Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you bother doing research for your stories?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on August 17, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

meanwhile
China_Doll
1. Sorry this is a bit vague, but can someone give me a list of martial arts and tell me a bit about them (what kind of moves they focus on, what other martial arts it is combined with if any, what sort of people do it...)
I don't know that much about martial arts myself, but I looked around, and this site seemed alright. Just go to the very bottom of that page, and then just choose from the list of styles. It has about a page on each.

Thanks very much, and thanks to AiryaLauna.
Yuzure, how old would a Japanese fourth-grader be? That may help finding information for me!
China_Doll
1. Sorry this is a bit vague, but can someone give me a list of martial arts and tell me a bit about them (what kind of moves they focus on, what other martial arts it is combined with if any, what sort of people do it...)

2. Can anyone find me some information about that illness-thing where people lose their memory.... err... it begins with an 'a'... I want to know why people get it, what sort of things they remember and forget, what about it is permanent and what isn't.

I've got a headache, excuse my poor thinking.

For the second one, here's a more precise request:

I wnat to find out about this type of amnesia:

Traumatic amnesia: This follows brain damage caused by a severe non-penetrative blow to the head, such as in a road accident. It can lead to anything from a loss of consciousness for a few seconds to coma.
A bump from the depths of page six

(seemed a shame to let this go)
Thank you Meanwhile for bumping this one up whee

China_Doll

Traumatic amnesia: This follows brain damage caused by a severe non-penetrative blow to the head, such as in a road accident. It can lead to anything from a loss of consciousness for a few seconds to coma.

According to this site here, there are two different types of Traumatic Amnesia.

retrograde amnesia
the partial or total loss of the ability to recall events that have occurred during the period immediately preceding brain injury. The duration of retrograde amnesia usually progressively decreases.

anterograde amnesia
a reduced ability to form new memory after a brain injury, which may lead to decreased attention and inaccurate perception. Anterograde memory is frequently the last function to return after the recovery from a loss of consciousness.
Lady_Brimstone
Thank you Meanwhile for bumping this one up whee

China_Doll

According to this site here, there are two different types of Traumatic Amnesia.

retrograde amnesia
the partial or total loss of the ability to recall events that have occurred during the period immediately preceding brain injury. The duration of retrograde amnesia usually progressively decreases.

I did already know that, but thank you very much for helping. Retrograde Traumatic Amnesia. I can probably find things on that by myself, as it's more specific. biggrin
anterograde amnesia
a reduced ability to form new memory after a brain injury, which may lead to decreased attention and inaccurate perception. Anterograde memory is frequently the last function to return after the recovery from a loss of consciousness.
I do research when I really need too. Like when I wrote about a girl who was a gang member, I needed some statistics, etc. Or when I wrote about a girl with a stomach ulcer and diabetes, I need information about how ulcers are treated and such. My favorite, though, was when I researched mental institutions for teens (a brutal was to live) and when I researched tuberculosis. Now I'm pretty much an expert on the former. wink
NimueNight
I do research when I really need too. Like when I wrote about a girl who was a gang member, I needed some statistics, etc. Or when I wrote about a girl with a stomach ulcer and diabetes, I need information about how ulcers are treated and such. My favorite, though, was when I researched mental institutions for teens (a brutal was to live) and when I researched tuberculosis. Now I'm pretty much an expert on the former. wink
confused Are you asking for help or bragging whee

I prefer to write fantasy worlds, so i can make up as much stuff as humanely possible. Im still fanatical when it comes to research. Like how i bought an atlas on geographical land features so i could perfect my map, im constantly looking at languages and studying their basic features, and stuff like that. Studies have confirmed it, The BS is a dork xd
Bump ninja

sorry, but this is too good of a thread to die sweatdrop
Ooh I have a question (well, a chain of them really):

--Is it possible to have narcolepsy and epilepsy at the same time? When you're in high school? And if so, what might the effects of having both do to you on a normal day basis? Would you faint constantly? Would you have coma-causing seizures? Could you be knocked out for an extended period, say five months? And last, how might it affect your memory?

^-~ If someone could answer these questions for me, or have links that go into all that sort of thing, that'd be great- Basically, I just want to check the validity of my story. Ciao! Arigatou for any help you could give me!

P.S. I know several have said it before, but I must agree- this is a great idea for a thread!
For Narcolepsy:

Quote:
Symptoms generally begin between the ages of 15 and 30.

Quote:
disabling neurological disorder of sleep regulation that affects the control of sleep and wakefulness

Quote:
Patients with the disorder experience irresistible sleep attacks, throughout the day, which can last for 30 seconds to more than 30 minutes, regardless of the amount or quality of prior nighttime sleep.

Quote:
The four classic symptoms of the disorder are excessive daytime sleepiness; cataplexy (sudden, brief episodes of muscle weakness or paralysis brought on by strong emotions such as laughter, anger, surprise or anticipation); sleep paralysis (paralysis upon falling asleep or waking up); and hypnagogic hallucinations (vivid dream-like images that occur at sleep onset).

For Epilepsy :

Quote:
causing strange sensations, emotions, and behavior or sometimes convulsions, muscle spasms, and loss of consciousness.

Quote:
Anything that disturbs the normal pattern of neuron activity — from illness to brain damage to abnormal brain development — can lead to seizures

Quote:
Most seizures do not cause brain damage

Click on those links for additional info.

For what i can tell, both of the diseases are neurological and they dont seem to cancel each other out, so i dont see why some unfortunate character cant have both (id get a medical opinion though to be sure, at your next doctors visit, slip the question in casually wink ). The website doesnt say whether or not the seizures will result into a coma, so i would go on google if i were you and try to get more indepth on seizures themselves 3nodding The next couple of questions would go with that research.

Good luck!

9,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
AriyaLauna
.Farfarello
Mozart and S(can't remember how to spell his name sweatdrop ) were sort of friendly with each other but moved in completely different circles. However, the whole Emporer being an idiot and the politics going on in court did happen.

Um, yes... I happened to have been a big Mozart fan until I let my brain get rusty.

Actually, wasn't whatshisface (I can't remember either, lol) suspected for the longest time of having murdered Mozart through poison? No one really knows, but that was a very popular theory up until recently, according to my Art and Music teacher.

It was one of the theories, but it was considered a very radical theory, hence why it was used as part of the play/movie. Another theory was that he died of pnenomia, that he died from lead poisoning (fairly common in those times), or that he died from consumption (what we call TB today). I think they found that he died from a liver infection.
Lady_Brimstone
For Narcolepsy:

Quote:
Symptoms generally begin between the ages of 15 and 30.

Quote:
disabling neurological disorder of sleep regulation that affects the control of sleep and wakefulness

Quote:
Patients with the disorder experience irresistible sleep attacks, throughout the day, which can last for 30 seconds to more than 30 minutes, regardless of the amount or quality of prior nighttime sleep.

Quote:
The four classic symptoms of the disorder are excessive daytime sleepiness; cataplexy (sudden, brief episodes of muscle weakness or paralysis brought on by strong emotions such as laughter, anger, surprise or anticipation); sleep paralysis (paralysis upon falling asleep or waking up); and hypnagogic hallucinations (vivid dream-like images that occur at sleep onset).

For Epilepsy :

Quote:
causing strange sensations, emotions, and behavior or sometimes convulsions, muscle spasms, and loss of consciousness.

Quote:
Anything that disturbs the normal pattern of neuron activity — from illness to brain damage to abnormal brain development — can lead to seizures

Quote:
Most seizures do not cause brain damage

Click on those links for additional info.

For what i can tell, both of the diseases are neurological and they dont seem to cancel each other out, so i dont see why some unfortunate character cant have both (id get a medical opinion though to be sure, at your next doctors visit, slip the question in casually wink ). The website doesnt say whether or not the seizures will result into a coma, so i would go on google if i were you and try to get more indepth on seizures themselves 3nodding The next couple of questions would go with that research.

Good luck!

Ah yes, very unfortunate character indeed. *shakes head sadly* To have it start at 15 too. *Sighs*

Thanks for the links. 3nodding Muchachos Appreciatos! (XP My spanish sucks muchos muchos)
C'est d'accord, je ne compris pas espagnol. whee
Lady_Brimstone
C'est d'accord, je ne compris pas espagnol. whee

surprised No fair using french! Mm...lucky I have altavista though...

wink it wouldn't be a good thing, if you couldn't tell the difference between my spanish and the officiall language of Spain. ...hehe

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff