Welcome to Gaia! ::

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Yukimi-Kitsune
Hi. I need a good name for a historical fiction/fantasy novel about the Black Death as an actual person. I have the name "Fractured Fairy Tale" picked out but it never seemed to quite fit. Any advice? Thanks.

Her name was Mary and traditionally she carried a red scarf.

...Or did you not want the real myth?

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Yukimi-Kitsune
I_Write_Ivre
I need a gemstone name for a place. I already have Amber, Jacinth, Lapis, Peridot, and Citrine. I don't like garnet and pearl doesn't work.

Amethyst, Ametrine, Tiger Eye, Topaz, Emerald, Ruby, Malachite, Jade, Jadeite, Aquamarine, Sapphire, Beryl, Agate, Quartz. I, personally, would choose "Malachite". It sounds masculine and so much like a location rather than a semi-precious gemstone. Hope this helps.

Masculine is the opposite of what would work in this world. Men are considered weaker than women.

Unidentified Fox

11,250 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Forum Regular 100
I_Write_Ivre
Yukimi-Kitsune
Hi. I need a good name for a historical fiction/fantasy novel about the Black Death as an actual person. I have the name "Fractured Fairy Tale" picked out but it never seemed to quite fit. Any advice? Thanks.

Her name was Mary and traditionally she carried a red scarf.

...Or did you not want the real myth?

Not the real myth, no. That sounds like Typhoid Mary, anyways. My character is a demon, demons were thought during the Dark Ages to be one of the causes of the Black Death.

Unidentified Fox

11,250 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Forum Regular 100
I_Write_Ivre
Yukimi-Kitsune
I_Write_Ivre
I need a gemstone name for a place. I already have Amber, Jacinth, Lapis, Peridot, and Citrine. I don't like garnet and pearl doesn't work.

Amethyst, Ametrine, Tiger Eye, Topaz, Emerald, Ruby, Malachite, Jade, Jadeite, Aquamarine, Sapphire, Beryl, Agate, Quartz. I, personally, would choose "Malachite". It sounds masculine and so much like a location rather than a semi-precious gemstone. Hope this helps.

Masculine is the opposite of what would work in this world. Men are considered weaker than women.

Oh, sorry. Then, Beryl also sounds like a location. As does Jadeite. There's also Lapis Lazuli. You could use 'Lazuli', but to me it sounds like a small city in Italy.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Yukimi-Kitsune
I_Write_Ivre
Yukimi-Kitsune
I_Write_Ivre

Oh, sorry. Then, Beryl also sounds like a location. As does Jadeite. There's also Lapis Lazuli. You could use 'Lazuli', but to me it sounds like a small city in Italy.

How does Citrine and Olivine sound?

Unidentified Fox

11,250 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Forum Regular 100
I_Write_Ivre
Yukimi-Kitsune
I_Write_Ivre
Yukimi-Kitsune
I_Write_Ivre

How does Citrine and Olivine sound?

That sounds great. Go with it.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I have story where a woman named Despair pulls a magic crystal out of her body and uses the magic of it to bring her just-then-killed husband back to life, sacrificing her life in the process.

Visually, this looks a bit too much like Sailor Moon and the husband's name was Endymion (named before I got into Sailor Moon.

So I need a new name. Names in this world derived from ancient Greek or contemporary or previous nearby civilizations, or are words, usually depressing or threatening ones (his father's name is Suspicion and his brother's name is Temerity and some unrelated character is named Dementia).

Partying Millionaire

6,050 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
I'm trying to decide on a name for my character who is lanky/malnourished, laid-back, and quite the night owl. I've come to three names, so the question is, which is the best? I don't mind proposals for other names too.

~Noc (as in nocturnal, pronounced as "knock" wink
~Wander
~Vigil

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Whimsy Kid
I'm trying to decide on a name for my character who is lanky/malnourished, laid-back, and quite the night owl.

None of those have anything to do with his name. We need his parents' culture and where and when he lives.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Etienne Amour
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before in this thread, but I have a small question for you all! In one of my pieces, three important characters (two of the main characters and a close friend of theirs) all have names starting with S. I'm sure it would be noticeable if Sebastian, Sadie/Sophie, and Shandy all ended up on the same page together. This was completely unintentional, but their names have stuck and I don't know if I should change them or not. As a reader, would this be bothersome? As a writer?

I'm thinking about changing Sebastian to simply Bastian and Sadie/Sophie to Adele, but somehow these don't seem to fit their characters. Has this happened to you before? Any advice?

You could use both versions and use one as a nickname.

On a different topic, do names HAVE to have any significance to what the character is like, beyond what their culture is?

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Which one of these fits modern Japanese culture better? Naginata or Nagimoto?

If they're both fine, I'll decide myself.

8,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Consumer 100
  • Member 100
I_Write_Ivre
Which one of these fits modern Japanese culture better? Naginata or Nagimoto?

If they're both fine, I'll decide myself.

The 'moto' in Nagimoto sounds more common to my ears than 'nata'. So I'd go with Nagimoto.

Super Streaker

i'm writing a story involving the myth of the yeti, taking place (at least the mythological aspects) in tibet, around mount everest. the girl, based on an ancient curse, has the ability to transform into the yeti every month. the guy, climbing up the summit on an expedition with his friends and uncle, finds her in the snow after she transforms back to human. i don't know exactly what'll happen, but they will fall in love.

my question is, what should i call the book? right now, it's "The Yeti", but i don't know if that's too plain. anyone willing to help me out?

Lonely Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
lady vesuvius
i'm writing a story involving the myth of the yeti, taking place (at least the mythological aspects) in tibet, around mount everest. the girl, based on an ancient curse, has the ability to transform into the yeti every month. the guy, climbing up the summit on an expedition with his friends and uncle, finds her in the snow after she transforms back to human. i don't know exactly what'll happen, but they will fall in love.

my question is, what should i call the book? right now, it's "The Yeti", but i don't know if that's too plain. anyone willing to help me out?

lol "no mountain high enough"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces