Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,900 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
I have been planning a novel for 2 years, I planned 800 so far but never written any, I actually did but book always changed, I wrote 10 times but they are all scrap now. I am thinking of setting it in a different time. I have 3 options:
1-Medieval time with advanced mechanics that allows people in the world to build advanced mechanical devices such as Steam ships, steam robots etc and as for fashion, it has a 1930s style with Gangster hats, Jazz like music etc.
2-Post modern era with advanced gunpowder and mechanics but for some reason guns are not so common, still there are even Assault Rifles, as for fashion it has medieval clothes and medieval music.
Also if you have any suggestion, please tell me.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Only the 1930's would be viable.

A future without guns would make no sense.

A medeival period would not have enough people to support tech such as steam power.

4,900 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
I_Write_Ivre

A medeival period would not have enough people to support tech such as steam power.

It is not future, the reason guns are not common is, my world has different ores than our world, and none of the common materials can be used to make weapons, so they can only use gold or ores like that but that makes guns uncommon. By medieval period, I mean with Feudalism, weapons are mostly swords and bows etc.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Those are two very different settings. Have you considered which one makes the most sense for the story? A medieval story is most likely going to have a massive influential church, very narrow views, and women in a subservient position. The medieval era I'm familiar with was very bloody and hectic, with the potential for war bubbling every day. As most people farmed on land belonging to a Lord, they could be conscripted to go into a war with their neighbours.

If they have advanced mechanics and devices, why are they still in the medieval era? Wouldn't they have technologically advanced beyond that point, into something closer to the Victorian Era (which is why most Steampunk stories are set in a Victorian-esque timeline).

As for the second; if guns aren't common then they would not ve advanced. At all. The race to build bigger and better weapons is what facilitates their becoming better and more advanced. If few people own them there is little cause to improve on the design. Additionally, why are they in itchy fabric with a limited colour range if they can muster all this money to advance guns? Why is music so far behind when, realistically, it would be much more common and thus likely to advance?

I think you need to settle on a specific setting that makes sense for the story. From there, you'll probably want to research it so you don't have your readers scratching their heads over inconsistencies.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Lunel the Bandit King
I_Write_Ivre

It is not future, the reason guns are not common is, my world has different ores than our world, and none of the common materials can be used to make weapons, so they can only use gold or ores like that but that makes guns uncommon. By medieval period, I mean with Feudalism, weapons are mostly swords and bows etc.

Yeah, a feudal society wouldn't have enough people or trade for steampower. The government wouldn't work for such advancements either, especially if there are guilds.

As for lacking the ingredients for gunpowder, one needs a nitrate (fertilizer works), charcoal (you have this if you have a lot of trees, and sulfur (rotten eggs).

I feel like novels centered around the 1930s is becoming a lot more popular, but then again, I’m a HUGE prohibition fan! I would definitely love to read a 1930's novel that didn't focus solely on flapper drama.

Distinct Conversationalist

Hrm. You're kind of trying to jam details from too many historical eras together without understanding that what you really want to do is figure out what conditions you want to set on the world (medieval culture, advanced but rare weapons, a certain kind of government, so on and so forth) and then come up with reasonable explanations for why this is (guns were common, but then some disaster wiped out a lot of society, which regressed to a Medieval level but still has some working artifacts from its more advanced state, but not enough population to support replicating such technology).

Although, really, if you've planned a dozen stories and written none... planning elements are not what you need to be working on, here. And speaking from experience, it's easier to write a story that you've spent one week planning than one you've spent a year planning. Define really basic stuff (yeah, okay, that includes the basics of the setting), start producing text, and figure out the rest as you go along. If you change something halfway through, well, that's what editing is for.

4,900 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Hmm.. maybe I should be more clear.
The novel is about crime life in a Medieval era, which is set in a World like LotR world, first option was my main option expect I changed the fashion and culture and it was mixed with second option, later I wanted to change it. So which would be better, Medieval times, which only means kingdoms and feudalism of large lands, with advanced mechanism a.k.a. steampunk. Or Post Modern age, which is still filled with kingdoms but has a more advanced weapons technology instead of mechanical technology. But fashion, armors and music, which means complete culture is still medieval.

4,900 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Kita-Ysabell
Hrm. You're kind of trying to jam details from too many historical eras together without understanding that what you really want to do is figure out what conditions you want to set on the world (medieval culture, advanced but rare weapons, a certain kind of government, so on and so forth) and then come up with reasonable explanations for why this is (guns were common, but then some disaster wiped out a lot of society, which regressed to a Medieval level but still has some working artifacts from its more advanced state, but not enough population to support replicating such technology).

Although, really, if you've planned a dozen stories and written none... planning elements are not what you need to be working on, here. And speaking from experience, it's easier to write a story that you've spent one week planning than one you've spent a year planning. Define really basic stuff (yeah, okay, that includes the basics of the setting), start producing text, and figure out the rest as you go along. If you change something halfway through, well, that's what editing is for.

Reason guns are not common is common ores in the world I plan can't resist to heat of a gunpowder explosion, there are ones that are used for cannons, which are common, but can't be melted into small pieces to make guns, when they try to do it, melted ingot just turns into pieces. Ores that are good for making guns are rare so only Lords and Pirate Captains, Admirals etc have guns.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Lunel the Bandit King
The novel is about crime life in a Medieval era, which is set in a World like LotR

That would make less sense. LOTR had people working very little in a feudal system (they'd die in a month doing that) and everything was clean (not enough people or time to do that, even if there was a sewer system, which was sorely needed).

world, first option was my main option expect I changed the fashion and culture and it was mixed with second option, later I wanted to change it. So which would be better, Medieval times, which only means kingdoms and feudalism of large lands, with advanced mechanism a.k.a. steampunk.
The more you repeat it, the more you're going to be told it won't work. No enough time, people, hygiene, and the government system won't allow for that kind of tech. If you want a more thorough explanation, I'd be happy to give you one, but medieval would never logically allow cleanliness or tech on that level.

Lunel the Bandit King
Or Post Modern age,

Which is what? 1940's or after 2012?

Lunel the Bandit King
which is still filled with kingdoms but has a more advanced weapons technology instead of mechanical technology. But fashion, armors and music, which means complete culture is still medieval.

Actually, it'd mean they just like retro music, fashion, and getting killed instantly. It wouldn't be medieval (unless they abandoned their tech and decided to significantly downgrade to dying at the age of thirty or earlier)

Medieval means having a free hour every month and living in poop. Do some basic research (and watch SFdebris's review of Insurrection, which points out how society like that wouldn't work at all ever).

4,900 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
I_Write_Ivre
Lunel the Bandit King
The novel is about crime life in a Medieval era, which is set in a World like LotR

That would make less sense. LOTR had people working very little in a feudal system (they'd die in a month doing that) and everything was clean (not enough people or time to do that, even if there was a sewer system, which was sorely needed).

world, first option was my main option expect I changed the fashion and culture and it was mixed with second option, later I wanted to change it. So which would be better, Medieval times, which only means kingdoms and feudalism of large lands, with advanced mechanism a.k.a. steampunk.

The more you repeat it, the more you're going to be told it won't work. No enough time, people, hygiene, and the government system won't allow for that kind of tech. If you want a more thorough explanation, I'd be happy to give you one, but medieval would never logically allow cleanliness or tech on that level.

Lunel the Bandit King
Or Post Modern age,

Which is what? 1940's or after 2012?

Lunel the Bandit King
which is still filled with kingdoms but has a more advanced weapons technology instead of mechanical technology. But fashion, armors and music, which means complete culture is still medieval.

Actually, it'd mean they just like retro music, fashion, and getting killed instantly. It wouldn't be medieval (unless they abandoned their tech and decided to significantly downgrade to dying at the age of thirty or earlier)

Medieval means having a free hour every month and living in poop. Do some basic research (and watch SFdebris's review of Insurrection, which points out how society like that wouldn't work at all ever).
I can't give details about my book so it sounds a little stupid because you don't know much about the feudal and political system, it is completely unique and logical but, I don't want people to know my ideas, I fear they might steal it. Oh also post modern age meant, a little bit moderner than Medieval, I told it wrong, it is like 1600s or 1700s.
My english is not perfect so I choose wrong words. By medieval, I meant as political system. Not people living in poop.
So technically I got it all figured out, I should probably choose better words.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Lunel the Bandit King

I can't give details about my book so it sounds a little stupid because you don't know much about the feudal and political system,

I've done years of research on it. It wouldn't work. Trade would be too centralized, guilds would impede progress, and there would be internal feuding constantly, making places vulnerable to attack. There wouldn't be enough people for the army, as everyone would be working all the time. in a feudal medieval society, wars only happened after the harvest when it was too early to plant again.

Lunel the Bandit King
it is completely unique and logical but,

It's neither.

Lunel the Bandit King
I don't want people to know my ideas,

We already do. And we can neither help you with or believe what you don't tell us.

Lunel the Bandit King
I fear they might steal it

Who is so lazy they hang out on an anime site to steal ideas and then puts all the effort to write and edit it? That makes no sense.

Lunel the Bandit King
Oh also post modern age meant, a little bit moderner than Medieval, I told it wrong, it is like 1600s or 1700s.

Now THAT time period had different governments entirely, more trade, and more freedom, making it far more possible for both cleanliness ans early steampower. Few places were feudal then, and they were the poor people still living in poop.

Lunel the Bandit King
My english is not perfect so I choose wrong words. By medieval, I meant as political system.

Yeah, that wouldn't support steam.

Lunel the Bandit King
Not people living in poop.

People did, a lot due to the government. The government didn't want freedom of speech or ideas, or competition between people. They did little to nothing to keep the town fixed. This means no sewer system and little incentive to work harder than you have to eke out a living. That means poop from having to deal with manure, no sewer system, no restrooms but in your own house, from all the horses, and needing waste for essential minerals and elements.
Lunel the Bandit King
So technically I got it all figured out, I should probably choose better words.

No, you still need research. Do they have sewers? Toilets? Public ones that aren't on the street? Steam means factories, but Feudal means not enough people in one place. Lords hate merchants, making trade rare. What incentive is there to amass wealth, when, in a feudal society, it'd anger the lord?

Distinct Conversationalist

I_Write_Ivre
No, you still need research.
This. This so much.

See, I think the reason you're confusing terms isn't a matter of how good your English is, it's a matter of how well you know your subject matter. There's a BIG difference between the medieval era and the Renaissance. Know this. Know what characterizes each. Understand technology and how and why it develops.

As has been said over and over again, if you can't make guns, the guns that are made are going to be s**t.

Adorable Fisher

I can see a future without guns. Look at Japan, there are hardly any guns. So it could work.

Unfortunately, both of your themes lost me with their science. But, if you can make the science sound plausible, then okay~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff