Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do you think?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on July 7, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

I love fanfiction. It's a way to explore ideas that probably wouldn't occur in the actual show/movie/comic/book, etc.... Such as yaoi or yuri pairings in a straight show or pulling canon couples apart to pair them with other people.
Fanfiction is a great way to start to get you into writing, IMO. You don't need to make characters or settings (unless it's AU), so you just concentrate on plot. When you get better at plot building, you can move onto original stories in which you create every part of your story.
I like fanfiction. A lot of people always say stuff to me like..."what if this happened" or something like that. So I tell them to type it and post it on fanfiction. 3nodding
Personally, I love fanfictions and I enjoy writing them. I mainly use to write Harry Potter fanfics, until my friends and my little sister got me MAJORLY into Inuyasha! That's like, my all time favorite show! I mainly write and read romance Fictions. Usually Inuyasha/Kagome, though, I do read some Miroku/Sango, Miroku/Kagome, Sesshomaru/Kagome and I once read a Inuyasha/Sango one...that one was just weird...O_o

Kay, well...I have a two of them going right now. They're both Inuyasha/Kagome romance fics. One of them is like a highschool fic, so it's OOC. In that one, Kagome's parents and grandfather were killed in a car accident, leaving Kagome to take care of Souta. They move and start a new life and the only person that knows about it is a man named Aki, who's been like an older brother to Kagome during her hard times. Kikyo hangs all over Inuyasha, but he hates it. So, the only one who can heal Kagome is of course, Inuyasha!

The other one, is a little OOC, but not much. They had defeated Naraku and Kagome used the jewel to transport her friends to her time and to keep the well open. Inuyasha is hurt really badly and Kagome takes care of him. So, after he gets all better, they confess their love for each other. Of course, they can't have a perfect relationship, there's hardships along the way.

Well...that's about the jist of both fanfics...well...I kinda got off point, but yeah, I love fanfictions and I mean....how can you not?

~Airana~
I personally im not a follower of fan fiction, although I have read some (particularly a friend of mine's) If it is just fan fiction of characters an actor would play or animated characters it doesn't bother me, these characters are made up anyway. What does irk me is when some people use actors, actresses, vocal artists, etc. REAL PEOPLE as their characters. You just keep thinking, what would this person say if they read it. "Aww that's sweet but this is a load of crap?!" I'm not against fan ficiton in a "let's ban it all!" way, that's just my opinion.
Sometimes, there's a story in someone else's universe that just has to be told.
Fan fiction is a great way for writers to practice writing and at the same time pay homage to the characters and stories they love. I think it's a wonderful outlet for both writers and readers, and I am both a fan fiction writer and reader myself.

Yes, one of the hang-ups of the fan fiction world is the amount of badfic that is currently on the web. Trust me, I know better than many how much fan fiction has declined in the last five to six years - there was a time when you actually had to spell check, proof read and refine your fic in order to post it to a list, which was usually a Usenet group back then. Those who didn't often couldn't handle the criticism they got on the fic and didn't come back until they were a better writer.

This is where the importance of good fan fiction readers comes in - as readers, we need to also make the effort to review the work, giving constructive criticism and pointing out things that do and don't work in the story. I've had more than one n00b writer blow up at me and use excessive amounts of profanity to tell me to never review their stories again - and I didn't. If they can't make the effort to be a good writer, I can't make the effort to read their fics, and their name goes on my "black list" of writers I will never read the works of again.

Fan fiction is a beneficial aspect of writing for everyone, if it's used properly.
I used to read and write fanfiction all the time, for nearly two years. When I felt confident in my writing, I slowly shifted to originals. I read and write so many originals, I don't have time for fanfics any more, but I appreciate that it played a huge role in my writing "career". Had it not been for the feedback so readily available in the fanfiction world, I would have never grown the faith in myself to write originals (and I would have never met one of the greatest friends I've ever had ^_^)
I love fanfiction, but only with writing it. Usually I'm scared to read it because in Fruits Basket/Harry Potter there are so many Mary Sues and it's hard to stumble upon a good fanfiction. Though if something catches my fancy, I'll read it without any doubt.
I love fanfiction, both reading and writing them. But like many have already said, it is hard to find really good ones. Fanfiction.net is probably the best place to go for good fanfics. 3nodding
Fanfiction is a good writing excercise, because then you can work at trying to write a story about someone else's characters/world and keep it true to the original story. It can give you new ideas to work with.
I usually don't read fanfiction, though sweatdrop
Eziya Minamoto
minigilesstyle
Fanfiction is great it gives you something to look at while the original aurthor write the next book or movie and sometimes it's better than what the original aurthor writes and sometimes its just fun to laugh at really lame ones.

haha. Good point.

Yeah, I second that.
I will read fanfiction every now and then but I can't write it. I'm just not good at it.
I love fanfiction, I try to write every now and again but my attention span has no such capacity, so I just stick w/ reading. However, ff.net has really been getting on my nerves as of late because it seems like the quality of fics has been dropping rapidly. I am a huge romance fan (especially lemons blaugh ), and I'm getting tired of all the little kids trying to write but can't because 1. they use such vulgar language, it completely ruins the mood that lemons and romance fics in general are supposed to create and 2. developed plots dont seem to exist any more in most fanfics and it's driving me crazy. Can anyone relate to me? stressed
I've only written one fanfic and ... uh... it's kinda still a work in progress sweatdrop But anyway, I prefer to writeing fanfics to reading them just cause alot of times I don't like what the author is doing with the story. I'll start reading one and be like "Oh, it would have been better like this..." or "GEEZ! is this person crazy? (insert character name here) would never do that!" but yea, that's just me.... I do that with books too sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff