Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Phantom

I am trying to write a story I know what it's going to be about so I don't need help there, I need to know what the elements of a story are. I know three of them.
Setting:
Time:
Plot:
Could someone help me out with the others please?
setting
time
plot
protanginist
antagionist
rising action
falling action
conclusion
(irony) if included
Time falls under setting. stare
rising action/falling action/conclusion are part of the plot. stare stare

you really just need your characters, the plot and some clean paper. true writing isn't made of techniques, it just flows from your pen. 3nodding

Quotable Autobiographer

6,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conventioneer 300
It's great to think about everything before you start- It makes your writing clearer.. But too much thinking and you'll never get to the story! Spend a little time thinking up a plot, a setting, characters, and theme (or conflict), but then more right on to writing! A load of research isn't a story until you actually go about writing!
Characters are the most important. Setting and plot are important too, but what you really need is at least one good character. Nothing else matters nearly as much. 3nodding
Characters!!! there must be cool - several, bouys and girls... a bad guy... !!!
Here's what you need to do. When I wrote my novel, it helped to plot things out and get everything built up. Your elements will vary depending upon the story you right, but basically, you have.

Setting: place of story.
Time: When does the story take place?
Plot: What's going to happen? What makes the story worth reading?
Protagonist: your hero (could have several)
Antagionist: the villian (could have several)
Secondary Characters: Races, People, helpers, ect.
Climax: There may be several in your book, but you have to build up to each one and resolve each one. Doing so will help you rise to an even bigger peak next time.
Conclusion: How does the story end?

And I must disagree with Mistress of the Stars. You don't just need your characters. You need your world, ideas, technique, and style. The basis of true writing flows from your pen, but to control that creativity and channel it into a story is something that comes with time. Do research on what you're working on. If you're writing fantasy and have no idea about swords and weapons of the Dark Ages, go and look it up. It adds grounding to your story. If your character has to care for a horse and you don't know how to do that, then go find out by doing or by reading about it. And always read!

There's a ten step process for writing and it goes like this:

Read, Read, Read,
Outline, Outline, Outline,
Write, Write, Write,
Repeat.

~From Sometimes the Magic Works
Terry Brooks.
Atreas

Read, Read, Read,
Write, Write, Write,
Repeat.
Terry Brooks.

Absolutely... when it comes down to the basics, this is what really matters. I know I couldn't have written my novel without it (nor the ones I have ready to go now either)... smile
Atreas
Here's what you need to do. When I wrote my novel, it helped to plot things out and get everything built up. Your elements will vary depending upon the story you right, but basically, you have.

Setting: place of story.
Time: When does the story take place?
Plot: What's going to happen? What makes the story worth reading?
Protagonist: your hero (could have several)
Antagionist: the villian (could have several)
Secondary Characters: Races, People, helpers, ect.
Climax: There may be several in your book, but you have to build up to each one and resolve each one. Doing so will help you rise to an even bigger peak next time.
Conclusion: How does the story end?

And I must disagree with Mistress of the Stars. You don't just need your characters. You need your world, ideas, technique, and style. The basis of true writing flows from your pen, but to control that creativity and channel it into a story is something that comes with time. Do research on what you're working on. If you're writing fantasy and have no idea about swords and weapons of the Dark Ages, go and look it up. It adds grounding to your story. If your character has to care for a horse and you don't know how to do that, then go find out by doing or by reading about it. And always read!

There's a ten step process for writing and it goes like this:

Read, Read, Read,
Write, Write, Write,
Repeat.

Terry Brooks.

I agree completely. 3nodding I took a Creative Writing class two years ago, and I remember my teacher focusing a lot on character sketches and points of climax. Also, she focused a lot on what's called "recognition/reversal" where the protagonist discovers something (like an epiphany or revelation) and changes their point of view at the conclusion of the story. She always said that every story MUST have this; and, much to my despair, my stories often lacked this. sweatdrop
and of course, everyone's forgetting what they always miss on my tests, too.

Hook: (rough definition) a word, phrase, or situation in a plot that grabs the reader's attention and probes them to read on.

every good bit of work has a hook. if you don't have one, people are going to think it's boring.

If you've ever read "the Hobbit" by JRR Tolkien, this will be easier, but I'll use it as an example anyway.

the hook is the first line: "In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit." what hooks the reader's attention about this one? Well, it forces them to ask questions such as, "What is a hobbit?" and, "What does it live in a hole in the ground?"

The readers ask themselves then read on to find out why. Have a hook, and hook your readers. It's a key to successful writing.
Elements of a story? I think we took that up in fourth or fifth grade... can't remember. So sorry if I'm wrong.

* Plot
* Characters
* Setting
* Climax
* Denoument
* Theme

Good luck, anyway. heart
Screw the writing process! scream I've found that the writing process actually hiders ones creativity. Just know what you want to happen and let it happen. All you need is a sheet of paper and a pen, hum a little tune and write!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff