Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm not sure if it's ok for me to post this but I really need some help sweatdrop

I'm actually reading an article for my studies & I've come across a word I don't understand; it's transaesthetic.
I've typed it into Dictionary.com & it's come up with no results, & I've also had no luck with a Google search.
I've found a meaning/definition for "aesthetic" though:
Quote:
–adjective 1. pertaining to a sense of the beautiful or to the science of aesthetics.
2. having a sense of the beautiful; characterized by a love of beauty.
3. pertaining to, involving, or concerned with pure emotion and sensation as opposed to pure intellectuality.
–noun 4. a philosophical theory or idea of what is aesthetically valid at a given time and place: the clean lines, bare surfaces, and sense of space that bespeak the machine-age aesthetic.
5. aesthetics.
6. Archaic. the study of the nature of sensation.

This is the sentence in which the word is used:
Quote:
In the postmodern media and consumer society, everything becomes an image, a sign, a
spectacle, a transaesthetic object -- just as everything also becomes trans-economic, -political,
and -sexual.

I'd be grateful for any help! Thanks in advance biggrin

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
Prefix trans-:

Dictionary.com
1.a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin (transcend; transfix); on this model, used with the meanings “across,” “beyond,” “through,” “changing thoroughly,” “transverse,” in combination with elements of any origin: transisthmian; trans-Siberian; transempirical; transvalue.
2. Chemistry. a prefix denoting a geometric isomer having a pair of identical atoms or groups on the opposite sides of two atoms linked by a double bond. Compare cis- (def. 2).
3. Astronomy. a prefix denoting something farther from the sun (than a given planet): trans-Martian; trans-Neptunian.
Thanks for your help! biggrin

Although I actually found a proper definition earlier on in the document sweatdrop Sorry to waste your time...

In case anyone is curious as to what it means:
Quote:
Baudrillard calls this situation "transaesthetics" which he relates to similar phenomena of
"transpolitics," "transsexuality," and "transeconomics," in which everything becomes political,
sexual, and economic, so that these domains, like art, lose their specificity, their boundaries, their
distinctness. The result is a confused condition where there are no more criteria of value, of
judgement, of taste, and the function of the normative thus collapses in a morass of indifference
and inertia.

..although I find this quite confusing anywho >_o;
LARD MONSTER

Although I actually found a proper definition earlier on in the document sweatdrop Sorry to waste your time...

Quote:
Baudrillard calls this situation "transaesthetics" which he relates to similar phenomena of
"transpolitics," "transsexuality," and "transeconomics," in which everything becomes political,
sexual, and economic, so that these domains, like art, lose their specificity, their boundaries, their
distinctness. The result is a confused condition where there are no more criteria of value, of
judgement, of taste, and the function of the normative thus collapses in a morass of indifference
and inertia.

Basically, it's cultural nihilism: everything is the same, nothing means anything, nothing has a purpose.
Dai the Man Slayer
LARD MONSTER

Quote:
and inertia.

Basically, it's cultural nihilism: everything is the same, nothing means anything, nothing has a purpose.

One of the many characteristics of the postmodern world! The idea of simulacra is along the same lines, the image without context or meaning.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff