Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unbeatable Friend

6,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Bunny Hunter 100
I'm 120 pages into a story and the next plot point is a guy making a move on the person he likes, but I'm stuck as to how to write it down. XD I'm going to do what I call my writer's therapy, though.

Here are the steps I take to help myself - it has never failed! biggrin

1. Wait until sunset and look at the sky for a few minutes, breathe in the air, and let it chill/warm you.

2. Go indoors, shut the door.

3. Light some candles - I like tealights the best. Maybe if you have a glass shade for them, put it over them to cast colours.

4. Go on Youtube and play nature sounds - waves crashing, rainfall, rainforest, crickets chirping, etc. Maybe put in earphones or headphones to drown out background noise.

5. Open a reed diffuser or spray a little air freshener just above where you will be sat (but, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T SPRAY IT TOO CLOSE TO THE CANDLES.)

6. Take in the atmosphere, and sit down and write. If you use a laptop or desktop, that should be fine. But if you use pen and paper, you'll need a small lamp nearby to work with.

The atmosphere calms me and unclouds my mind so that I can think. Remember to take breaks to eat or rest your eyes.

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
I have this idea for a short story where a young woman in her twenties marries a rich man in his seventies
I've got it all pretty much thought out, but there are a few details I want to iron out

For the old man, I'm wondering if I should make him a bachelor, but I'm wondering if it would be hard to believe that someone could live so long without getting married
I was also thinking that I could make him divorced without children
but it might be better if he did have children
what do you think?

As for the young lady, I'm wondering how innocent I should make her
I could make her just a poor romantic in need of money
or I could make her a party girl with a hidden soft side
or I could try and combine the two options somehow
what do you think?

1,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
The ReTARDISed Whovian
I'm 120 pages into a story and the next plot point is a guy making a move on the person he likes, but I'm stuck as to how to write it down. XD I'm going to do what I call my writer's therapy, though.

Here are the steps I take to help myself - it has never failed! biggrin

1. Wait until sunset and look at the sky for a few minutes, breathe in the air, and let it chill/warm you.

2. Go indoors, shut the door.

3. Light some candles - I like tealights the best. Maybe if you have a glass shade for them, put it over them to cast colours.

4. Go on Youtube and play nature sounds - waves crashing, rainfall, rainforest, crickets chirping, etc. Maybe put in earphones or headphones to drown out background noise.

5. Open a reed diffuser or spray a little air freshener just above where you will be sat (but, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T SPRAY IT TOO CLOSE TO THE CANDLES.)

6. Take in the atmosphere, and sit down and write. If you use a laptop or desktop, that should be fine. But if you use pen and paper, you'll need a small lamp nearby to work with.

The atmosphere calms me and unclouds my mind so that I can think. Remember to take breaks to eat or rest your eyes.

This sounds like such a lovely and relaxing idea. I'm going to try to remember this to use it the next time I'm too brain clogged to study!

3,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Junior Trader 100
My advice for many people with writers block is to look at the spot you are at, and see if theres anything you want to change.... if you really dislike it you can just press the undo button a few times..... Or you can read a few books, and come up with your own ideas while reading them. (DO NOT COPY THE AUTHORS IDEAS PLZ).... I think the best thing though is to take a break, and listen to some music.... smile

Friendly Bookworm

I have been suffering severe writer's bock for months. I can't seem to get my story to get off on the right bat. Usually, music and a new location seems to inspire me.

New location to live or see: Done. Moved out of my house to my own apartment an hour away with good people to live with. The environment is calming and provides with much to do.

Music: Fail. I usually have a "theme song" for whatever I write. This book series is one I intend to publish once fully completed.

... Today, I am at work cleaning lockers (work at a gym as a housekeeper) and I hear "Sanctuary" by Gareth Emery and Lucy Saunders on Sirius XM radio over the speaker system. It hit me like a train and inspiration came back to me. I ran out and wrote down the song and came back to my apartment and bought it on iTunes, both the radio edit and the original 7 minute song.

And guess whose finally off writer's block? This one.

mrgreen

6,800 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

5,300 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I tend to get Writer's block often, hence my Gaian name, but, there is usually only a few things that I use to get it out of my system. I write about something else, something totally different from what I am writing. It can be opposite of theme, plot, or even the type of work I'm doing (If I'm writing for school, I'll jot down something that I don't need to turn in or if I'm writing something purely for fun then I'll write something that isn't fun.)
Tons of people have probably already said this, but when I have trouble writing, I usually Watch one of my favorite movies or read one of my favorite books or manga, and think of how the whole story would have been from the perspective of the "bad guy." I find trying to think of things from a different perspective very helpful in giving me more perspective when writing a scene, dialogue or character! smile

I also love to listen to music! In fact, about two weeks ago, i found a song that i absolutely loved(just so you know; it was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L4uP-o5XLc); so much so that I opened a word document and for the first time in over four months just began to write for the sake of writing! (I'd been writing pretty regularly, but it was always for a school assignment...) it was depressing, and the first couple of pieces I finished were a tad melancholy, but it got me writing again! It's amazing what a good song can do for the "inspiration center" of your brain! wink
evil My writer's block has been miserably bad for the past few months. It's like the urge to create has just ... completely died. gonk

... so I've just been watching a lot of Miyazaki movies over and over again sweatdrop

6,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Statustician 100
New.

Do things, go places that are new. Like take a drive to the country or city, if you've never been, do something watch something you've never watched before, go out side, drive through the mountines, do something diffrent insted of doing the same old borning, nothing new. Hafe the time people do the same old same old, its because they're scard to try new things. Eat something you've never eaten before or a new restront or something. trust me! This works. People who stick to the same boring rutine often get bord or tiered out easly. Doing new things will get you're brain felling refreshed and exited.
Jeanette Rose
New.

Do things, go places that are new. Like take a drive to the country or city, if you've never been, do something watch something you've never watched before, go out side, drive through the mountines, do something diffrent insted of doing the same old borning, nothing new. Hafe the time people do the same old same old, its because they're scard to try new things. Eat something you've never eaten before or a new restront or something. trust me! This works. People who stick to the same boring rutine often get bord or tiered out easly. Doing new things will get you're brain felling refreshed and exited.

That could help a lot, actually! biggrin Thanks.

2,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
From my expierence, Movie Soundtracks are the best Black Breaker! Inception.. 'nuff said. Most of my best ideas have been though of while listening to the Inception soundtrack. Also, leaving on just a lamp and my laptop makes me feel like its just me and my words. If your trying to write a romantic scene, something slow, or bubbily, depending on the scene. On the more action-y side of the equation, listen the something that has a lot of movement with an upbeat tempo and lots of percussion. I've found that scented candles help too! But when those dont work, im just stuck.

Hilarious Member

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
Normally I walk away from it and come back later. I would have a fresh idea and would be ready to go.
Sum up the story I'm stuck on, Succubus watchs over some kids while looking for the reincarnation of the man she loved so long ago.
((Highly unoriginal))
At the moment, the succubus goes through her monthly routine of everything sucking and her getting to the first girl she meet a few years back, poking in, doing the anual inspecation to see if the succubus is all right, (Girl has some Idea the succubus is a succubus but not real sure)
Succubus passes.
The two go a bar run by an angel that curses everyone out and has a thing for takeing scrunchys.
Two leave, two take bath, Succubus goes to put girl to bed; succubus relizes she needs a new bed.
The pair toss out the old bed and Succubus tells girl to get dressed.
Enter the writers block, save for the few later chapters.
((Ask bout them and I might let you see them, they are about 10 chapters in atleast, maybe a whole book))

I was thinking about sending them to the bar again but I;m not sure though. Any helpful Ideas?
Oh and the Story can befound on my actual account's profile Journal Here

I think I still have to repost three, I'll look into it tomorrow along with reposting the other chapters again.
Minor changes suck when you can't remember yesterday. razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces