Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Best Vampire Books.

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on September 10, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3

I'm sure that some of you here have read Anne Rice... give me your honest oppinion of her work if you will ^_^

My Oppinion, I think in some of her earlier works she put a lot more effort into creating a character that you can either love or hate. Her characters had superhuman powers which made them far different from human. But, their feelings and emotions (Such as Louis) kept them closely related to them as well.

As for her newer works, I can't say that I enjoyed them very much... her idea of Lestat seems to have changed alot and change sometimes is a bad thing.

What do you think?
I enjoy the vampire stories by Anne Rice, but that's just me...It doesn't matter what the vampire is fighting or anything as long as its well written and not so terribly cliched
One minute you love the Lestat, the next, you hate him. I guess it all depends on the perspective of each character and what they think of Lestat. They can make him seem like a real biotch and then they can make him just a vampire trying to make a difference...which is kinda weird...
I tend to like vampire stories, but its hard to find good ones. Hell, I'll even enjoy the occational romance story, but once again, its hard to find good ones. sweatdrop
I love vampire books and movies. Underworld, the movie, I liked, even with the Cliched Vamp v. Lycan.

I adore books from Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. I suggest you all go out and get Midnight Predator.
Ebalicious
How about this, all of them are overrated and over used? The very fact that this "vamtai" word exists definitely proves my point. stare

OOOOOOO. Eba speaks harsh truths.
Um, you didn't put an "Other" or "None of the above" option. I'll chime in with the others and say that they're all over used.
Vampires always rock man, no matter how many books of myth or mythos I find I just keep on reading, everyone has a different perspective, and a well written book will knock your socks off, even if it is cliche or overused.
Teh Jeicen
Emerald_Bluesummers
Teh Jeicen
Emerald_Bluesummers
Tigre_Katze
Magnus Cthulhu
Personally, I like:

Vampires vs. A Good Plotline, with interesting Characters, and an attempt at not being cliche.

because you said that.. i'm going to go and write one...

Already writing one...

"Blood war"

Set up: The Vampire king wants to kill all of Vampires and start anew, in the year 3050... he kills a large group, and tell everyone that "he is tired fo hiding in the Shadows. The Vampires will now jion me in ruling the Races of this earth, or see limbo first hand."

the Hero: Over-smart and retired Assassin, Ramano Kin Doe, the first Pureblood vampire ever.... He s Caine for his Sisters and his mother just for not jioning them.. so he plans his revegene, and Falls apon a plot with others to kill Caine once and for all...

only 2 problems in his way...

1. The Crowned vampire Prince Adrain, that's his father...

2. The Fact that Caine and Adrain have his daughter.

Sounds like a really shitty of the Legacy of Kain video game series. Go home. xp

And they Call ME a Troll..

I'm just telling you it's been done before, honey. And better. blaugh

Understood... Back to the drawing board i go.

What i've noticed is that MIXED Vampire books, (Vampire Vs Vampire & love story involved) Normaly turns out better then normal Vampire Vs. Vampire or Vampire love stories.. The more Chaos and Confliction involved with the Vampire Char in normaly good.... But.... People have a way of over doing it... Horrably.

"The Southren Vampire Series." is the best i've seen so far...

Dead til Dawn
Living Dead in Dallas
Club Dead
and Dead to the world.

The Titles SEEM stupid, Hense why it took me until the 3rd book was out to get it, but my grandmother bought it for me, i feel in love with it, ran with it, and i never looked back. Look it up, it's great.
Seijaku_Ishida
Vampires at a whole tend to be overdone...(like I'm one to talk, I have a vampire webcomic).

One thing that annoys me most would have to be the Vampires vs. Werewolves.

NO s**t, that stuff gets on my last damn nerve. You guys should check out Poppy Z. Brite. She is an excellent writer and is way better than Anne Rice. Anne Rice sucks.

9,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
*cracks knuckles* I was probably one of the more obsessed people out there when it comes to vampire books a few years back. I've read some real winners and a lot more real zoners and spent a lot of time looking up the folklore and legends that vampires come from, though there is not a lot out there that hasn't been tainted by Hollywood and Anne Rice visions of what a vampire should be (at least in the Westren Hemisphere). So, I like to consider myself sort of an authority in this matter, even if a lot of people won't agree.

Now, the thing about vampire fiction is similiar to the thing with fanfiction and the thing with web-published original works. You have to crawl through a hell of a lot of slush to actually find some good vampire fiction. It doesn't matter what the story is about, hell it can have a vampire sitting in the corner drooling and talking to himself, so long as the characters is good. Anne Rice was good when Interview came out, slightly good with The Vampire Lestat then horrid for the rest of the series because at first she had some interesting characters. Dracula is interesting because of all the different characters and tention. However, because people are just trying to cash in on an idea, there is a lot of slush out there that does not even try to develop anything but the angst and posing of their tragic heroes and sulking villians.

Which is why I still applaude the interesting short fiction about Bob the Vampire. There should be more vampires like him, more than the perfect angsting hero who is beautiful and loving but is so tragically a vampire.
i dont like ann rice books anymore. she makes her vampires gay. i wanna actually read a good vampire book that isnt in first person and i want them to be....badass.
I couldn't say, I've only read Dracula.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces