Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've lost motivation to write. Being busy with school,stressed with school, things at home, plus other art stuff I do, I've just stopped writing. It also doesn't help that I'm a procrastinator. I really want to get myself back into the habit of writing on a regular basis. I thought I would ask some other writers for advice, any tips or anything I could do to get into the habit?

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Have you tried this?
I_Write_Ivre
Have you tried this?

I love you XD

Shadowy Regular

Depends on how you prefer to motivate / what works best for you. Making goals or turning it into something fun (like a game) are generally good incentives.

Think about what / why you want to write. Do you have stories you want to have told, maybe related to your art projects? Do you want to get published someday? Maybe you see it as something to do on a personal quest of self-fulfillment or improvement. I don't know these things, but you should be able to figure these details out.

I personally am a word-count motivatee. At the beginning of the year, I set a goal for how much I'd like to have written; the past two years I've done between 20,000 and 25,000 words because I know I'm going to be busy. Last year I got to 32,909 words. (Makes one feel pretty badass.) This year I'm shooting for 25k again; I keep tabs on my writing in a spreadsheet, tallying in my total words for the day and doing fun things like monthly breakdowns, and so on. I've also set another number goal; to write a ridiculous number of haiku poems. I have a set number in mind, and I keep track of my progress, even having a cell dedicated to percent completion of my goal.

I set long-term goals with numerical values, because I love seeing the numbers go up as I track my progress. Other people may use individual projects to base their goals on; for example, writing and finishing one first draft of a short story per month or other unit of time. Write a novel in a month. Finish two novellas before the end of the year. That sort of thing. If you have specific projects you want to complete, taking definite steps toward that goal should help motivate you.

Some people like having a carrot. For every goal (big ones and small ones!) you should reward yourself in some satisfying way. Could be anything from a tasty treat (in moderation, of course,) or taking time for a bubble bath or getting a massage or using a carrot-fund to see a movie that week. Anything you want to do, you can use to inspire work for the sake of the reward.

If you really want to get back into writing with any regularity, think about how to get yourself to write often. People who like numbers may have a minimum word-count for the day; something small like a few hundred. (Easy to do, and seeing all those words helps you realize you can actually write if you put your mind to it.) Maybe do a scene from a story every day, or three times a week. Write a drabble before bed every night. Keep a journal. Do anything to ease yourself back into the habit of writing a few times a week at the least.

What works for one person might not work for another, so experiment a little, and see what motivates you the best. And remember, even if you do have a busy life, make time for writing and actually sit down to do it. I'll be working terrible hours for the next six or more months, but I still intend to write two thousand haiku by the end of the year, and make it past 25k words again, because I know I can, and because it's fun!

Good luck. 3nodding

Shy Fatcat

(っ◕‿◕)っ ♥ ----------

I was very much like you. Between school, friends, internet and life in general, I struggled to maintain regular writing habits.

What I've been doing the past few weeks, despite not particularly feeling like it, I've forced myself to write at least 2000 words a day. It doesn't have to be a story or anything in particular, but as long as I reach that 2000 words, I am satisfied.

---------- (╥﹏╥)

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Pikachu has Fainted
I_Write_Ivre
Have you tried this?

I love you XD

Yay?
Masturbate a lot and eat a s**t ton of corn dogs.

Shirtless Sex Symbol

H3llo Kitt3n
I've lost motivation to write. Being busy with school,stressed with school, things at home, plus other art stuff I do, I've just stopped writing. It also doesn't help that I'm a procrastinator. I really want to get myself back into the habit of writing on a regular basis. I thought I would ask some other writers for advice, any tips or anything I could do to get into the habit?

What I am currently working on is a 365 day writing challenge. I am writing something new everyday based on a prompt that has been previously decided. It is my way of getting back into writing.
My writing blog You can check out my blog to see what I am talking about. Maybe my blog can inspire you to start a similar project.
If you want advise to start a blog like this or a project like this let me know.

Anxious Informer

Just start writing. Its what I did. 3nodding

4,000 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
You could always take a break. It's good to clear your mind a bit once in a while.

You could try hot writing too. Just ask a friend for something. A topic, a phrase, or just ask them to name a few things and write about that. Then it becomes a bit of a fun social thing too.
Chuck Wendig is a wonderful motivator.

These are my attempts at daily writing:
http://foxstone.wordpress.com/

Chuck's website is good motivation, and his books about writing are quite hilarious and give you a nice kick in the a** to work on stuff.

Good luck!

^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas