to go about writing is to approach it as a hobby and passion that might make money someday, but to go in for a steady job that fulfils your basic needs. Work to live, life to write.

Even published authors often struggle to make a living off of writing unless they are tremendously successful.

There are ways to turn writing into a career, but most of them involve writing for other people, and doing what they're looking for rather than what you necessarily want to do. If that interests you and you're willing to work hard to make it happen, it's possible. Can't say I've done it myself or looked into it terribly much (because I do like writing fantasy but am ambivalent about writing what other people want) but I know it's possible.

Invisible Fatcat

6,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Journalisim. It's nice because it's steady and all you have to do is get hired. You could also be a writter for ____(disney, pixar, super rich billy bob joe, ny times) instead of ALWAYS depending on your own ideas

Help me? : http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/writers/need-reviews-edits-on-script-what-do-you-think-of-it/t.95499941/

currydaddy's Sweetheart

Feral Bunny

11,475 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Expert Skill 150
shannen_ellis
There is a big demand for a great talent that you have. You can always find jobs as a freelancer in odesk or e-lance. You can also start building your name as a contributor to some blogs. I believe you should always go for your dreams. I read a nice article about reaching for your dreams. You can check it out here:
GO for your DREAMS here!

thanks bunches

currydaddy's Sweetheart

Feral Bunny

11,475 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Expert Skill 150
9fpbo
Keep going OP.

heart
emptyoystershell
shannen_ellis
GO for your DREAMS here!

thanks bunches

You are welcome! I wish you well! smile

Sparkly Gekko

I won a writing contest once that had the prize of a twenty dollar amazon gift card, a tote bag, and a "free" copy of a book that one of the judging authors wrote, but otherwise I haven't made jack squat.

It's very depressing, to be honest.

currydaddy's Sweetheart

Feral Bunny

11,475 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Expert Skill 150
Goddess Rukus
I won a writing contest once that had the prize of a twenty dollar amazon gift card, a tote bag, and a "free" copy of a book that one of the judging authors wrote, but otherwise I haven't made jack squat.

and it sucks because all the contest opportunities are for like high school kids. Once you're grown theres nothing like that for you. Ugh There needs to be more writing opportunities for people.

Sparkly Gekko

emptyoystershell
Goddess Rukus

and it sucks because all the contest opportunities are for like high school kids. Once you're grown theres nothing like that for you. Ugh There needs to be more writing opportunities for people.

In my experience it isn't so much that the contests are for high schoolers but that the contests with the best prizes (i.e. money) are too competitive for me to even consider (or they have entry fees). If I'm going to spend my time working my a** off writing something that'll win, then I may as well go the extra mile and publish it.

I think the worst part is the attitude that writers (and people in the arts in general, for that matter) shouldn't expect to be paid. That's more damaging than anything, really.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff