Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

How do you try to improve your writing?

I try to avoid old, stupid things. 0.17532804507376 17.5% [ 2365 ]
I add new things. 0.14737934613389 14.7% [ 1988 ]
A combination of both (if one more than the other, pick it). 0.67729260879235 67.7% [ 9136 ]
Total Votes:[ 13489 ]
I_Write_Ivre
((Ultima 4 was meant to have no direction whatsoever.))

((No, it has a plot for the player to complete. If it had no direction, it wouldn't have been subtitled, Quest of the Avatar, would it? Now, I'll grant you that the plot itself has a lot of freedom in terms of what order you can complete the shrine quests in, but to 'complete' that game, every player has to do all the shrines, and every player has to head into the Stygian Abyss.))

Popular Member

7,550 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Maltese_Falcon91
I_Write_Ivre
((Ultima 4 was meant to have no direction whatsoever.))

((No, it has a plot for the player to complete. If it had no direction, it wouldn't have been subtitled, Quest of the Avatar, would it?

((You can't be serious. Of course it'd have a subtitle of the number and a title to match the other games it was between. 4 comes after 3 and before 5. Each game, including 0, had a subtitle. The intentional lack of plot wasn't going to change the numbering system.))

Maltese_Falcon91
((Now, I'll grant you that the plot itself has a lot of freedom in terms of what order you can complete the shrine quests in, but to 'complete' that game, every player has to do all the shrines, and every player has to head into the Stygian Abyss.))

((That' not the actual point of the game. The point of the game was to be the avatar, someone representing the utmost in the virtues. These don't come from some guy giving you quests, they come from you learning and deciding on your own how to achieve morality and enlightenment. ))
I_Write_Ivre

((You know I think I might have misread what you were saying. When you said the game has no direction I thought you were trying to tell me that there was no goal, when I think you might have been saying that the game gave you no directions?

Though I don't know what you're talking about, because the game actually did. NPCs told you where to go all the time.))

Blessed Genius

10,300 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Maltese_Falcon91
MC lollygirl
((:O Wow. And you don't call yourself a gamer!

((I might know about a lot of them, but I've actually played through a few of them. That and I just sort of hate the label.))

(( sweatdrop I thought you actually played all of those games.

I got Ultima 4, and I really like it so far (so much for 'kids not understanding Ultima', eh?). It's just I have no idea how to close it after I'm done playing gonk . I mean, I know about the 'save and quit' option, but that doesn't return me back to my desktop....

Why do you hate the label? Just out of curiosity.))

Popular Member

7,550 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Maltese_Falcon91
I_Write_Ivre

((You know I think I might have misread what you were saying. When you said the game has no direction I thought you were trying to tell me that there was no goal, when I think you might have been saying that the game gave you no directions?

Though I don't know what you're talking about, because the game actually did. NPCs told you where to go all the time.))

((It gives you directions, but not direction. You decide your character, your party, where you go, what you do, etc.))
I_Write_Ivre
((It gives you directions, but not direction. You decide your character, your party, where you go, what you do, etc.))

((So... just to be sure, you're telling me the game gives me advice on where to go, but doesn't give me an overarching goal to accomplish...?))
MC lollygirl

((A bunch of reasons, really. I could go into depth, but basically I think it's drawing a line between people who play video games, and people who don't. We don't call people who read books Bookers, and we don't call people who watch TV Televisioners, so I don't see why this medium is so special. Actually, come to think of it, I hate the idea of us calling them "Video Games" in the first place. The term was a lot more appropriate back when we were just running pong in arcades, but I think the medium has developed beyond that. Also the term Game sort of implies that something like Spec-Ops: The Line, is just a toy.))

Popular Member

7,550 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Maltese_Falcon91
I_Write_Ivre

((So... just to be sure, you're telling me the game gives me advice on where to go, but doesn't give me an overarching goal to accomplish...?))

((Other way around. It gives you a goal and helps you when you get to some place, but how or when or what you do before you get there is very open to the player's control.

It's very much like Civilization. The goal is to pwn other civilizations somehow. You get advice on units and buildings and wonders, but the rest is up to the player.))
I_Write_Ivre
((Other way around. It gives you a goal and helps you when you get to some place, but how or when or what you do before you get there is very open to the player's control.

It's very much like Civilization. The goal is to pwn other civilizations somehow. You get advice on units and buildings and wonders, but the rest is up to the player.))

((Um... okay. Sure, thanks for sharing.))

Blessed Genius

10,300 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Maltese_Falcon91

MC lollygirl

((A bunch of reasons, really. I could go into depth, but basically I think it's drawing a line between people who play video games, and people who don't. We don't call people who read books Bookers, and we don't call people who watch TV Televisioners, so I don't see why this medium is so special. Actually, come to think of it, I hate the idea of us calling them "Video Games" in the first place. The term was a lot more appropriate back when we were just running pong in arcades, but I think the medium has developed beyond that. Also the term Game sort of implies that something like Spec-Ops: The Line, is just a toy.))

((Oh, wow, I haven't thought of it that way before. It makes sense.))

Popular Member

7,550 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
MC lollygirl
Maltese_Falcon91

MC lollygirl

((Oh, wow, I haven't thought of it that way before. It makes sense.))

((It also suffers from a similar to why people have a stick up their a** about the term 'writer.' Different people want different levels of dedication or seriousness or genres or mediums to count than others. Somewhere down the road, these things stopped being hobbies.

By the way, what kind of games do you prefer?))

Blessed Genius

10,300 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
I_Write_Ivre

((It also suffers from a similar to why people have a stick up their a** about the term 'writer.' Different people want different levels of dedication or seriousness or genres or mediums to count than others. Somewhere down the road, these things stopped being hobbies.

((I haven't thought about it like that either.

What games I prefer? I really like fantasy/adventure games. And I love games with amazing graphics (like some of the Final Fantasy games). emotion_kirakira It inspires me. Actually, Final Fantasy is what inspired me to want to help make videogames in the first place.))

Popular Member

7,550 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
MC lollygirl
I_Write_Ivre

((I haven't thought about it like that either.

What games I prefer? I really like fantasy/adventure games. And I love games with amazing graphics (like some of the Final Fantasy games). emotion_kirakira It inspires me. Actually, Final Fantasy is what inspired me to want to help make videogames in the first place.))

((Chrono Cross has some petty good graphics and has been compared to Final fantasy. Legend of Dragoon might be up your alley.

Older stuff with lamer graphics wold be the old Sierra Kings Quest games.

If you can stand cute stuff, legend of Mana is a very sandboxy fantasy game you might like.))

Blessed Genius

10,300 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
I_Write_Ivre

((Chrono Cross has some petty good graphics and has been compared to Final fantasy. Legend of Dragoon might be up your alley.

Older stuff with lamer graphics wold be the old Sierra Kings Quest games.

If you can stand cute stuff, legend of Mana is a very sandboxy fantasy game you might like.))

((Thank you so much! I'll check those games out right now.))

5,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
MC lollygirl
I_Write_Ivre
MC lollygirl
Airship Canon

No player will ever like you or nowadays, NOT handing that plot controller over shows more balls-- it's gonna turn out better to have the player be along for the ride, and let there be a canon. The example I was using was more-or-less just to set up for the next part of the post, but really anything goes there. Pairings from what I can see tend to be the biggest problem area. It's surprisingly rare to see games (ESPECIALLY VNs, dear lord) have a canon pair.
(TL;DR-- Sacrifice YOUR plot so the player can have more control? Bad ******** idea.)
[Resuming Normal Mode]

((What's wrong with the player having a bit of control? It can make the game more interesting, and I was planning on letting the players play a hand in what their fate turns out to be in games I make in the future. I don't see it as sacrificing the plot. The plot will still exist.))

((Hell, players like that their actions have consequences, even bad ones. You can have one plot and a lot of ******** up 'nearly made it' endings.))

((Exactly! It makes the game that much more fun and personal, not to mention the fact that players may want to play it again and again to see what ends up happening.

One thing that I would love is a video game that allows me to be evil if I wanted to, instead of just being the hero. I've only seen one or two games that actually allow that, though.))

((On this subject, my fiance found news that video games (a very linear medium these days) are doing badly in sales, while RPGS (more sandboxy and open to play control) are up in sales))

Invisible Codger

The Phoenix Rises Again
Clare_N

And, if your fictional twins were separated in early childhood, there must be a long list of coincidences in their lives. Such as both of them pursuing the same career, marrying people with similar names . . . and so on. Because twins, even if they were raised separately, can never be completely individual

((Actually, this happens. A lot. With identical twins. I've never heard of fraternal twins doing this, though.))

Clare_N
And it is compulsory to include a scene where the twins switch identities. Also, they must have names which either rhyme or begin with the same letter - no exceptions.

No one names twins Laurel and Hardy or Laurel and Daphne.

((Ehh...with identical twins reared together...environment plays a big part. The environment is the other twin for a huge chunk of the day. When reared separately, they don't have each other to push against so their genetics plays a bigger role than it would have otherwise

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games