Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
LoperDoper Mule
DarknessofHeavenandDreams
LoperDoper Mule

I have a name, and I want to know it's origin.
What's the name?
Morranis

It has several possible origins, the most likely ones being the Italian 'Seaman/ of the sea', Hebrew for 'bitter'. There is an indication that it could be Greek, but the meaning is unknown (so far).
I am The Compendium
It has several possible origins, the most likely ones being the Italian 'Seaman/ of the sea', Hebrew for 'bitter'. There is an indication that it could be Greek, but the meaning is unknown (so far).
I did think it sounded Italian, thank you!

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Does anyone know the meaning of the Japanese surname Kumada?
this actually helps, im a writer myself ! blaugh
I_Write_Ivre
Does anyone know the meaning of the Japanese surname Kumada?

It's not a perfect translation, but it could either mean "gentle bear" or "mountain bear." With separated kanji it would be "bear" and "rice field". Sadly I am better versed with Chinese characters.

LoperDoper Mule
I have a Greek character, and a surname in mind for his daughter.
I don't want a site that will give me a Greek surname, I want to know if there's a site that'll tell me what origin a surname is likely to come from.

[The surname's Morranis and I'm not sure whether to attribute it to the father or the mother, who hasn't really got a designated nationality yet]

My guess would be that Morranis would probably be of Gothic(French, German, Spanish) origin derived from earlier Greek. Mora could be derivative of either marina "of the sea" or moralis "morals, ethos". The double 'r' however, is rare for these languages as a surname, more often showing up in first names. Drop the 'r' and you have a very much Greek or general Eastern-European surname. This includes ancient Greek assuming the person is in a political or aristocratic position, but otherwise ancient Greeks had no surnames.

For reference, try this site. It's not a search, but it has what you need.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Heliumbaby

It's not a perfect translation, but it could either mean "gentle bear" or "mountain bear." With separated kanji it would be "bear" and "rice field". Sadly I am better versed with Chinese characters.

Close enough for me.

heart

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I need a nickname for a villain. There are two large ones, the first is Phage, whose strategy is more oriented around stealing and salvaging everything they can from their enemies. The one unnamed tends to destroy instead.

5,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Thank you so much for this. I'm writing an original Legend of Zelda story and need character names. Having trouble figuring out the name for the Spririt Sage and these sites and advice will help a lot!

Phantom

8,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Full closet 200
I want to know the meaning of my name if some one can help.

Omnipresent Regular

15,990 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
I need a nickname for a villain. There are two large ones, the first is Phage, whose strategy is more oriented around stealing and salvaging everything they can from their enemies. The one unnamed tends to destroy instead.

Well, there are a multitude of places we can go with the name, but it's best to start with the setting. Is it sci-fi, historical fiction, etc.
Based off of theme and then location (fictional representations of a preexisting place on earth or completely made up), one can get a better feel for the type of name. While a nickname that characterizes the type of character is good, it's best if it also suits the location/time period/theme or what-havey-ou of your world

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Panumbra

Well, there are a multitude of places we can go with the name, but it's best to start with the setting. Is it sci-fi, historical fiction, etc.
Based off of theme and then location (fictional representations of a preexisting place on earth or completely made up), one can get a better feel for the type of name. While a nickname that characterizes the type of character is good, it's best if it also suits the location/time period/theme or what-havey-ou of your world

The problem is that it's a sci-fi fanfiction and the race that the villain belongs to don't really have names, as they are telepathic and know each other by 'feel.' However, they are explaining this villain to humans, who name everything.

Omnipresent Regular

15,990 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Panumbra

The problem is that it's a sci-fi fanfiction and the race that the villain belongs to don't really have names, as they are telepathic and know each other by 'feel.' However, they are explaining this villain to humans, who name everything.

Hmm, I see. Well, then you could pick something simplistic for his purpose to help convey the menace and types of goals that he is trying to achieve (i.e. Destroyer, Cataclysm, Fissure, etc). Or, you could name him in a way that his species is known to others in general.
Panumbra

Hmm, I see. Well, then you could pick something simplistic for his purpose to help convey the menace and types of goals that he is trying to achieve (i.e. Destroyer, Cataclysm, Fissure, etc). Or, you could name him in a way that his species is known to others in general.

A simplistic name would be best, as the theme of the fic (and some of the episodes of the show this is a fanfic of) show that not all the species are the same.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff