Welcome to Gaia! ::

Its so hard when writing a book.

I can't place them with names or anything.

Is there a helpful site when writing?

Dangerous Enabler

The stickies have a lot of helpful links, but Seventh Sanctum or a baby names site both have lots of names. Names tend to be an unimportant part of a character, though, and easily changed, so: what purpose does the character serve in your story? What do they want to achieve? For example, do they want to rule the world and kill all humans to get it? That's important characterization! Do they interrupt the conversation your main character is having with the bartender telling them information because they want a glass of water? Also important characterization, even if it means that this particular character probably has a less central role in the story.
With the names, try thinking about what culture your characters might come from. What would your character's parents be likely to name them? (A Japanese gardener might name their daughter Sakura, for instance.) If you're writing a fantasy, think about what culture you might try to mimic. Looking at baby name sites, like phantomkitsune suggested, can help a lot.

As with actual character development, start with their goal and motivation. These can change over the course of the story but make them solid. Then add on some values, background, and personality. Ask a lot of questions. Where do they come from? What are their mannerisms like? What are some quirks that may come up in the story? What are some traits that may hinder them during the plot? Then figure out some obstacles to their goals. Are there antagonists? Do they struggle with some internal conflict? Where does the setting take place and how might the features help or hinder them?

The stickies have a lot of information. You can also try looking at author blogs or pick up a book about writing fiction at a local bookstore. If you run into any specific problems, don't be afraid to ask for help here.

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
netflix v2
Its so hard when writing a book.

I can't place them with names or anything.

Is there a helpful site when writing?

Forget names and focus on story. You could take any story and replace all the names with new ones that also worked with the setting, and you wouldn't change the story at all.

Shy Sophomore

17,050 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
I guess it cane be hard if you're not looking into the backgrounds of Kairi touched up on. However, a name is just a name. Characters serve a purpose in the story, and they all have a role in which they must put shoes on for. Put a placeholder name on the character, move on, and finish the story. If you're that bothered by it, just choose a name that should suit the character for the time being until you find a more fitting for them.

Good luck in your writings.
I'd focus on the story and come up with names later. But if names are really that important to you, I found babynames.com and behindthename.com helpful.

Squama's Compadre

Leaf

Well, you can just simply Google yourself and get a whack of good resources available to writers. I'm not too sure of any specifically at the moment, but there could be a few out there for you.
I usually imagine my characters. I write down their physical traits and their abilities. That way I can imagine them in a way to put them in the story.
It's a lot of thinking to yourself, like, do I want the protagonist to be a rich person? A nice person? Do they have powers? What kind?
When choosing fictional names, you want to pick something that really stands out.

Like the name Sara. Not all that standing out ish no offense to anyone named Sara.

Names like : Marrock, Brison, Valeeri bla bla bla. Try saying random words, then twist around the letters!
Oh hey, let me plug Scrivener again. It has a useful name generator.
Deadly Snuggles
When choosing fictional names, you want to pick something that really stands out.

Like the name Sara. Not all that standing out ish no offense to anyone named Sara.

Names like : Marrock, Brison, Valeeri bla bla bla. Try saying random words, then twist around the letters!

I like Sara.
Senator Armstrong
Deadly Snuggles

I like Sara.

Ok however it's not fictional, and I wasn't going by your preferences I was going by hers.
Deadly Snuggles
Senator Armstrong
Deadly Snuggles

I like Sara.

Ok however it's not fictional, and I wasn't going by your preferences I was going by hers.

I don't know, a made up character with the name sara sounds plenty fictional to me. I suppose a lack of Judeo-Christian nomenclature would probably mean it's not a name in a fictional world, but then again just throwing syllables together sounds ******** idiotic.
Senator Armstrong
Deadly Snuggles
Senator Armstrong
Deadly Snuggles

I like Sara.

I don't know, a made up character with the name sara sounds plenty fictional to me. I suppose a lack of Judeo-Christian nomenclature would probably mean it's not a name in a fictional world, but then again just throwing syllables together sounds ******** idiotic.

I did not post my advice for you. It was for her. I don't need you telling me that the sample names I told her sound effing idiotic. I did not ask for your opinion, I'm merely trying to help her with what may sound best for her story. Judeo-Chrstian nomenclature has nothing to do with my advice what so ever. And you telling me you like the name Sara? Great. Fantastic, good for you. That's a name that you like. But as I've previously stated - I was giving her the advice. Not you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff