Welcome to Gaia! ::

Moonlight Sailor

Sir Icehawk
Pro's often say that if a publisher is interested to tell them your agent will be in touch, and then go grab one.

The problem I have with this is that it's an obvious lie--if you had an agent already, they would have been the one contacting the publisher. I think it's better to be up-front and tell them you'd like a week to look for representation.
Racheling
Sir Icehawk
Pro's often say that if a publisher is interested to tell them your agent will be in touch, and then go grab one.

The problem I have with this is that it's an obvious lie--if you had an agent already, they would have been the one contacting the publisher. I think it's better to be up-front and tell them you'd like a week to look for representation.

I paraphrased. Clearly, you want to tell them you're in the process of getting an agent who will be in touch.

Moonlight Sailor

Sir Icehawk
Racheling
Sir Icehawk

I paraphrased. Clearly, you want to tell them you're in the process of getting an agent who will be in touch.

Thanks for clarifying. smile I've seen other people suggest wording it the way you said (meaning to imply you already have the agent), so I just wanted to throw that out there.

Moonlight Sailor

Here's a blog post by Rachelle Gardner on finding an agent after an offer: http://cba-ramblings.blogspot.com/2010/11/you-have-offer-from-publisher.html

5,800 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
You mentioned tax deductions in one or two of the posts. Would that apply to underage writers? (13-17, specifically?) If so, in what way? I am afraid I am not very knowledgable about taxes but I think before considering going to a publisher, I would need to be informed on this. Thank you.

Moonlight Sailor

WindFlight
You mentioned tax deductions in one or two of the posts. Would that apply to underage writers? (13-17, specifically?) If so, in what way? I am afraid I am not very knowledgable about taxes but I think before considering going to a publisher, I would need to be informed on this. Thank you.

I really can't give tax advice, but I can try to clear up a few things.

Tax deductions are not the same thing as losing some of your income to taxes. I'm pretty sure I only mentioned the latter--paying taxes on your writing income. Deductions are a separate issue that you probably don't need to worry about--at least not for now.

Basically, yes, as a minor you would still have to fill out tax forms and pay taxes on your income, just as you would pay taxes if you worked a retail job or something. Depending on what you earn you may get some of it back, the same as any other job.

The difference with writing income is you will owe more because you pay the self-employment rate (with a regular job, your employer pays a percentage of this). And since it's not taken out of your paycheck in advance the way it is if you get a regular paycheck, you need to figure out how much you owe and make sure you set aside that amount for filing taxes. You would need to figure out how to file your local and state taxes as well.

There's more to it than that, but again, I'm not an accountant. My plan is to hire an accountant to make sure everything's in order as soon as my taxes get any more complicated than they are now. xp

Does that help at all, or did it just make things more confusing?

5,800 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
No, it was very helpful, thank you. That was basically what I wanted to know. I can look into taxes more on my own, but since I know minors would have to pay taxes I know what to look for, basically... Thank you!
The info. here has really been helping!

Especially the link to what publishers hate in the opening. I was having trouble on how to open my book but now I have a pretty clear picture!

THANK YOU!
Might want to add IndieHorror to Workshops and Critique Groups =)
Hmmm....great advice but question.

Would these same tips follow for a series of novels?

Moonlight Sailor

SkyMessenger
Hmmm....great advice but question.

Would these same tips follow for a series of novels?

There are exceptions, but in general you pitch one book (the first book in the series) and it should stand alone. It's fine to say it has the potential to be a series or that you have outlines for sequels, but most people do not want to be pitched a five-book series right off from an unpublished writer.

Orion Enguee-Feathers
I have no idea to publish, I was set for a publication in 2013 but I think I should get published before then aand i don't know how. about who I should go to and what kind of publication I should look for, I just don't know the first thing about publishing. Where should I go? any ideas? and about first Publishing, what if I get my first book published by a company that I turn out not to like? How do I get accepted into a different company?
I'm so confused

You can't put a time limit on when you'll get published. It just doesn't work that way. It takes most people multiple books and multiple years before they get published. There's a lot of information in the links, so my best advice is to just start reading and learning about the process.
http://tinyurl.com/64ar69k

Nice article by a Pro ( series of articles I do believe) on ebook and all. Quite an interesting read.

http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2011/04/13/author-income-streams/

A good article about income.
thanks... confused

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out