Welcome to Gaia! ::

When you write a scene, do you tend to focus on the actual actions, the expressions, the clothes, the weather, the furniture, the sunlight? Or is it more internal dialogue, emotional turmoil, slightly lucid and meandering through the human mind? Are you abstract or concrete in your writing? I know everyone is a little of both, but which do you focus upon more?

I, for one, and more inside the mind than out. It's maybe a bad thing to have, as it makes my stuff hard to understand sometimes, but I'd really like to see how most aspiring writers work.

1,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
Depends on the situation. Battle Scene=all action, little thought. Outside of battle=all thought, doubt, greed, depression, etc.
I use both. If the characters are idle, I tell about what they sense from the outside. When they think deeply, I tell about what they sense from within.

Celebrating Lover

6,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
I like to write things in first person...lots of emotional description...nothing quite like messing with a character's head...
Alteau
Depends on the situation. Battle Scene=all action, little thought. Outside of battle=all thought, doubt, greed, depression, etc.

Yeah, it really depends on scenes. In battle there's not really time to think. You're either moving and reacting or you're probably going to get shishkabobbed (unless of course you're about to ambush someone, which is a little different).

When they're thinking or just speaking I try to bring in little things they might notice. Like if they're sitting at a window they might notice unusual clouds. But there's not big detail, it's more thought.
Usually the physical scene, but I have one character that it's important I keep mainly with his emotions, and another who's thoughts are a blast to write.
Mine is mainly all emotion, everyone knows what war is like ... but to have a feeling of it and feel what it'd be like to be there, that's what I go for. But then again I love to describe things so I guess I'd say both, but favouring the emotional side of it a bit more.
Interesting responses....:: nods :: I agree with Phlecade, he described it better then me. :: bows :: Also, I noticed that first person is very hard to do without getting too emotional. I've only seen it once, on this book about a child spy. Any have any recommendations on good examples of both? Is
UglyDisneyPrincess
Also, I noticed that first person is very hard to do without getting too emotional. I've only seen it once, on this book about a child spy. Any have any recommendations on good examples of both? Is

First person is my favorite POV, just comes to me more naturally in most cases.

...A bad example would be Frankenstein. I hate that book. But for some reason, I can't think of anything particularly good at the moment.
Physical or emotional huh? At first I agreed with those that said it depends on the scene, but after further thought I have to disagreecompletely.

A story renders a characters world and the physical is just as important as the internal monoglogue. For any point of view, be that first, second, or third, make sure that the character doesn't drone on too much about their feelings. It's really easy to get carried away with such things and can such turn off a reader. Somtimes, it's best to get out of writer mode and look at your work in a very objective reader.

A lot of beginning writing students tend to forego setting and don't see the importance of it. Describing a characters setting can sometimes evoke the emotion you want. Writing is a subtle art, folks. Don't underestimate the reader's intelligence. There are all kinds of tools out there you can use for effective story telling so you don't have to beat your reader over the head with the message or the feeling.

So, to avoid over explanation, it's probably best to have a good mixture of telling physical description as well as choosy bits of internal monologue. Yes, even in a action sequence. No, you don't have much time to think in a fight, but a character makes decisions and judgements. Thinking is a split second process, friends. It's okay to have your character sizing up an opponent in their mind and formulating thoughts, ideas, plans, etc.
depends on the situation. But usually its just on the character and whats going to be happening to them.

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
I suppose I write more in the "emotional world," as you put it. That might just be because my main character has more mental issues to deal with than physical. Great, now I made it sound like he's just another one of those schizo characters. By "mental issues" I do not mean mental disorders. There.
I write more emotional than physical. I just like to get in peoples' heads more. I hate only being able to tell what goes on in my head, and no one elses. I think that is why I write in first-person perspectives, so I can get inside the brain. I wish I was telepathic, that would be cool.

As for 1st-person books, they seem hard to find. The only one I can think of is this book about a girl who goes to a Canadian boarding school then lives in a cabin with her father who gets drunk on Canadian moonshine. Does anyone know the name? It was quite good, I think it was called something moon and/or man.
My point of veiw would be to insert their emotional world when it is needed. Stephen King showed me a lot in this area. Thoughts inserted when the focus is on the mind of a character, or a personal reaction to a situation, tend to be my favorite.
The physical world is very important, and used wisely you can create a masterpeice with it. The Snow Walker trilogy was mainly the physical world with thoughts inserted subtly through what was happening instead of directly through the mind. One does not have to use the emotional world as much if it is displayed through the physical world.
First person writing helps open the emotional world of a single person. With that drawbridge down, the physical world becomes less substantial, but eliminating it would be a mistake. Personally I enjoy all points of veiw, but use third person omniscient the most.
Good examples of first person writing are common in diaries and some fiction. Examples? Ella Enchanted, Princess Diaries, The Mediator series, some of Loyd Alexander's work, The Garret Files (which I highly recommend if you enjoy laughing), and many more. These are just off the top of my head.
In summary, its how you use the worlds not which world you use. I love both, and do my best to represent them well.
Meh, depends on what the scene dictates. I like getting into my characters heads - something has to happen, however. Otherwise all you get is paragraphs and pages of introspective exposition that probably has no point whatsoever.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff