Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have a friend who writes gorgeous sonnets. He's trying to find ways to pay for college and we're hoping his unique skill for sonnets can help. We've done some digging and found a few contests he can enter, and now I would like the help of my fellow Gaians: can anyone direct us to some contests or scholarships for poets, sonnet writers in particular, that we may have missed? Even the smallest morsel of information would be greatly appreciated.
Google is going to be your best best. "Poetry Contest" or "Poetry Scholarship."

Ralan.com has some markets, but I don't know if they cover poetry.

Same for Duotrope.

I had to be sort of a downer, but odds are getting a job and working his way through college is will what has to be. I did. Many people I know did. We applied to a bunch of schools and went to the one that gave us a little money. Most schools have a scholarship to help with the cost of books for example. It's not much, but if the school doesn't rent out books, it's a help.

So I'd say apply for scholarships in general. Talk to your Counselors at school. This is what they're paid for. Apply for everything you qualify for. Every little bit helps.

Proxy Autobiographer

7,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I agree with Sir Icehawk. Some schools do offer writing scholarships, and it couldn't hurt to put together a portfolio to send along with college applications, especially if you're applying as a creative writing major. However, the best thing you can do is look for any scholarships that will help.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff