Welcome to Gaia! ::

A good all-purpose name generator is http://www.squid.org/tools/names/. It has a good mix of names from various cultures (everything from the Amazon to Japan), as well as fantasy names, Tolkein-ish names, place names, and pretty much any type of name you'd need.

Still, I'd recommend trying to make up your own name using the very handy guide in this thread before resorting to generators. That way, you have the satisfaction of doing it on your own.
So, umm. Any opinions on what I posted a page ago? gonk

Hygienic Conversationalist

3,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Popular Thread 100
This is my favorite site for going through and just memorizing names for later use, and their meanings. http://lowchensaustralia.com/names/mysticalnames.htm
At the same time, it's not always useful, and if you're looking for long, fancy names, this isn't going to help.
Hmm. I remember noticing this before. When I came back to the WF I thought I saw this sticky in a dream or something, and yet here it is, alive and real.

What ever happened to the name bank?
Sergeant Sargent
Hmm. I remember noticing this before. When I came back to the WF I thought I saw this sticky in a dream or something, and yet here it is, alive and real.

I've seen it floating around, somewhere, still in the WF.
Ceanothus
It's about time we got a sticky like this. Thanks! It's fantastic. I only hope it helps.

This sticky is my savior *bowing in front of computer* Thank you to the people who made this thing.

Timid Raider

Hey, some of those links were actually very helpful. See, I don't know of any Cambodian names, but I had a kid who was from Cambodia and was one of my characters.

I was calling him Cam for lack of a better name. Calling someone from Cambodia 'Cam' just isn't cool.

I'm going to call him Rangsey.
Sergeant Sargent

Scuttled. It's still in this forum, but it's not stickied anymore.
biggrin This is SO helpful!!! I can never come up with names for people or places.
*Studio Applause* Yeesh...lotsa names. This is a real help, and I gotta hand it ti you for putting it together. Thanks so much for doing this!

6,850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
For non-human characters I mix and match names from different ethnic groups...other times I just flat-out make a name.

Magical Warrior

Need some advice.

I'm writing a novel...well it's currently more of a novella...but whaterya gonna do, eh?

Anyway, I was thinking of calling it "Like Hell", but I'm afraid that would be interpreted more literally as it is about hell and therefore is not like hell as it is hell. Very complicated, I know.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff