Welcome to Gaia! ::

Moonlight Sailor

LoperDoper
Racheling
Minxi_Maudlin
Don't give your work out to the first magazine that says 'yes', do your research and find out which magazines agents actually read/respect that way you can get someone decent to represent you and your work won't be stuck in some crappy magazine, because once they publish it you can't publish it again--they'll own the rights to your story. Your work is like your child!!! Cherish your work!!! biggrin

Well, agents care about the book you submit to them, not so much which magazines have published your short fiction. If it's a very prestigious magazine it could make them take a closer look, but they still have to love your submitted work. And many, many writers have signed with agents without having a single prior publication credit to their name.

It's also not necessarily true that you can't publish a short story again after you've sold it once. Some magazines do buy all rights, but many others simply purchase first North American publication rights. This means that after a certain period of time you can sell the work as a reprint. smile

I probably am wrong, but isn't that 100 years after the writer's death?

Not quite the same thing. What I mentioned were publication rights owned by the writer. How long a publisher keeps those rights depends on the contract you sign with them.

What you're referring to is length of copyright, which is a different matter. Even when you sell publication rights, you still own your copyright, which means no one can print/copy your work without permission. (Selling publication rights is one way of giving that permission.)

Copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. (There's another time frame for work for hire and certain other types of work that is 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation, whichever is shorter.)
Oh. Uh thanks for the tips

6,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
i love artist

6,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
darnit achevment
princess yelina
i love artist

What now?
6 Ways to Fail at a Creative Endeavor

A nice little article written in a way that may help some peeps.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Sir Icehawk

Thanks. This actually cheered me up.
I am The Compendium
Sir Icehawk

Thanks. This actually cheered me up.

Did the same for me. xD

Friendly Werewolf

15,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
LoperDoper
Racheling
Minxi_Maudlin
Don't give your work out to the first magazine that says 'yes', do your research and find out which magazines agents actually read/respect that way you can get someone decent to represent you and your work won't be stuck in some crappy magazine, because once they publish it you can't publish it again--they'll own the rights to your story. Your work is like your child!!! Cherish your work!!! biggrin

Well, agents care about the book you submit to them, not so much which magazines have published your short fiction. If it's a very prestigious magazine it could make them take a closer look, but they still have to love your submitted work. And many, many writers have signed with agents without having a single prior publication credit to their name.

It's also not necessarily true that you can't publish a short story again after you've sold it once. Some magazines do buy all rights, but many others simply purchase first North American publication rights. This means that after a certain period of time you can sell the work as a reprint. smile

I probably am wrong, but isn't that 100 years after the writer's death?

First North American Publishing Rights usually expire after three years, unless stated otherwise, exclusive, or renewed.

7,250 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
I have a bad problem with starting a story and writing twenty-thirty pages of it, but then never finishing it. Does anyone have any advice as to how to continue writing a story until the end?
Thanks

Oni Omoni's Princess

Sweetheart

SoSilverBright
I have a bad problem with starting a story and writing twenty-thirty pages of it, but then never finishing it. Does anyone have any advice as to how to continue writing a story until the end?
Thanks

Maybe think like a fan? Re-read it and really get into it (even if you must fake it at first, I suppose) and maybe you'll really actually be interested and you can write again.
Or, look for inspiration for where you want to go with it. I know that stories die down and then all of a sudden this amazing idea comes up and you know that you can add it to that story that you stopped writing a long time ago.
Perhaps ask a friend to ask you a bunch of questions about that story? Usually this will help you create more of your story as well as think more about it, so you might just get back into it. (I've done this with my writer friend who often stops writing LOL)
I dunno~ hope this helped!

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
SoSilverBright
Thanks

Persistence, determination, and making sure you're always into it--if you lose interested, go back and find out what made it so interesting int eh first place and where it detoured from that.

7,250 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
OmgRee
SoSilverBright
Thanks

Maybe think like a fan? Re-read it and really get into it (even if you must fake it at first, I suppose) and maybe you'll really actually be interested and you can write again.
Or, look for inspiration for where you want to go with it. I know that stories die down and then all of a sudden this amazing idea comes up and you know that you can add it to that story that you stopped writing a long time ago.
Perhaps ask a friend to ask you a bunch of questions about that story? Usually this will help you create more of your story as well as think more about it, so you might just get back into it. (I've done this with my writer friend who often stops writing LOL)
I dunno~ hope this helped!

Okay. Thanks. I'll try that. smile
um...
Just wondering if you guys can tell me which is the best publishing firm to go for.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff