Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Visionary

19,000 Points
  • Master Medic 150
  • Cool Competitor 150
  • Never Give Up 35
GreenInkling

Take Hamlet, from the play of the same name. How ordinary is it for a person to go through grief and mourning aggravated by a parent's seeming betrayal and pressures from friends and family to move on? If Hamlet had grudgingly held these feelings inside and let them fester, as people usually do, that would be an ordinary story. We can see him talking in the confessional about his grief and betrayal. Or angsting in front of the mirror. But Hamlet doesn't do that, at least not for long. He devises a madcap scheme to try to find out if his uncle murdered his father to marry his mother. And then he acts on it! He's perfectly ordinary in his character, in his flaws and strengths, but not ordinary in his execution. Seems a little dramatic, right, to accuse your stepfather of killing your father? Maybe not. Family drama reigns supreme! Still, who would pretend to be crazy and write an entire play to try to ensnare said stepfather into admitting to a murder only guessed at? But that's what makes Hamlet extraordinary.

I like your assessment of Hamlet. The character has feelings that are common in stressful family situations, and even his circumstances are not unheard-of (being the child of a man who was murdered by a relative with whom the son must interact every day). And I would add that Hamlet is not the typical man of action, unlike most of Shakespeare's and everybody else's heroes. He agonizes about his inability to act on his suspicions all the way through the play, and in the last few minutes of his life, he votes for Fortinbras, the man who has the qualities Hamlet desperately envies, for next king of Denmark. But the prince makes great use of what he does have, his considerable intelligence and ingenuity, and he generates that mad scheme to rattle his uncle into revealing the truth. The plan works all too well, resulting in the deaths of the people he loves as well as those he hates or has contempt for, and of course, himself. The extraordinariness of his character lies in the un-ordinary way he deals with a terrible situation and the drama that results.

Friendly Friend

Dramatica Angeliqua
so Iame
Dramatica Angeliqua
I'm currently in the process of planning for a novel I'm thinking of writing, and it has a character named Caela with dark brown eyes, dark blonde hair, petite figure, and beautiful face. I connect with her so well, because we're both deaf and reserved, and I incorporate my emotions into her character, giving her story deep, sincere feelings. I plan for the end of the novel to be her overcoming of shyness and troubles with self-acceptance.

That's awesome that you're deaf! I'm currently learning asl and it's really interesting to learn about the deaf culture! Do you go to a school solely for the deaf, of a public school?

I am mainstreamed in a hearing private school. smile

Do you use an interpreter? Or are you able to read lips easily?
Sorry if my badgering is annoying you, I've always wanted to meet someone who was deaf. 3nodding

Devoted Friend

9,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
so Iame
Dramatica Angeliqua
so Iame
Dramatica Angeliqua
I'm currently in the process of planning for a novel I'm thinking of writing, and it has a character named Caela with dark brown eyes, dark blonde hair, petite figure, and beautiful face. I connect with her so well, because we're both deaf and reserved, and I incorporate my emotions into her character, giving her story deep, sincere feelings. I plan for the end of the novel to be her overcoming of shyness and troubles with self-acceptance.

That's awesome that you're deaf! I'm currently learning asl and it's really interesting to learn about the deaf culture! Do you go to a school solely for the deaf, of a public school?

Sorry if my badgering is annoying you, I've always wanted to meet someone who was deaf. 3nodding

Oh, I wear hearing aids that help me hear, since I have some residual hearing left. I let my teachers wear a microphone, a device that hangs around their necks like a necklace, that, through wireless BlueTooth, goes into the attachable receivers on my hearing aids and maximizes their voices so I can hear them. Unfortunately, I do not have selective hearing, so the background noise is maximized, too, and sometimes I struggle to understand what people are saying. So much noise gets in the way. Also, I have trouble understanding people if they speak in a quiet voice or whisper.

For college, I might get an interpreter (I'm not fluent in ASL yet, so I don't know), but most likely I'll get a note taker because some professors may not like to wear my microphone. Currently, I'm a junior in high school, so I have the teachers wear the microphone. I read lips some, but reading lips without hearing anything is extremely hard. It's not a superpower. I mostly just listen and watch people's lips simultaneously to understand them the best. smile

Friendly Friend

Dramatica Angeliqua
so Iame
Dramatica Angeliqua
so Iame
Dramatica Angeliqua

Oh, I wear hearing aids that help me hear, since I have some residual hearing left. I let my teachers wear a microphone, a device that hangs around their necks like a necklace, that, through wireless BlueTooth, goes into the attachable receivers on my hearing aids and maximizes their voices so I can hear them. Unfortunately, I do not have selective hearing, so the background noise is maximized, too, and sometimes I struggle to understand what people are saying. So much noise gets in the way. Also, I have trouble understanding people if they speak in a quiet voice or whisper.

For college, I might get an interpreter (I'm not fluent in ASL yet, so I don't know), but most likely I'll get a note taker because some professors may not like to wear my microphone. Currently, I'm a junior in high school, so I have the teachers wear the microphone. I read lips some, but reading lips without hearing anything is extremely hard. It's not a superpower. I mostly just listen and watch people's lips simultaneously to understand them the best. smile

Oh that's so cool! Sorry, my ASL teacher lets us watch switched at birth somedays and the deaf people on that show are really good at reading lips so I just assumed. Did you lose your hearing at birth or through disease?
And ASL is hard to remember but fun to learn! I mostly know how to ask questions, and lots of words pertaining to food names and things around the house lol. But I plan on taking all 4 years and studying it in college.

Devoted Friend

9,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
so Iame
Dramatica Angeliqua
so Iame
Dramatica Angeliqua
so Iame
Dramatica Angeliqua

Oh that's so cool! Sorry, my ASL teacher lets us watch switched at birth somedays and the deaf people on that show are really good at reading lips so I just assumed. Did you lose your hearing at birth or through disease?
And ASL is hard to remember but fun to learn! I mostly know how to ask questions, and lots of words pertaining to food names and things around the house lol. But I plan on taking all 4 years and studying it in college.

Lol, yeah I know. It is true that some deaf people are excellent lip readers, but a very small percent understand a lot of what is being said just by reading lips alone. Here's an informative article I found that I encourage you to read: Speechreading.

I lost my hearing sometime before or after I was born. It's curious to know that the doctors had no idea what caused my hearing loss or when it occurred. It's a mystery! Yeah, ASL can be difficult to remember if you don't practice it often. Would you be interested in watching my videos that I'm planning on doing this summer on how to learn ASL? I'm also going to post an announcement about it in Chatterbox this summer. Btw, here's a video of me signing to a song. xd Steady My Heart

Inaqtuk's Wife

Salty Sweetheart

Great Lakes haze
GreenInkling

Take Hamlet, from the play of the same name. How ordinary is it for a person to go through grief and mourning aggravated by a parent's seeming betrayal and pressures from friends and family to move on? If Hamlet had grudgingly held these feelings inside and let them fester, as people usually do, that would be an ordinary story. We can see him talking in the confessional about his grief and betrayal. Or angsting in front of the mirror. But Hamlet doesn't do that, at least not for long. He devises a madcap scheme to try to find out if his uncle murdered his father to marry his mother. And then he acts on it! He's perfectly ordinary in his character, in his flaws and strengths, but not ordinary in his execution. Seems a little dramatic, right, to accuse your stepfather of killing your father? Maybe not. Family drama reigns supreme! Still, who would pretend to be crazy and write an entire play to try to ensnare said stepfather into admitting to a murder only guessed at? But that's what makes Hamlet extraordinary.

I like your assessment of Hamlet. The character has feelings that are common in stressful family situations, and even his circumstances are not unheard-of (being the child of a man who was murdered by a relative with whom the son must interact every day). And I would add that Hamlet is not the typical man of action, unlike most of Shakespeare's and everybody else's heroes. He agonizes about his inability to act on his suspicions all the way through the play, and in the last few minutes of his life, he votes for Fortinbras, the man who has the qualities Hamlet desperately envies, for next king of Denmark. But the prince makes great use of what he does have, his considerable intelligence and ingenuity, and he generates that mad scheme to rattle his uncle into revealing the truth. The plan works all too well, resulting in the deaths of the people he loves as well as those he hates or has contempt for, and of course, himself. The extraordinariness of his character lies in the un-ordinary way he deals with a terrible situation and the drama that results.

I. A. Gree. c:

And thanks!
I see you're a Hamlet fan, too. I wonder if there is a Shakespeare fanthread around here?

Friendly Friend

Dramatica Angeliqua
so Iame
Dramatica Angeliqua
so Iame
Dramatica Angeliqua

Lol, yeah I know. It is true that some deaf people are excellent lip readers, but a very small percent understand a lot of what is being said just by reading lips alone. Here's an informative article I found that I encourage you to read: Speechreading.

I lost my hearing sometime before or after I was born. It's curious to know that the doctors had no idea what caused my hearing loss or when it occurred. It's a mystery! Yeah, ASL can be difficult to remember if you don't practice it often. Would you be interested in watching my videos that I'm planning on doing this summer on how to learn ASL? I'm also going to post an announcement about it in Chatterbox this summer. Btw, here's a video of me signing to a song. xd Steady My Heart

That's so cool! And yeah, i'd be totally interested in watching your ASL videos! emotion_bigheart

Devoted Worshipper

9,850 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Probably my current in development one; Viscount Fairclough. Born a twin, her brother died, and due to her father's wish for an heir and declining sanity, her mother lied and said that the girl died. Elizabeth was raised as a boy, hair cut short, dressed as a male, introduced to society as one and so on. She pads her body, and fought (not unusual in the time of the English Civil War according to the historical record!) as a man on the Royalist side. She both deeply resents her father for forcing her to take up male responsibilities and duties and, at the same time, doesn't really know how to act any other way. She's naturally genderfluid. I plan for her to eventually come to accept and become comfortable with her femininity without sacrificing too much of the duties and attitude she is accustomed to presenting as a male. So she is strong due to said duties and expectations, and has a measure of inner fortitude.

Shameless Visionary

19,000 Points
  • Master Medic 150
  • Cool Competitor 150
  • Never Give Up 35
GreenInkling
Great Lakes haze
GreenInkling

I. A. Gree. c:

And thanks!
I see you're a Hamlet fan, too. I wonder if there is a Shakespeare fanthread around here?

I am a Hamlet fan. If there isn't a thread, it might be worth starting one and seeing who posts in?

Conservative Friend

4,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
My strongest character so far is from a novel/story about a young adult skinwalker(person that can transform into any animal desired) named Raven Wolf aka Wolf Fang that was cursed by a couple of skinwalkers and after they murdered her family, they get revenge! She's kind of a avatar of myself but as a fictional supernatural being that I roleplay as with my friends. She's very keen in her wolf senses and abilities, defenses, and in just plain general!

Magical Cutesmasher

11,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Clambake 200
The strongest character I've ever owned is tied with Sari from Darth Verrader or Isuzu from Another Dir en grey Fanfic.

Sari was just a badass. Born and raised a Jedi, fell to the darkside, then came back and joined an army of Greys who tried to overthrow the Sith and Jedi to create a utopian society.

Isuzu had the s**t beat out of her by her mother, ran away from home, and then went through all sorts of hell.

Conservative Genius

My strongest character in terms of most well developed is Ryan Galloway - he's got the physical and emotional strength of a wet paper bag, hence the qualifier. He started out in a story I wrote for English class that was a modern version of Beowulf told from the point of view of Unferth (aka the whiny guy who spends the first half of the tale doing his best to insult Beowulf). That story turned into a series of stories, and then I decided to do a Nano based on him in 2006, and it basically just spiralled rapidly out of control. I honestly think he's my strongest character because I've written so much for him, and because back when I was doing Nano, a friend and I would spend hours and hours on AIM talking about our characters and throwing questions at each other (to this day, I hear the name 'Sergei' and think of the awesome band manager in her story).

Versatile Wolf

10,050 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Such a weird but interesting question.. my strongest character is actually not the main character oddly enough.. Valon Hawkin is the main character best friend and fellow thief who has a Australian accent and is always full of life making joke, flirting with females, teasing guards and just being a total knucklehead thats my personality wise strong character strong as in strong would be the villian Lucifer Von Krauser whos as mean as they come.. this guy i made him so bad he makes Lord Voldermort from Harry Potter look like a sissy.

Fanatical Lunatic

9,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
Out of the five main characters I have, I have to say Alexandra is a strong character. She's been through so many changes she hardly the character I started out with anymore.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff