Welcome to Gaia! ::

1,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Hi guys, this is one of the "university essay" thread. For this kind of essay, what is the structure of writing? It looks like i have to explain both kantian and utilitarian idea but how do i put the ideas in an systematic order. Thanks ahead of time!

Explain the idea the moral reponsibility requires control. Explain why this is a Kantian and not a utilitarian idea. Finally, explain the relationship of this idea to the puzzle of moral luck.
Lulu_ASB

Explain the idea the moral reponsibility requires control. Explain why this is a Kantian and not a utilitarian idea. Finally, explain the relationship of this idea to the puzzle of moral luck.

You might want to explain he logic of asking us.

Shirtless Wench

I'm sorry - you're kidding me...

You're entering University and you don't know how to do Point A, Point B, Synthesis? Or choose one and disprove the other?

That's all the help you'll be getting from me, outside of maybe talking to your counsellor and seeing if University is really the right option for you - maybe a year off to work/travel/volunteer may do good for general experience first? Or repeat English?

Distinct Conversationalist

Lulu_ASB
Explain how "moral reponsibility requires control". Explain why this idea is Kantian and not utilitarian. Finally, explain the relationship between this idea and the "puzzle of moral luck."
I think you're missing some quotation marks here, and some of the phrasing is off. I can see why the person assigning this might phrase it that way, (HINT HINT) but it's awkward. Also, the formatting of the question should tell you all you need to know about how to organize your essay. Blue phrases you need to define. Make sure to define them in terms of other blue phrases, or in terms of third-party phrases that you connect to all blue phrases. After that, answer the question in the order it was asked. Thus:

1. Explain the basics of Kantian philosophy
2. Explain the basics of utilitarian philosophy
3. Explain the idea of "the moral responsibility requires control"
4. Connect part 3 with part 1
5. Contrast part 3 with part 1
6. Explain "the puzzle of moral luck"
7. Connect part 6 with part 3

Edit: This is probably more help than I should be giving you, and it's something you should definitely know already. If I didn't have a gripe with the public school system, you could expect this to consist entirely of the post with the red quotation marks and orange phrasing fixes.

1,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Kita-Ysabell
Lulu_ASB
Explain how "moral reponsibility requires control". Explain why this idea is Kantian and not utilitarian. Finally, explain the relationship between this idea and the "puzzle of moral luck."
I think you're missing some quotation marks here, and some of the phrasing is off. I can see why the person assigning this might phrase it that way, (HINT HINT) but it's awkward. Also, the formatting of the question should tell you all you need to know about how to organize your essay. Blue phrases you need to define. Make sure to define them in terms of other blue phrases, or in terms of third-party phrases that you connect to all blue phrases. After that, answer the question in the order it was asked. Thus:

1. Explain the basics of Kantian philosophy
2. Explain the basics of utilitarian philosophy
3. Explain the idea of "the moral responsibility requires control"
4. Connect part 3 with part 1
5. Contrast part 3 with part 1
6. Explain "the puzzle of moral luck"
7. Connect part 6 with part 3

Edit: This is probably more help than I should be giving you, and it's something you should definitely know already. If I didn't have a gripe with the public school system, you could expect this to consist entirely of the post with the red quotation marks and orange phrasing fixes.

Thanks a lot for you help. Yes it should be something I have learnt before entering college. I guess I didn't pay attention in class or restricted by the five paragraph essay structure. Seems like many people here are good writers so i should expected to be laughed by them....

Distinct Conversationalist

Lulu_ASB
Thanks a lot for you help. Yes it should be something I have learnt before entering college. I guess I didn't pay attention in class or restricted by the five paragraph essay structure. Seems like many people here are good writers so i should expected to be laughed by them....
The five-paragraph essay format is like... my nemesis. UN-LEARN IT AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. IT WILL NOT SERVE YOU WELL.

It cannot be extrapolated. It does not tell you how to write an essay that is longer than five paragraphs, and never again are you going to write an essay that is five paragraphs. All you learn from the five-paragraph essay format is that you need an introduction, a conclusion, and some other stuff. In other words: jack s**t.

You can kind of use the five-paragraph form for super-short essays like college entrance and the SAT's, but if you really only have five paragraphs, you don't want to waste two of them on saying what's already been said.

If it really was the case that you probably weren't paying attention, I would be laughing. But whether you were or not, trust me, there was really nothing to learn.

A quick how-to for structuring academic essays:

1. Identify the terms you need to define
2. Identify other points you need to make
3. Make a list, and keep ideas that relate to each other as close to one another as possible.

Write this all out before you start writing.
Lulu_ASB
Hi guys, this is one of the "university essay" thread. For this kind of essay, what is the structure of writing? It looks like i have to explain both kantian and utilitarian idea but how do i put the ideas in an systematic order. Thanks ahead of time!

There's a variety of ways to structure your essays but you should always start with your thesis. Since the question doesn't say "discuss" it wants you to agree with it.

You'll have to use what you've learned for this one since I'm not sure what "moral luck" is, but personally I think the question is hard to argue since Kantian ethics state that nothing is ethical unless it is done in accordance to duty or law. A very common example of Kant's failings is that donating to another country's victims is not ethical because you have no duty or law saying you have to do it, yet this is considered morally ethical.

The most common structure for comparing is to first explain Kantian ethics (which is a deontological theory), then utilitarian ethics (which is a teleological theory), then explain the idea that moral responsibility requires control and how this fits into Kantian ethics more than utilitarianism, and finally explain moral luck and why this is a "puzzle" (probably because it doesn't fit with one of the theories when it should).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff