Welcome to Gaia! ::

I found that in my novels, I often use the themes of emotional anguish - and this often leads to an increase in wisdom in the characters, or it is a required characteristic in order for the story to progress. Emotion, human relationships, morality, philosophical questions and ethical dilemmas.

Another reoccurring theme in my stories that I unconsciously use is alienation - my main characters tend to be detached from wider society and is very self focused. It is a purely selfish view of the world around them that is often portrayed in my writing, most likely because that is how I am personally (I am often very detached from the world around me). The main characters also tend to be very curious and thoughtful in general. If there is more than one main character, they tend to be polar opposites.

I found that a lot of my writing has a very personal feel to them, almost autobiographical - even though its mostly written in third person.

What about you? What themes do you often use in your novels and what are your writings most reoccurring traits?

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Ethics, children, justice, equality, and sometimes religion.
Mental illness, drug abuse, and sexuality. We write what we know, I guess,

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Redemption shows up a lot. Friendship and loyalty too. I like to write stories where the world may not be perfect, but the characters are actively striving to make things better.

I write a lot of vampire stories. The idea of agelessness and characters coming from different points in time is just really interesting to me.

Toothsome Elder

The connection of man to nature, or the lack thereof. The unknown/the coming future and the psychosocial adjustment it requires. Racial or ethnic coming of age. Personal responsibility.

Ruthless Lunatic

Alienation, darkness, strained family ties, and issues with authority figures. lol
Redemption, shame, literal or metaphorical katabasis, rebirth, the descent into insanity or depravity, unity, love.
War and the change it brings. I always seem to have that theme in all my stories. Makes great conflict.

Right, wrong, and grey areas of morality are things I like to play with too. More specifically, doing something extremely unethical for what they consider the greater good is a common trait among my antagonists.

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Mental illness, issues with authority figures, death, questioning human morality, conflicting cultural values...

Questionable Prophet

I tend to write a lot about characters having to take responsibility for things they shouldn't have to. A lot of family stuff

My characters tend to be a** hats.

High-functioning Noob

~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Well, blood, apparently. <-- did not intend on this being a 'theme' for my novel, but it's definitely a theme now.

The occult, mythologies, blending cultures, historical events, a** loads of symbolism and foreshadowing, adding philosophical undertones to innocent conversations, also ethical dilemmas, physical and mental handicaps, random inserts of comic relief. Also children and animals. I realize a lot of my characters are getting pets and that's probably a little unusual.

~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Diamond Bear

i write poetry mainly but my few short stories tend to hinge on irony, adjusting to major life events and loss of something.

Gracious Cardholder

5,825 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I mostly dabble in the fantasy genre and throw in some complicated relations between characters. More than once I have killed off characters that emotionally were important to main characters so I guess that could be a theme in my writing. All in all, I love to work on the relationships between the characters and make the dymanic between them constantly changing by stirring it up with tension and differences in opinions.

Dangerous Hunter

7,565 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I find I generally write about really abnormal things happening to really normal people. We all have a sort of snow globe perspective of the world, but what happens when your problems are dwarfed or made insignificant by something really crazy? I know I'm a realist at heart, so I try to take it easy on the melodrama and go for tougher questions about what do you when it turns out the guy you just met is actually a government controlled robot? Or in a world where women are considered lesser beings, what happens when a man meets a woman who completely turns the world order on its head? I also like to keep in mind what George R.R. Martin does in his work; death is a part of life. Not that I like killing off characters, but I always sort of remind myself that happy endings are generally less likely and if I am going to write a happy ending (which I do, what can I say) it has to be balanced.

Trash

I probably don't convey it clearly enough since my writing is whack, but I tend to write about friendship, angst/emotional relapse, and revival. Or something. Also, although I'm just an ordinary person with ordinary struggles, I find a lot of my characters to be ordinary people thrust into abnormal or downright surreal situations where such struggles could range between mental stability to basic survival. Still working on exploring those latter themes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff