Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bookworm

Li`l Pixie

Hm... I think short novels might split up the flow a little bit...
So I'll probably just try for planning 2/3 bigger ones. T wT <33

Really, thank you so much for all of your help! <33

Hygienic Werewolf

6,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Hygienic 200
Nutwin
Li`l Pixie

Hm... I think short novels might split up the flow a little bit...
So I'll probably just try for planning 2/3 bigger ones. T wT <33

Really, thank you so much for all of your help! <33

C: > Access dialogue.exe. Please wait...
Input text:

|Yeah no problem! If I could make real money doing this, I'd have a job I actually liked. User Image
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hygienic Werewolf

6,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Hygienic 200
C: > Access doge.exe. Please choose option:
1) Pet the doge. 2) Feed the doge. 3) Hug the doge. 4) Walk the doge. 5) Brush the doge. 6) Donate to doge.

| mrgreen
User Image

Dapper Noob

Maybe you could help me. C: First of all, I love creative writing and have written plenty of poems and short stories, and am trying to branch out to write something a little longer.

Thus, I am in the process of a story, and I've got most of the main ideas, fine details, characters, feelings and whatever else I am hoping to express scribbled down. However, I am having difficulties organizing my mind and actually making progress with the actual writing. There are so many ways to present and word everything that I have redone the first chapter like fifty times. XD The downfall of perfectionism.

Do you have any tips for moving on happily and organizing information more efficiently? sweatdrop

Hygienic Werewolf

6,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Hygienic 200
TakoyakiSoup
Maybe you could help me. C: First of all, I love creative writing and have written plenty of poems and short stories, and am trying to branch out to write something a little longer.

Thus, I am in the process of a story, and I've got most of the main ideas, fine details, characters, feelings and whatever else I am hoping to express scribbled down. However, I am having difficulties organizing my mind and actually making progress with the actual writing. There are so many ways to present and word everything that I have redone the first chapter like fifty times. XD The downfall of perfectionism.

Do you have any tips for moving on happily and organizing information more efficiently? sweatdrop
1) Pet the doge. 2) Feed the doge. 3) Hug the doge. 4) Walk the doge. 5) Brush the doge. 6) Donate to doge.

|First, get Scrivener. It's an awesome program that helps you organize everything for your project. Second, decide what the theme should be. Make 1-2 sentences about what the story will center around.

For example, one of my stories features a young octopus and his siblings. The theme for this story is "Anyone can be as big as they want to be. They just have to put their mind to it." He dreams of becoming the legendary Kraken to protect the reef. With this in mind, you can really begin.

Next, you will want a bare bones skeleton outline. For my story I did something like this:
1. Kaito the octopus is born. Mother greets all her children and tells story of how they will protect reef.
2. Kaito wanders off and runs into otters.
3. Otters follow him back home.
4. Otters eat babies and mother sacrifices herself to save them.
5. Kaito and siblings left talk about what to do.

That's just the beginning, but you get the idea. For that story, I had about 10-15 different points (or cards in scrivener). After that, decide specific details:

1. Kaito the octopus is born. Mother greets all her children and tells story of how they will protect reef.
- explain process of birth and thoughts that run through Kaito's head.
- talk about how the reef looks to him
- describe how mother looks
- talk about many happy visitors to the birth
- Kaito meets some of his sisters as they play with a shell
- they share thoughts on things
- mother tells story of Kraken, makes Kaito want to become one

If you are using scrivener, make 1 a folder, and each - a card. You can then write on the cards by clicking them. It opens a text document where you can type the story of each part.

I hope this helps!

User Image

Dapper Noob

That does help, I didn't even think of there being a program for such things. :3 Thanks a lot!

Hygienic Werewolf

6,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Hygienic 200
TakoyakiSoup
That does help, I didn't even think of there being a program for such things. :3 Thanks a lot!

|Yeah, no problem! 4laugh
User Image

Hygienic Werewolf

6,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Hygienic 200

|MOO User Image
User Image

BlueJay Adler's Fangirl

Trash Otaku

Any advice on how to make a story seem longer?

In my case, I just started a new project, and while I'm confident I can get the word count I want, I feel like the story wasted no time in getting into the main plot.

Hygienic Werewolf

6,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Hygienic 200
W00FlE
Any advice on how to make a story seem longer?

In my case, I just started a new project, and while I'm confident I can get the word count I want, I feel like the story wasted no time in getting into the main plot.

|My advice is to not force a word count. It depends on how your story goes. Sometimes it takes no time at all, and sometimes it takes a bit to get to the main plot. If you're concerned there's not enough description, though, that can be fixed. Imagine that you are watching your story as a movie. Are there things you see that the reader may not see? For example, how does the scenery look? Did you explain that? Or the weather, features on your character, what they are wearing...

Example: "She went to the store."
More description: "The weather outside was frightful, and the fire was so delightful. She did have someplace to go, so she wished it would really stop snowing. She wrapped herself in her fur-lined cloak to prepare for her walk to the store, thinking the whole time what a chore it had become to go anywhere."

User Image

BlueJay Adler's Fangirl

Trash Otaku

Hygienic Werewolf

6,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Hygienic 200
W00FlE
Thanks!

|Yup! Hope it helped!
User Image

Hygienic Werewolf

6,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Hygienic 200

| User Image
User Image

Hygienic Werewolf

6,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Hygienic 200
C:> Access dialogue.exe. Please wait...
Enter text:

Nyow nyow nyow

User Image

Hygienic Werewolf

6,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Hygienic 200
C:> Access doge.exe. Please choose option:

|Rainbow doge here
User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas