Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Hunter

I was wondering since everyone here are writers, what are your favorite words? They don't necessary have to be words you use a lot...unless you do so because you like it that much. Maybe it's your favorite because it sounds good? Maybe you like writing/typing it? Or you love the meaning of it? Whatever it is, I ask because it's interesting to know and sometimes we learn something new. Heck, people could end up expanding their vocabulary to improve their writing and speech. Or maybe not?

Edit: List whatever your favorite words are. So if they're uncommon, rare, common, simple, complicated, not in English or whatever that's fine. Just be sure to put in a definition for those words that people might not be familar with. And remember to please be courteous of what you say or write. Ex: Refrain from using obscenities or vulgar language and anything that's against the forum rules.

I'll start off:

Chatoyant - Like a cat’s eye
Labyrinthine - Twisting and turning
Nemesis - An unconquerable archenemy.
Flummoxed - To confuse; perplex
Zephyr - A gentle breeze
Morbid - An abnormal and unhealthy interest in disturbing and unpleasant subjects
Creepy - An sensation of uneasiness or fear.

There's more but these are what I've been loving so much at the moment. 3nodding

Dapper Conversationalist

6,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
1. Kerfuffle - (Kurr-fuff-ull)Commotion or panic; loud noises.

2. Dysania - (Dis-say-nee-yuh) The state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning.

3. Sobriquet - (so-brik-kay) A descriptive name, a nickname.

4. Comity - (Caw-mit-tee) Friendly social atmosphere; social harmony.

5. Xenophobia - (zen-oh-fo-bee-yuh) Fear of foreigners.
Penumbra - The obscure area between light and dark where it is not wholly light nor dark.

Recidivist - Someone who repeatedly commits wrongdoings.

Cogent - Compelling.

Gravid - Pregnant/full of meaning or a specified quality.

Incondite - Badly created/crude.

Lonely Seeker

One of (if not the) my favorite words ever...

Epic.

adjective:

1. noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.
2. resembling or suggesting such poetry: an epic novel on the founding of the country.
3. heroic; majestic; impressively great: the epic events of the war.
4. of unusually great size or extent: a crime wave of epic proportions.

noun

5. an epic poem.
6. epic poetry.
7. any composition resembling an epic.
8. something worthy to form the subject of an epic: The defense of the Alamo is an American epic.
9. ( initial capital letter ) Also called Old Ionic. the Greek dialect represented in the Iliad and the Odyssey, apparently Aeolic modified by Ionic

-Source- Dictionary.com

Fanatical Lunatic

9,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
shenanigans
noun Informal .
1. Usually, shenanigans.
a. mischief; prankishness: Halloween shenanigans.
b. deceit; trickery.
2. a mischievous or deceitful trick, practice, etc.
They don't need to be uncommon words? Some of my favorite words are simple.

Bamf: A sound made by a person or object teleporting in or out of the hearer's vicinity.
Wanderlust: A very strong or irresistible impulse to travel.
Chaos: A state of utter confusion or disorder; a total lack of organization or order.
Renegade: 1) A deserter from one faith, cause, or allegiance to another. 2) An individual who rejects lawful or conventional behavior.
Swagger: 1) To walk or conduct oneself with an insolent or arrogant air; strut. 2) To brag; boast.
Fiend: 1) A person of great wickedness or maliciousness. 2) A person extremely devoted to a pursuit or study.
Wrath: A strong vengeful anger or indignation.
Softly: 1) In a manner that is pleasing to the senses. 2) With little weight or force.
Nightmare: 1) A terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness, extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc. 2) An event or experience that is intensely distressing. 3) A demon or spirit once thought to plague sleeping people.
Aura: 1) An invisible breath, emanation, or radiation. 2) A distinctive but intangible quality that seems to surround a person or thing; atmosphere. 3) Pathology A sensation, as of a cold breeze or a bright light, that precedes the onset of certain disorders, such as an epileptic seizure or an attack of migraine.

5,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
omphaloskepsis
In the most literal sense, it means looking at one's belly button. Also means contemplating your belly button or contemplating center-ness.

Weltschmerz
"The world is so bad it hurts" - basically, angsting about the state of the world, the human condition, etc.

Questionable Streaker

Haphazard[ly] - Lacking any obvious principle of organization. ((To be careless and sloppy, in my books))
Sporadic - Occurring at irregular intervals or only in a few places; scattered or isolated. ((I like it because it sounds like someone is spirally))
Indulge - 1. Allow oneself to enjoy the pleasure of: "we indulged in sundaes".
2. Become involved in (an activity, typically one that is undesirable or disapproved of): "indulge in gossip".
Facetious - Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant. ((I've been using it as a synonym for awkward "/. I taught this to my 7 year-old brother and he thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread))

Questionable Codger

8,600 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Hyperactive Cat

2. Dysania - (Dis-say-nee-yuh) The state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning.

I had no idea there was a word for this! This is epic and I shall now be using this...a lot.

Thanks smile

Timid Hunter

Toxic Bunny Love
They don't need to be uncommon words? Some of my favorite words are simple.

Your favorite words are your favorite words. biggrin So it doesn't matter if they are common, umcommon, fancy, strange, unknown or whatnot. You can list them all down and there's no limit to how many you post either.

Lethonomia - The inability to recall the names of people.
Nudiustertian - The day before yesterday.
Alexithymia - The inability to describe emotions in a verbal manner.
Annihilate - To destroy completely; to reduce to nonexistence; to defeat decisively; vanquish. To nullify or render void; abolish.
Autodidact - A self-taught person.
Betwixt - Between
Crepuscule - Twilight; Dusk

Sparkly Genius

7,800 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
WALRUS;; AN ANIMAL.

Sparkly Genius

7,800 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
MidnightShinigami89
shenanigans
noun Informal .
1. Usually, shenanigans.
a. mischief; prankishness: Halloween shenanigans.
b. deceit; trickery.
2. a mischievous or deceitful trick, practice, etc.

'scuse mehs. Whats daht movie dhere in ur siggy o3o ;D
DamnBlackHeart
Your favorite words are your favorite words. biggrin So it doesn't matter if they are common, umcommon, fancy, strange, unknown or whatnot. You can list them all down and there's no limit to how many you post either.

Okay. heart I like these words because they sound cool and have interesting meanings.

Boob: 1) A stupid person; fool; dunce. 2) British. a blunder; mistake.
Lollop: To proceed with a bounding or bobbing motion.
Bamboozle: 1) To deceive by underhanded methods; dupe, hoodwink.2) To confuse, frustrate, or throw off thoroughly or completely.
Hoodwink: Same meaning as bamboozle.
Incognito: With one's identity disguised or concealed.
Nebulous: 1) Cloudy, misty, or hazy. 2) Lacking definite form or limits; vague.
Nefarious: Infamous by way of being extremely wicked.
Pilgarlic: 1) A bald-headed man. 2) A man looked upon with humorous contempt or mock pity.
Susurrus: A soft, whispering or rustling sound; a murmur.
O.o I'm thoroughly surprised at the words that apparently exist that you guys know of. I have nothing to contribute but.... *Subscribe*

Tipsy Streaker

Malarkey: Ridiculous! (I scream it out sometimes)
Splendiferous: Informal way of saying splendid
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia: Fear of long words.
Flamboyant: Tending to attract attention because of their exuberance, confidence, and stylishness.
Pansexual: Not limited or inhibited in sexual choice with regard to gender or activity

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games