Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Hunter

8,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
I want to write a story, but making characters is my weak point. Since the protagonist is the most essential character in the story, I thought I should start with that. To be quite honest, I don't really read many books (only 3 series), but I do read a lot of manga.

Well, my main problem is that I don't know how to create a personality and I'm not really sure what would make a good protagonist, a likable one that is.

Kawaii Shoujo

If you don't mind signing up for (free) sites for character building, I recommend using Charahub.com because you can arrange your characters by story as well. (Here's my referral code: https://charahub.com/refer/tsb7)

If you're not so keen on signing up for something, I would google "character questionnaire" because something should definitely show up.

Dapper Explorer

4,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Often protagonists in literature aren't people I'd necessary like in real life, so making them perfect or the most likable personality isn't necessary. But I think what's important is that there's something in them that readers will really relate to - whatever that is would totally depend on the rest of the character/story. But I'd say just start small, maybe one or two traits you'd like to see in the protagonist in your story (or that he/she needs for your story) then expand on it.

Fallen Allegiant

23,150 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Never Give Up 35
  • First Fall 15
Why not just start with the story plot? Sometimes I build my characters based on what happens in my story. That way I can form the character's personality based on what they need to do. And then I'll build a history of to explain why they they take certain actions, have certain views or why they're in the position they're in. Also your protagonist doesn't necessarily have to be liked in order to be one that interests people. Or maybe you can write a story that doesn't have to be so fixed on the characters. It can be more about the the journey, mystery, adventure or whatever you're writing about.

Squama's Compadre

Leaf

I would just consider my storyline, plot, and what I want to happen from beginning, middle, and end in a basic paragraph form before I start adding things like protagonists and antagonists and character division. I find that it's a lot easier to start from the ground up like that.
There are a few things I generally like in protagonists. The first, and main one is that I think a protagonist should be an active participant in his or her story, things can happen that are beyond their control, but he or she shouldn't be completely passive and just let things happen.

Venus of Dreams is a classic example of what not to do. The protagonist, Iris, never really shows the slightest shred of initiative. For the first three hundred or so pages, she does absolutely nothing. Then she goes to a school and does even more nothing. Then she goes to Venus and does nothing, but still somehow manages to become a gigantic hypocrite in the process.

Compare this to Jack Skater, from Shadowrun: Preying for Keeps. When he gets blackmailed by a Mafioso, he comes up with an elaborate escape plan that involves high explosives, a lot of bluffing, and a magical giant squid. Sometimes things go according to plan, sometimes they don't, but when things go wrong for Jack, he doesn't lock himself in his room and angst, he goes on the offensive and actually does something.

A little humour never hurt, either. Your hero doesn't need to be a comedian, but a wisecrack here and a joke there can make an otherwise uninteresting exchange memorable.

Fashionable Genius

I have trouble creating personalities on the fly too. If I just write the story, all my characters can end up sounding the same. On the flip side, creating a fully fleshed character beforehand and shoving them into a plot makes the character seem stilted an out of place.

Best balance I've found is to keep a list of 3-4 adjectives for my main and recurring characters, and try to keep them in-character within these general parameters. Sometimes, I'll find a descriptor doesn't really fit, or something else will just work with scene, and I will update my character card.

For actual characteristics I like in a protagonist, I like characters who aren't perfect; they get in over their heads, they have breakdowns (but not whining, hate characters whining, so, so much), and set-backs, but get back on their feet.

Quotable Streaker

You don't have to focus on making your character likable; just make sure they're interesting and someone the readers can relate to on some level (which just means making them realistic, flaws and all). Likability will follow. Balance their strengths and weaknesses, good points and flaws, etc. Give them goals, dreams, and maybe an interesting quirk or two- but don't depend on those quirks. They need a life even if it's only briefly alluded to due to plot irrelevance, realistic reactions unless you want to show that there's something severely wrong with them (in which case other characters should note it to be unusual), and some initiative to actually get something done. Lazy and reluctant protagonists can still be pulled off, but know that you'll need more serious situations in order to force them to take action. If someone's a layabout then they aren't going to do something because it was asked of them or because they always dreamed of it. They'll do it because their life or freedom is in danger if they don't do it. They may do it in hopes of going back to doing nothing, without realizing that they won't be the same after. Which brings this to another point; they have to have changed by the end. This can be a positive growth, a moment of realization, or something else. This can be positive, negative, or a bit of both. For instance, a character may realize they had more inner strength than they thought they had (positive change), they may become corrupt beyond the point of return (negative), or they may gain maturity but be exposed to just how depraved people can be at times, therefore losing their naivete and possibly innocence (both). The last of those is the most common, but go for whatever sort you want as long as it's justified by the plot itself.

tl;dr: Don't focus on what traits people like. Focus on creating a well-rounded, realistic character who does something and makes some change over the story and you should be fine. Seriously though, you should read the whole thing. It may help more.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I prefer authors who don't ask questions like these. Even without finishing high school (or even entering it ) one can easily understand that are so many kinds of protagonists that narrowing them down is impossible.

Furthermore, how are we going to help? You already know there's no shortcut, so all we'd give you is a random bunch of unhelpful answers, tangents, and offerings of common sense. You'd get some specifics which won't answer HOW to make the character fit the story and broad comments that won't help you with character specifics.

My best advice is to not dwell on characters at all. Don't focus on protagonists, antagonists, men, women, children, teens, tweens, animals, internal conflicts, external conflicts, anything that can be labeled. If you're not good with them, don't think about them and build everything else and then see what kinds of characters fit in your plot, setting, mood, tone, etc.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Usually, I build up my protagonists as I write them. I don't always know who they are when I'm beginning to write a story -- I might have a name, appearance, and basic motivation, but most of the complex things kind of show up through time writing them. You don't have to know everything about them ... a lot of backstory may show up with time, but why they're showing up in your plot is pretty key.

A protagonist needs to be someone we are invested in -- they either need to be likable or really entertaining despite the fact that they're not a nice character. The first route is more common, but I've seen the second route done too. To take an example from a book, the vampire Lestat is an antihero -- he is the narrator of his own story, but he's not exactly a nice guy.

If making characters is not your forte, maybe you should start with your plot and see what sort of a character it calls for. Different stories are going to call for very different types of characters after all. The protagonist of a paranormal romance is probably not going to have a lot in common with one from a sci-fi war story.
Read more novels. Manga is a completely different media from standard novel writing (you'd be surprised at how much a manga, comic, or movie can get away with that novels can't just because they have images to keep the audience's attention). Reading novels will give you a better feel for the workings of a well-developed character (or a bad one). It will also help your writing skills and judgement to develop to (although you still have to practice a lot!). Not all readers are writers, but they say all good writers are readers.

You can also look up writing blogs for advice or get a book on writing fiction. Many people have different methods for creating settings, characters, and plots; you'll have to find what methods work for you.

But remember this: Character + conflict = plot.

Every character should have a goal, a motivation to obtain that goal, and obstacles that they react to. From there, you can build up their back story, their values and beliefs (cultural, religious, or otherwise), and personality. Goals, values, and motivations can all change but you should have them and the character should react believably to what happens around them depending on what kind of person you want to be. Otherwise the character will fail before you even start writing them.

Labels and stereotypes can be a basis of a character idea, but don't ever rely on them. To develop a character is to keep building on them and it's usually best done in conjunction with building the story and setting they take part in. And remember to develop all your characters, not just the protagonist.

What people like is and will always be subjective. You will have fans and haters and readers who just don't care no matter what kind of story, characters, and setting you decide to write. So you might as well write the type of characters that you would enjoy.

Dangerous Hunter

8,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
I_Write_Ivre
I prefer authors who don't ask questions like these. Even without finishing high school (or even entering it ) one can easily understand that are so many kinds of protagonists that narrowing them down is impossible.

Furthermore, how are we going to help? You already know there's no shortcut, so all we'd give you is a random bunch of unhelpful answers, tangents, and offerings of common sense. You'd get some specifics which won't answer HOW to make the character fit the story and broad comments that won't help you with character specifics.

My best advice is to not dwell on characters at all. Don't focus on protagonists, antagonists, men, women, children, teens, tweens, animals, internal conflicts, external conflicts, anything that can be labeled. If you're not good with them, don't think about them and build everything else and then see what kinds of characters fit in your plot, setting, mood, tone, etc.

haha, I'm getting some good advice here actually. I'm not really looking for any specifics for making a certain character because there's obviously tons of different characters, but I like taking a look at opinions from other people. I don't always agree with the answers, but it's interesting to see their opinions on this.

Thanks for the advice by the way.

Dangerous Hunter

8,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Kairi Nightingale
Read more novels. Manga is a completely different media from standard novel writing (you'd be surprised at how much a manga, comic, or movie can get away with that novels can't just because they have images to keep the audience's attention).

Yeah, I thought so. I always spend a lot of time reading manga and I find a lot of characters in manga are kind of two-dimensional. I probably lack a sense for character development because of this. This was something I really wanted to know so thanks for such a detailed answer.
1. Read more.

2. This is just something I noticed about protagonists, speaking for myself, in two novels that I read a little while back. They were both novels set in the same universe, but by different authors and with different protagonists. I enjoyed both of them, but I appreciated the protagonist in the one more than the other because she was a far more active protagonist. To the one, everything just happened to him, and it made him less compelling to read about. He rarely set out to do anything. The other, even though she made lots of mistakes, she at least went out and did stuff. And I liked that about her.

I could go on for quite a while about things I like in protagonists, but I'm kind of busy, so I'll leave it at that for now. Might come back later and post more.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff