Welcome to Gaia! ::

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Lazarus Larkin

I have a character in a pseudo-late Victorin/Edwardian-English setting (I say "pseudo" because there is magic and I don't think I'm going to actually name the country). I was thinking of naming him Edward, because I want a name that sounds a) British and b) old-fashioned.

I just... have this teensy paranoia that people will think I'm naming him after Edward Cullen, even though he has nothing at all in common with Edward Cullen aside from the name.

Am I being paranoid?

Edward is the name of someone in a popular anime. And a Disney film. And famous pirate.

You're fine.
I need help naming a new female character of mine... If anyone can give me a list of, and/or suggest some (British) English names, particularly old-fashioned, I would really, really appreciate it. :3

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Khaotic+Katharsis
I need help naming a new female character of mine... If anyone can give me a list of, and/or suggest some (British) English names, particularly old-fashioned, I would really, really appreciate it. :3

Elizabeth (or versions thereof)
Anne
Jane
Khaotic+Katharsis

Irish: Moira, Saoirse
    English: Catherine, Victoria, Elizabeth, Bridget
    Scottish: Aileen/Eileen, Fiona, Mary
    Welsh: Bethany, Gwyn
Alright, I've decided. Thank you for your help!

Salty Veteran

19,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Devin 200
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
Lazarus Larkin
Thanks, a couple other people have said I shouldn't worry about it. And I think it does fit him... plus then I can have his sister call him "Eddie", which I can imagine her doing very easily.
You could also name him "Edwin" or "Edmond" and then people wouldn't mistake him for a vampire and his sister could still call him "Eddie." mrgreen

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Can someone help me find some really airhead bimbo names? The main character of my story is supposed to be presented as this dumb blonde trophy wife whom everyone thinks has the intelligence of a dead flea. The truth she hides is that she's really smart and it's all an act.

At the moment, she's called Bunny, but I don't know if that's ditzy enough. Can anyone point out where to find really ditzy names? I've looked on line, but all I come up with some company called Ditzy.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Fireweed_honey
Can someone help me find some really airhead bimbo names? The main character of my story is supposed to be presented as this dumb blonde trophy wife whom everyone thinks has the intelligence of a dead flea. The truth she hides is that she's really smart and it's all an act.

At the moment, she's called Bunny, but I don't know if that's ditzy enough. Can anyone point out where to find really ditzy names? I've looked on line, but all I come up with some company called Ditzy.

If you want a stripper-esque name, stripper names were what the elite named their kids last generation. If you want a 'what my kid lacks n personality and intelligence, she makes up for in a dumb name' kind of name, anything ending with an 'i' instead of a 'y' would work.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
I_Write_Ivre
Fireweed_honey

If you want a stripper-esque name, stripper names were what the elite named their kids last generation. If you want a 'what my kid lacks n personality and intelligence, she makes up for in a dumb name' kind of name, anything ending with an 'i' instead of a 'y' would work.

Thanks
Do I really need to name my main character if I'm writing in diary format? I think it would be awkward to have her mention her own name, even more so since I don't have one picked out for her. Then again, I feel she should have a name because she's the most important character. Thoughts?

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Invisible Fire Hunter
Do I really need to name my main character if I'm writing in diary format? I think it would be awkward to have her mention her own name, even more so since I don't have one picked out for her. Then again, I feel she should have a name because she's the most important character. Thoughts?

A name is just a fancy way of saying 'character x' so you can distinguish them form 'character y'.

A name is only needed if you "Hey, you!" isn't a proper way to address someone or if you need to point out THIS character did/is something instead of THAT character.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
I_Write_Ivre
Invisible Fire Hunter

A name is just a fancy way of saying 'character x' so you can distinguish them form 'character y'.

A name is only needed if you "Hey, you!" isn't a proper way to address someone or if you need to point out THIS character did/is something instead of THAT character.

Good point I_Write_Ivre. I agree, there really is no requirement that a character have a name in a diary type format.

There may be, however, a creative way of introducing your character's name, Invisible Fire Hunter, if you just can't live without a name for your character. I can think of a few possibilities for a diary-entry that might mention one's own name just off the top of my head.

That being said, I do feel that it may seem a bit forced to the average reader. Perhaps more importantly, it might be a great experiment to see if you can do without a name for the character and create from his or her diary entries who he or she is as a person. Names are fun to create but it could be more fun to go without one even if its just to test your own character development skills.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Doofi3
I_Write_Ivre
Invisible Fire Hunter

Good point I_Write_Ivre. I agree, there really is no requirement that a character have a name in a diary type format.

There may be, however, a creative way of introducing your character's name, Invisible Fire Hunter, if you just can't live without a name for your character. I can think of a few possibilities for a diary-entry that might mention one's own name just off the top of my head.

That being said, I do feel that it may seem a bit forced to the average reader. Perhaps more importantly, it might be a great experiment to see if you can do without a name for the character and create from his or her diary entries who he or she is as a person. Names are fun to create but it could be more fun to go without one even if its just to test your own character development skills.

No argument here.

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

I’ve got a name problem, and I’m hoping this is the right place to ask about it. If I should make a new topic or post this somewhere else, just tell me; I’ll be happy to delete or move it.

So basic background: Co-writing a story with a friend, have it all plotted out and ready to go; we have the characters worked out and have been doing some side-stories based on the characters and the world while we get ourselves situated there.

But there’s this one character.

The name we want to use is a nickname of sorts, and it suits her to the ground – so much so that I feel like changing it would feel wrong. It’s part of her history, and so it’s part of her.

The story as it is cannot exist without this character, and after so much time writing her, I can’t imagine forcing her to exist any other way. The name fits her, and I really don’t want to change it; like I say, it would just feel so wrong to give her a different name now. The name in question is not something I would consider particularly unique. She’s called Doll Girl due to her appearance, as well as various other factors that I won’t go into here.

At the time I named her, I thought I was making it up. Turns out that I’d half-remembered it from a book I’d read a few years ago – found that out while rereading said book after finding it buried in my bookcase.

So my question, I guess, is similar to Lazarus’s: do I have to change her name? I’m going to stress that my character is unique from the other character as a person; it’s only the name that’s the same. If they only share a name (and a name, at that, that the other character only uses for a few chapters or so), is that going to cause trouble or can I leave her as she is?

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
SilentShadowDreamer
I’ve got a name problem, and I’m hoping this is the right place to ask about it. If I should make a new topic or post this somewhere else, just tell me; I’ll be happy to delete or move it.

So basic background: Co-writing a story with a friend, have it all plotted out and ready to go; we have the characters worked out and have been doing some side-stories based on the characters and the world while we get ourselves situated there.

But there’s this one character.

The name we want to use is a nickname of sorts, and it suits her to the ground – so much so that I feel like changing it would feel wrong. It’s part of her history, and so it’s part of her.

The story as it is cannot exist without this character, and after so much time writing her, I can’t imagine forcing her to exist any other way. The name fits her, and I really don’t want to change it; like I say, it would just feel so wrong to give her a different name now. The name in question is not something I would consider particularly unique. She’s called Doll Girl due to her appearance, as well as various other factors that I won’t go into here.

At the time I named her, I thought I was making it up. Turns out that I’d half-remembered it from a book I’d read a few years ago – found that out while rereading said book after finding it buried in my bookcase.

So my question, I guess, is similar to Lazarus’s: do I have to change her name? I’m going to stress that my character is unique from the other character as a person; it’s only the name that’s the same. If they only share a name (and a name, at that, that the other character only uses for a few chapters or so), is that going to cause trouble or can I leave her as she is?

I think you're fine unless she shares an amazing amount of traits with the other Doll Girl. I've never heard the name before, but If you're worried about looking like a rip-off, be careful about Doll Man, too (though I doubt you actually have a problem)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff