Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi everyone!Never posted in here before,just found this place and I thought it sounded wonderful.To be quite honest I have been suffering from writers block for years.I have quit writing but I really want to get back into it.I write poetry and lyrics,never got into stories much I tried those but realized my talent was the other two things.I am off to start a new writing adventure so wish me luck and if I can help out anybody else I would be happy to!
Anyone ever heard of Demand Studios?
I Solemnly Swear

I wrote today guys, for the first time in a year and wow was I surprised at how matured my writing had gotten it actually excited me.

That I Am Up To No Good

Bro

You know, I think right now, I just need motivation. Or a swift kick in the rear. Motivation and inspiration should go hand in hand, like a value pack at Walmart.

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Okay here's the thing, I've been working on this story in my mind for the past seven years and I think I'm about ready to sit down and write it out, but I'm stuck on a few things
So I was hoping that some individuals might be willing to help me work out some of the details
Here's the first part

there's this sixteen year-old girl called Rose Friday who finds this device (which she decides to name the shifter) that can take her to parallel universes
now here's the sticking point, I'm not exactly sure how I want her to find it
here's a few of the ideas I came up with

She's going to the library when it just blasts from the sky in front of her
She's just broken up with a friend and accidently drives/bikes into a ditch where she finds it
She's shopping at a yard sale and finds in in this old dresser/hope chest

and for that matter, which universe should I put her in first?

The Fairy Universe where all the elves and goblins are?
The Steampunk Universe?
Or the Medieval Universe, where society is still in the dark ages?

And also, what should be her reaction sequence upon finding that she's been put in another universe and can't get back to her own?

slightly confused followed by excited, followed by dismayed?
excited followed by dismayed, followed by denial?
or worried, followed by sad, followed by hopeful?
Ophelianime
Okay here's the thing, I've been working on this story in my mind for the past seven years and I think I'm about ready to sit down and write it out, but I'm stuck on a few things
So I was hoping that some individuals might be willing to help me work out some of the details
Here's the first part

there's this sixteen year-old girl called Rose Friday who finds this device (which she decides to name the shifter) that can take her to parallel universes

She's just broken up with a friend and accidently drives/bikes into a ditch where she finds it

The Steampunk Universe?

And also, what should be her reaction sequence upon finding that she's been put in another universe and can't get back to her own?

I have also worked on a parallel universe story. They are definitely not the easiest pieces to write. Okay, some questions to answer for yourself (and me):

1) Where did this device come from? Who made it? Why was it made? Answers here could help develop a backstory for the device itself, giving you an idea of where might be a logical place for it to be found.

2) What kind of girl is Rose? What makes her a good candidate for this device? Can anyone use the device, if so, why has not one else discovered it? Her reaction to receiving the device will be in line with what kind of person she is. Is she overly anxious, and upon discovery that she is in a different universe, panicky? Afraid? Or is she brave, and already saving someone's life before she has time to contemplate the fact that she's so far from home?

3) Is the goal to find a way home? If not, then why doesn't she want to go home? If she does want to go home, is it because the other universe is scary? Overwhelming?

Answer these questions--not that they are easy to answer, and you might well be on your way. Hope this helps!

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Spaz666
Ophelianime
Here's the first part

The Steampunk Universe?

I have also worked on a parallel universe story. They are definitely not the easiest pieces to write. Okay, some questions to answer for yourself (and me):

1) Where did this device come from? Who made it? Why was it made? Answers here could help develop a backstory for the device itself, giving you an idea of where might be a logical place for it to be found.

2) What kind of girl is Rose? What makes her a good candidate for this device? Can anyone use the device, if so, why has not one else discovered it? Her reaction to receiving the device will be in line with what kind of person she is. Is she overly anxious, and upon discovery that she is in a different universe, panicky? Afraid? Or is she brave, and already saving someone's life before she has time to contemplate the fact that she's so far from home?

3) Is the goal to find a way home? If not, then why doesn't she want to go home? If she does want to go home, is it because the other universe is scary? Overwhelming?

Answer these questions--not that they are easy to answer, and you might well be on your way. Hope this helps!

it does, thank you

Peaceful Lunatic

pixelbabe_17_17
Okay so I have the basics down for a story I am going to start to write. It is about this girl who moves into her new foster home and she is abused. She goes to school meets a guy (Alex) and they become friends. He then meets another guy (logan) who is a vampire but she doesn't know it. Blah blah blah soon she ha to choose between them. Yadda yadda. But I am having a hard time coming up with a good plot! Any ideas??

How is that not a plot? You have the characters and you have an obstacle (choosing between two guys, two if you count the foster home abuse); there would be a clear beginning, middle, and end to it. Anyhow, I find that it helps to write down the idea, and then ask questions of every single detail. Interrogate all the characters, find their motivations and desires, investigate the setting. That should help get things going.

The thing I'd worry about that plot idea is that it would be easy to make angsty and 'why is my life so horrible?', which isn't always interesting.

Bro

Alright so, I've got a great idea for a book. It's got a good hook and everything. I'm really hoping to knock out a huge chunk of it during NaNoWriMo, but I have no idea how to start it.

Usually I just start writing scenes and string them together.
But I'm not sure which scene to jump into first.
There's emotional ties to the story, and I've got to get
them out on paper.

I'm completely content with not starting out writing the
beginning. I just need to get something out.

Any tips?

wahmbulance

Peaceful Lunatic

To Aubergine Amphetamine: Well you don't have to start from the beginning. If it's a first draft, you can skip all over the place to write what's on your mind now. Of course, if you want to save it for Nano, you can always start brainstorming, making outlines and such. Write down all the background stuff so you can just run with it later on.

I'm already working on my NaNo project too!

Fashionable Explorer

7,400 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
thanks to this thread, I have discovered ways to overcome writer's block.
I am now determined to begin writing and become a published author.
biggrin
Alright, my main problem is trying to figure out how to start a story. Like, I have a clear idea in my head, sometimes all the way up until the end of the story, but I always have absolutely NO IDEA how to start it. It's very frustrating o.O

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff