Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Overdone?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 2, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11 >

Quote:
I gotta say, I never got the idea that vampires were supposed to be sexy. I mean, they look like dead people. OK sure, I get the whole sucking blood/oral sex comparisons and such and climbing through the windows of rich aristocrats to have sex and steal their blood and such, but come on.

Dead people.

*Runs up, sticks a pin reading 'AWESOME' onto Heidi no Lux's jacket, and runs off.*
Quote:
I maintain that they're certainly not rare, but not overdone. Overdone implies that the market is saturated and that there is no room for new works. At least, that's the way it seems to me. I've been writing them for six years, I'm sticking to them, thankyou very much.

That's a good point. My definition of overdone is more like there could be a whole section of a library devoted to them and if you look at any original fiction posting site online, you'll find many.

Quote:
Same. Some authors just play off the dark, angsty, immortal bit and don't really put much more work into it other than that, or concentrate on couples and Rice-style plots. If you move away from that though, I think you can manage quite a bit of character development and some very interesting vampires and consequently stories. Vampires are ex-humans. How far they've distanced themselves from humans is a combination of age and personality and it makes for some very interesting metamorphoses of character.

Well put. I'm of the opinion that people go by a one-fits-all mentality with almost all of the vampiric characters... There are different quirks, yes, but they seem to all have the same opinions of humans and human society. (I'm speaking in terms of a single author's characters having the same mentality, not vampiric characters as a whole.) I try to keep mine following a bit of a humanistic pattern. (Psychology isn't my strong point though, so eh...)

Quote:
Louis is of French origin, I believe, as is Armand's Theatre, and Lestat, of course. Armand is from Russia, I believe, and Marius and the rest I doubt are French. I have a French vampire, however, he came to the colonies at the age of two about 250 years ago so he hardly speaks with an accent. I'll admit to having read the books and owning them, and in the same breath I'll very proudly assert that my stories are nothing like hers.

Ah, thank you. I kinda figured that they couldn't all be French, but you never know. :3 (Also, I wasn't trying to say that Anne Rice's books are bad, if you thought that. I had this discussion with a friend once and she thought I was dissing on Anne Rice. Didn't mean to sweatdrop )

Quote:
I think half the challenge of writing a good vampire book that's set in the modern world is making things realistic. I've spent six years working on one series, one world and new things come to light all of the time. New factions and smaller groups working together to keep the warring factions of the vampires and slayer's war out of public view. Figuring out where vampires make their money from and how they gather information and what codes of honor are in place .. I sat down yesterday with my best friend and co-author to write out the universal rules on vampire conduct. About half of them have been ditched since the slayers turned on the vampires but nonetheless they frame where things come from and are a level of complexity I never would have pictured when I first started writing.

I think anything that can require that much thought and layers upon layers of complexity added over years to make something more realistic can hardly be considered overdone. Overdone things are easy to write because they have a set pattern that you can follow without thinking overmuch. In my opinion, anyways. Carbon copies of the same old plotline are overdone. Vampires as a whole is still a genrae I believe has plenty of room for expansion. My aim is to attempt to redeem it, at least a little by proving that point. Whether I succeed or not I'm not certain but surely someone else will if I fail.

Very nice. Six years on a story... I applaude you for your stick-to-it-ive-ness. v_v I get distracted easily. I'm sure with that much thought behind it, yours are probably original and interesting characters. ^^ And the redeemption of the vampire genre is a wonderful thought for all of us vampire writers :3

There are some good vampire stories out there. Most unpublished ones XD My recent ones probably don't count as vampire stories (not in the traditional sense) since vampire is treated like any other adjective, like brunette or blue eyed... It's only mentioned in passing. (Made my old beta reader mad X3) But hopefully vampiric literature will make a come back, or at least develope another stereotype or two XD
Quote:
Quote:
I gotta say, I never got the idea that vampires were supposed to be sexy. I mean, they look like dead people. OK sure, I get the whole sucking blood/oral sex comparisons and such and climbing through the windows of rich aristocrats to have sex and steal their blood and such, but come on.

Dead people.

*Runs up, sticks a pin reading 'AWESOME' onto Heidi no Lux's jacket, and runs off.*

Way-hey! Now I got something to stick next to my "Yes, I am a model." badge.
Quote:
Quote:
I love vampires I think they should keep em coming. I can't wait for Underworld 2 thats gonna be awesome and Blade trinity was great too so I love Vampires period (dazes in space I wish I was one or at least a half breed)

Blade Trinity ... *Twitch.*
Eh, I'll refrain from starting an argument about it, but needless to say; I didn't enjoy it in the slightest.
You want to be a vampire, huh? You want to be a walking corpse, or a person carrying an infectious blood disease? Well, have your fun. whee

I have a few vampires in my novels, as one of my main characters grew up in a vampire hunting clan. They aren't by any means the main focus, though I do avoid the stereotypes and common cliches that are attributed to them, even if they aren't such important characters.
My biggest issue with most vampires is their apparant obsession with sex. Most vampires are portrayed as very sexual beings. Even Bram Stoker's book, though by no means graphic, had that slight edgy feel to it.
Never read Anne Rice's books, nor do I intend to, but I hear her vampires are portrayed as such.
The way I figure it ... they're vampires, not incubi or succubi. They need blood; not sex. It just irritates me, as most vampire novels take that turn. (I'm not saying sex in vampire novels is an entirely bad thing or whatever, just it's usually over-done and takes away from the story.)

I'm not a big vampire fan, so I wouldn't nessecarily think of buying a vampire book, anyway. They're usually too angsty, for me. xd

So, to sum up my mindless dribble: Yes, vampires are over-done. But like anything and everything in this world that's over-done (which is ... everything), it can be done originally and differently, making it seem new and fresh.
Depends on the author.

[edit] Terradi said what I meant to say, but better. o_o

Hmm... I havn't really noticed an obsession with sex, but the case is the same with humans, isn't it!?

People almost always seem obsessed with sex! Even I, who a few years ago may have blushed at the word p***s, have become obsessed with it, and it is a fairly large piece of my story.
Quote:
Quote:

Dead people.

Well, we all know that necrophilia is sexy, after all.

...okay, getting serious here. Vampires. Dead people. Disgusting.

Sex appeal = less than zero.
Quote:

Dead people.

o.o I would understand completly if you were speaking of zombies, sorta... but vampires really don't look dead half of the time. In fact, many can pass fairly well as human.

3,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Citizen 200
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I've seen so many vampire books and stories that I shy away from anything with one as the main character. Most of them, I find, don't have the vampires really well thought out. Not a lot of people bother thinking logically about things.

For example... if a person gets a transfusion from the wrong bloodtype, it can kill them. Sometimes women who are pregnant with babies with bloodtypes different from their own create antibodies to kill it.

Sooo... if vampires were once people, for example, would they only be able to drink from people with their blood type, or blood type O? Do they no longer have any of their own blood? If the former is the true, shouldn't the vampires with the universal donor bloodtype be the most powerful?

And if vampires are dead, why do they not rot? Wouldn't there be some sort of smell, or does the blood them imbibe keep them from decomposing?

Do the religious symbols work because they're 'holy', or because the person weilding one has faith?

*Shrugs.* I would like to seem a bit more thought process going into stories like these, is all.

Hmmm... Indeed. I have created a few veiws on vampires myself, though I never really thought of their intake of blood... Maybe I really should add something to that effect to my own stories.

As to them being dead, in my stories, they really arn't. They just have a strange type of blood spirelling in their veins that keep their body from ageing, therefore, making them seem immortal.

As for the holy items, I've never understood that, and it is considered to be a myth in my stories.

Hmm... I would like to thank you for bringing this to attention for me, I shall definatly put some more thought to it. surprised

Having a very very vampire loving friend, I know what they are and I can correctly tell you that they are dead beings that suck life energies to live. In asia there are th psycic chi-vampires, but the romanians invented the vampires you are talking about. Foxes- Kitsune, are alos considered vampires by those wh oresearch into it. Now, becuase I know these things from an expert, it is only if you have faith- that ios the official gypsy explanation. Stoker's dracula had some sex, yes, but thats not why it's in theri: he only used that as a lure for blood. They do rot- they are corpses raised from the dead, more akin to zombies than anything else. That's of course if you believe in them. If not, I'm talking bunk.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dead people.

Well, we all know that necrophilia is sexy, after all.

...okay, getting serious here. Vampires. Dead people. Disgusting.

Sex appeal = less than zero.

XD I find necrophilia highley sexy myself, which probably lures me even further into vampires X3
Quote:
Quote:

Dead people.

o.o I would understand completly if you were speaking of zombies, sorta... but vampires really don't look dead half of the time. In fact, many can pass fairly well as human.

It's the stylization of death. The pale skin, the long fingernails, the eyes. Basically, any look even approaching death should, by all rights, be something of a turn off.

Though erotic zombie lit would be out of this world coolness.

3,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Citizen 200
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dead people.

It's the stylization of death. The pale skin, the long fingernails, the eyes. Basically, any look even approaching death should, by all rights, be something of a turn off.

Don't you think that's what 'The Vampire' is. About Lord Byron.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dead people.

-scribbles that idea down-
i just wrote a vampire novel, now i'm branching out to something else. variety is good!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dead people.

X3 Anything approaching death, as long as it's not some old dude, is highly sexy to people like me.

o.o except snot bubbles out of ones nose. That's gross.
Quote:
Quote:

Don't you think that's what 'The Vampire' is. About Lord Byron.

Nah, erotic zombie lit would be all these zombies brainlessly going around and getting it on, and you know, losing limbs and such in the process and whatever.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Quote:

Dead people.
I stick with the idea that becoming immortal means that minor flaws and imperfections in their faces are wiped away, making them more attractive, though not drop-dead gorgeous. Mine can and frequently do pass themselves off as humans.

Then again, I treat vampirism as something like a virus that alters the DNA of the afflicted. They are still very much in possession of possibly working organs, and they do not decay, they're just .. different. Drastically so. It's never stated but I have most of the technicalities worked out, including the history, side effects and origin. 'Cept for the wood doing the trick bit. Though I'm tempted to just pass that off as an allergy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff