Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Typing vs Handwriting

Typing 0.66923076923077 66.9% [ 87 ]
Handwriting 0.33076923076923 33.1% [ 43 ]
Total Votes:[ 130 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

This is just something I've always wondered. Everyone has their preferences and I wanted to hear why and which one was more common. Personally I've found that I have trouble going back and reading what I've written on the computer so I hand write at least the first draft of everything.
Poetry I write on paper.
All else I type.
I edit all on hardcopy.

The change of medium is extremely helpful to me. It slows me down and gives me a gap between the time I make notes and the time I enact the notes on the digital copy.

Anxious Citizen

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
My handwritting is illegible but I like calligraphy so... both?

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I consider my handwriting to be on par with that of a well-trained monkey and my hand cramps up from handwriting.

I love typing, have no idea why and am considering looking for a daily exercise site to learn to type faster.

Fashionable Gaian

I do both but mostly typing
Taking notes I write in notebooks but for actually writing the story: Typing.

I can go back and edit things and not have to rewrite a chapter over again just because I wanted to change something. Whether it be major or minor.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
I bounce back and forth between the two for drafting. Editing and finalizing is always on the computer. But being able to draft anywhere and everywhere is a lovely thing. For that reason, being able and willing to use a notebook and pen is something I've always valued.

Timid Raider

I handwrite extremely slowly. It takes me 20x as long to handwrite something as it does to type it. It's just too inefficient.
Both.

I like to hand write short stories and poetry in composition books because I'll most likely never publish them, so having them in a book of some sort makes me feel better about it. It also seems like I wrote more than I actually did. A little petty, but it makes me feel like I did better than I might have done in reality..

Large projects I do on the computer. I've tried doing them by hand before, and it is a pain in the a**. Imagine trying to find something that is somewhere in four different composition books. On the computer I can just do a search and find what I was looking for. Much easier. Word count is also easier to get, which can be important if something needs to be a certain amount.

Editing is a bit of a combo. Sometimes I print out my work and go over it by hand. It allows me to write notes as well as edit while leaving what was originally there intact. Other times, I edit on the computer, however writing notes to myself in the margins isn't possible, so I either open a new document or write such notes down by hand and refer to them if/when I need to. What I do depends heavily on what I'm working on.
I like typing because I'm very fast at it and have a hard time keeping up with the ideas I get while writing on paper. However, sometimes when I have writers block or just a bad writing day, slowing down and brainstorming or otherwise working out stuff in a notebook is a nice change of pace. However, I feel it's a pain transcribing my handwritten work on the computer so I almost always type up story drafts unless I'm away from a computer and desperate.

If editing, I would prefer to print out a hard copy and use a red pen but with the price of ink these days, the amount of schoolwork I already have to use it for, and the fact that I always write novels, I just find it more practical to just keep my stuff in digital form. At least for now.
Kairi Nightingale
If editing, I would prefer to print out a hard copy and use a red pen but with the price of ink these days, the amount of schoolwork I already have to use it for, and the fact that I always write novels, I just find it more practical to just keep my stuff in digital form. At least for now.

Take a look at a laser printer. The price has really dropped for them. Brother sells a few for under $100. Most of those have a trick you can do with tape to get a few extra hundred prints out of each toner, and the toner is only $40 on amazon for the high capacity one. It's what I use for all my printing needs. It is black and white though. If I need color, I just go somewhere.

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
I type. My handwriting gets illegible after a couple of pages and I can't jot down my thoughts fast enough. Though I liked printing out what I write and reading it from there. :3

Dangerous Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
I prefer to handwrite because I get a greater flow with my words. Purely psychological, I know, but my work is generally better if I wrote the first few drafts. The only things I type up are short stories and occasionally poetry.
Handwriting is preferable for me, but I don't do it. I only ever do when I'm rewriting and editing certain scenes from a printed draft. It's much slower to handwrite a novel and there's nothing keeping check of word count.

But creativity-wise, handwriting gives more leverage in being creative, as you're not on a computer screen all day with active distractions (honest truth, we all get distracted now and then because some ding! went off on our computer), and its more likely that you'll think about what you're writing while actually handwriting it out instead of throttling out a speed contest on your keyboard. My opinion of course.

Quotable Explorer

2,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I prefer to write things out by hand only because otherwise I spend all of my time going over every detail of what I've already written instead of actually writing when I use the computer. The temptation is just too great when I can move around and change things with ease instead of completing a draft. I prefer to type when I edit for the same reason though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff