Welcome to Gaia! ::

http://kevinomclaughlin.com/2011/05/12/begun-the-publishing-war-has/

A must read for any writer who is thinking about publishing. Especially, if your agent offers to publish it for you.
thnx 4 da help i got an essay due tomorrow!
The Case for Self-Publishing

Great article for anyone thinking of self publishing. Thanks to Micheal A. Stackpole for posting it on twitter.

2,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I know and thanks for the tips
I have wrote over 20 books and will continue so thank you for the tips bye crying redface smile biggrin 4laugh wink
Many praises and kudos cookies for the original posters of this very long and detailed explanation on writing/publishing!

I salute you a thousand times because these are some of the best informational forum posts (with links) on these subjects, and I needed it!

Thank you! heart
Don't give your work out to the first magazine that says 'yes', do your research and find out which magazines agents actually read/respect that way you can get someone decent to represent you and your work won't be stuck in some crappy magazine, because once they publish it you can't publish it again--they'll own the rights to your story. Your work is like your child!!! Cherish your work!!! biggrin

Moonlight Sailor

Minxi_Maudlin
Don't give your work out to the first magazine that says 'yes', do your research and find out which magazines agents actually read/respect that way you can get someone decent to represent you and your work won't be stuck in some crappy magazine, because once they publish it you can't publish it again--they'll own the rights to your story. Your work is like your child!!! Cherish your work!!! biggrin

Well, agents care about the book you submit to them, not so much which magazines have published your short fiction. If it's a very prestigious magazine it could make them take a closer look, but they still have to love your submitted work. And many, many writers have signed with agents without having a single prior publication credit to their name.

It's also not necessarily true that you can't publish a short story again after you've sold it once. Some magazines do buy all rights, but many others simply purchase first North American publication rights. This means that after a certain period of time you can sell the work as a reprint. smile
Racheling
Minxi_Maudlin

Well, agents care about the book you submit to them, not so much which magazines have published your short fiction. If it's a very prestigious magazine it could make them take a closer look, but they still have to love your submitted work. And many, many writers have signed with agents without having a single prior publication credit to their name.

It's also not necessarily true that you can't publish a short story again after you've sold it once. Some magazines do buy all rights, but many others simply purchase first North American publication rights. This means that after a certain period of time you can sell the work as a reprint. smile

Oh sweet, I didn't know that! Thanks for the heads up about the rights thing though. biggrin
This thread is glorious! eek heart

5,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
I love this thread.... There is another site for writers that I've come across Writers Cafe, it's pretty neat, check it out. I find many of the links on here really helpful. Thank you!
On publishing shorts and agent views of it:

Having publishing credits with magazines that pay professional rates helps more than it hurts. It says "Hey, I don't completely suck!" It also might get you out of the slush pile into the semi-pro slush pile or even the pro one. This is a good thing. It holds true for other magazines and I bet agents. Every step closer you can get to the actual agent/editor, the better.

Say if you write SF/F, SFWA.org's list of magazines they accept to count towards your 3 publications to join them. Those are the mags to aim for or say the ones like Lightspeed which I don't think is on the list yet, but is edited by a respected fellow. Being able to say you're a member of SFWA is good. Having 3 or more credits is great.

The manuscript you sent them still has to stand out. The package still has to shine. Professional credits to your name can only help.
I just found this forum after posting my own version of the question. This is a awesome topic that has already helped me.

Questionable Streaker

Racheling
Minxi_Maudlin

I probably am wrong, but isn't that 100 years after the writer's death?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff