Welcome to Gaia! ::

clarion
That may be a factor, but also my sense of humor is a little off-kilter from pretty much everybody elses. Just about anything most people find really funny (Saturday Night Live, Kevin Smith movies, American Pie--just a few off the top of my head) I don't think are funny at all. Horror flicks are hilarous though. XD

So it could just be me and my funky sense of humor.

Well, from what little of SNL I have seen, I couldn't get most of the jokes either.

Discworld humour is strangely unique and yet universal. Most people I know love it.

The very few In Real Life who don't tend to be the type to like toilet humour.
clarion
That may be a factor, but also my sense of humor is a little off-kilter from pretty much everybody elses. Just about anything most people find really funny (Saturday Night Live, Kevin Smith movies, American Pie--just a few off the top of my head) I don't think are funny at all. Horror flicks are hilarous though. XD

So it could just be me and my funky sense of humor.

I don't know... I have a slightly off sense of humor as well.

I strongly suggest you at least give one of the middle range books a try. And if you get it at a library, you don't ned to pay for it.

Rude's Bestie

Cat

Man, I haven't checked anything out at the local library in almost 10 years--I'll probably just buy one if I feel like trying him out again and just give it to my boyfriend because I know he'd like it regardless.

And I do love a good potty joke... redface

(anyway, I'm out for the night--later y'all)
Heh heh... I love how both Yuzure and I jumped to Pterry's defense. xd
Lord Shishio
Heh heh... I love how both Yuzure and I jumped to Pterry's defense. xd

'Tis but our duty to the Name Of Pratchett.
oh, Terry Pratchett! I love his books, they're so funny! The whole concept of discworld amuses me. and that box that had legs and followed it's owner everywhere^^ did it have a name? If so, I can't remember, it's been AGES since I read that stuff.
I love his books, they are wonderful!
And by the way, does anyone know how many discworld books there is?
Poledra

About 30. And 3 or 4 young adult novels.
I have one of the Discworld games for Playstation. It was pretty funny. I had my fiance finish doing most of it, though. I had fun watching him. I loved the big machine thing with all the "bugs." *giggle* That was funny.

I've also seen that there's some sort of music CD out. I'm not sure what it has on it or anything, though. I came across it on Amazon.com.
Lord Shishio
Poledra

About 30. And 3 or 4 young adult novels.

Thank you! biggrin
I've read a few of the Discworld books, mostly the 'kid's' ones (Wee Free Men, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents), but I recently read Colour of Magic and loved it, though the ending is a bit of a cliffhanger (::laughs at her own underestimation:: Only a /bit/ of a cliffhanger... hehehe... ).

Another excellent book by Terry Pratchett is the Bromeliad Trilogy. Hilarious, simply hilarious.
Fjord
I've read a few of the Discworld books, mostly the 'kid's' ones (Wee Free Men, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents), but I recently read Colour of Magic and loved it, though the ending is a bit of a cliffhanger (::laughs at her own underestimation:: Only a /bit/ of a cliffhanger... hehehe... ).

Another excellent book by Terry Pratchett is the Bromeliad Trilogy. Hilarious, simply hilarious.

Wow. You like Terry Pratchett, AND you have a TMBG quote as your signature. How awesome are you?
Geneveve
I most fully agree! Terry Pratchett is an awesome writer. And I would say that he's both Fantasy and Comedy. Which is okay. His writing reads a lot like Douglas Adams (author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

I wish there were more writers who wrote Fantasy-Comedy. The world needs more light-hearted fantasy stories. Hurray for Terry Pratchett for being one of those great writers.

i like terry pratchett alot--very much in agreement about best books being maskerade and hogfather-- but he is a bit of an uneven writer. some of the discworld books just aren't very good sad to say. (the death books, for example, tend to get a little tedious.)
there is a reason that he sounds like douglas adams, though. my sister doesn't like terry pratchett because he has (apparently) copied several douglas adams jokes WORD FOR WORD pretty much in some of his books.
douglas adams is a better writer; much funnier.
but terry pratchett is a hoot and good for a light read.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff