Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wow I totally just learned something today. For a moment, I was wondering how many sailboat captains we had in here.

Peaceful Lunatic

The fandoms I write for tend to have no romance, things are really vague, or multiple options are available by canon. Even so, I assert that the ideas in my stories are mine and not necessarily canon. But I probably will point out hints and support for my ideas from canon if it's there. I see fanfics as flexible, but you do need skill and attention to detail to get away with a major twist to canon.

In general, I try to be open-minded about other peoples' fanons and I'll go along with it if it's reasonably explained. Specifically, I'm having a lot of fun with one story where there is no romance in canon, but several popular shippings in conflict with each other. I made that conflict a part of the plot.

Distinct Gekko

3,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gaian 50
The Occasional Traveller
I r.
er no, if it's feasible it can still be considered canon. For example, I do not personally believe that remus and sirius ever had a relationship beyond friendship in the past, and that Rowling intended them to be straight.

that said, there is nothing to contradict the idea and enough happens in the story that it is feasible.

Hence "Casting Moonshadows" by Moonsign is canon. In fact, I'd say that it's more canon than >90% of the ginny/harry stories out there. Nothing happens in that story that contradicts the Harry Potter series (or had, at the point I read up to). It supports it, more than anything. Right down to how Sirius decorates his bedroom.

and before you say "Remus is straight"... how do you know he's not bisexual?

What matters is what was WRITTEN, not what the author intended. If she intended Ginny to really be an evil b***h, it doesn't make a story where Ginny is a nice person AU, as long as the story-line is followed correctly.
Lazarus Larkin
Mortok
The whole reason fan-culture even exists is because fans are not satisfied with the canon. The whole point of fanfiction is to deviate from canon, so that you can have the story you want, in the world you love, with the characters you love.

It is not limited to pairings either, not by a long shot. Characters get resurrected, or re-introduced after they died or left the series. Disliked characters get killed off. Villains and heros change allegiances as easily as they change outfits.

I have not once seen someone claim that their fan-pairing is true canon. Most of them freely admit that it isn't. They just want their lurid kinkfuel, and frankly, who are we to deny them that?

I once got a Trigun fanfic mailing list mad at me because I said Yasuhiro Nightow (aka the actual author of the original manga) never intended Vash and Wolfwood to be a couple >.<

They're like, one of my favorite pairings ever in history. I would be lying if I said I didn't think they SHOULD have been canon. But they AREN'T canon. Yet apparently saying so meant I hated the ship to some people on the mailing list = /

Mostly I agree with you though. I sometimes write fanfic when the original canon pisses me off, so I understand why others might want to, too, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. (Geez. I hate Harry/Ginny AND Katara/Aang because I feel like canon developed the relationships really, really poorly. If you disagree that's fine, but that doesn't mean my opinion is invalid.)

I could honestly care less for fanfiction and was only reading this thread out of curiosity, but Wolfwood and Vash should be canon? Neither of them are even remotely gay. That just makes no sense.

Toothsome Phantom

I don't really have much to say on regards to the topic except for that I agree with it. Most points have probably been stated anyways. But I will say that I understand the opinion of the fanon shippers that want it to be canon.

I ship a pairing that has a lot of controversy around it and it's been around for a long time(because the show is sort of old) and that pairing is puppyshipping. I personally hate the name but for some reason really like the idea of Seto Kaiba and Jounouchi(I could call him that or Joey, that's another debate among fans).

I know they're relationship doesn't make the most sense but it makes more sense than Kaiba being paired with Serenity(They interacted for what, 5 seconds?).

Now, I do like slash, but not just male. I love Female as well. And I love Het. as well. I actually tend to like all the ships in one series. Which can get a bit ridiculous. But I do have some pairings like some more than others.

TL;DR
I like to ship, but know what my limits should be.

2,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
rofl
Occasionally the author just doesn't know their characters very well.
But yeah, mostly it's just like =POINTLESS DRAMA= like Zutara.

Gaian

Phyla89

I could honestly care less for fanfiction and was only reading this thread out of curiosity, but Wolfwood and Vash should be canon? Neither of them are even remotely gay. That just makes no sense.

Ah, the old "they aren't obviously gay therefore nobody should ever write them with a guy" argument.

Bisexuality exists. People who are gay but don't act stereotypical or open about it exist. Many canon characters -- and I'm speaking generally, across ALL canons -- don't even have an explicitly stated sexuality; writing someone as gay isn't going against canon just because the canon never spelled out that they were.
Lazarus Larkin
Phyla89

Ah, the old "they aren't obviously gay therefore nobody should ever write them with a guy" argument.

Bisexuality exists. People who are gay but don't act stereotypical or open about it exist. Many canon characters -- and I'm speaking generally, across ALL canons -- don't even have an explicitly stated sexuality; writing someone as gay isn't going against canon just because the canon never spelled out that they were.

I couldn't care less what people write in their fanfictions, I'm just saying I have watched that anime multiple times and saw no signs of either having any sort of romantic interest in the other. I'm talking about the anime itself.

Gaian

Phyla89
Lazarus Larkin
Phyla89

I couldn't care less what people write in their fanfictions, I'm just saying I have watched that anime multiple times and saw no signs of either having any sort of romantic interest in the other. I'm talking about the anime itself.

Um, not sure what your point is. It ISN'T canon. I think it should've been because I think they have a lot of chemistry that would've been awesome if it'd been tipped in a romantic direction.
Lazarus Larkin
Phyla89
Lazarus Larkin
Phyla89

Um, not sure what your point is. It ISN'T canon. I think it should've been because I think they have a lot of chemistry that would've been awesome if it'd been tipped in a romantic direction.

Yes, I understand that. You're saying it should be canon, and I'm saying I see no evidence of why it should be.

Gaian

...okay? *blink* I said I think it should have been canon. Because IMO that would have been awesome.
I typically don't ship with anything but canon, if there is a canon pairing. It actually drives me crazy when people ship anyone if there is a canon pairing. Well, when they are die heart about it and won't accept that there is a canon pairing, anyway.

For example, in Star Wars, there are a lot of people who hate Mara Jade, believe it or not. (Personally, I absolutely adore her, but, I digress.) And there are tons of people who cannot accept that Callista is gone. So, people write stories about Luke and Callista, completely bashing Mara, and it absolutely drives me nuts. (This is one that even if the writer of this fanfiction accepts that Luke is married to Mara, I cannot stand people pairing him with anyone else.)

However, when there isn't a cannon pairing, I could care less who people pair with who. Heck, even I am a shipper in this case.

For example (this is a lame example, but a guilty pleasure of mine) is Ash and Misty from pokemon. Or Dawn and Paul. Or May and Drew. Brock and Officer Jenny. Jessie and James.

Dangerous Businessman

2,850 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
OK, everyone back on topic. I came here to discuss why I hate that some shippers don't understand the meaning of canon, not our favorite pairings. I don't mind when shippers don't ship canon, it's when shippers don't acknowledge that their pairing isn't canon. That's what ticks me off. Like when you mention that you don't like (I'm going to use an EXTREMELY cliched example) Cloud x Sephiroth for example, someone starts yelling at you "IT'S TWU WUV SO IT MUST BE CANON!"

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Occasional Traveller
OK, everyone back on topic. I came here to discuss why I hate that some shippers don't understand the meaning of canon, not our favorite pairings. I don't mind when shippers don't ship canon, it's when shippers don't acknowledge that their pairing isn't canon. That's what ticks me off. Like when you mention that you don't like (I'm going to use an EXTREMELY cliched example) Cloud x Sephiroth for example, someone starts yelling at you "IT'S TWU WUV SO IT MUST BE CANON!"

The question remains as to what qualifies it as canon. Does the character have to outright declare they are in a romantic relationship with another character for it to count? There have been examples of pairings that were considered 'annoying and against canon,' which were then revealed to be canon after all (off the top of my head, Renly and Loras of Game of Thrones).

I hate anyone who is obnoxious and berating towards others about their favourite shipping; canon doesn't really play into that for me.

Tipsy Exhibitionist

Rotsab M. Hyolf
The Occasional Traveller

The question remains as to what qualifies it as canon. Does the character have to outright declare they are in a romantic relationship with another character for it to count? There have been examples of pairings that were considered 'annoying and against canon,' which were then revealed to be canon after all (off the top of my head, Renly and Loras of Game of Thrones).

I hate anyone who is obnoxious and berating towards others about their favourite shipping; canon doesn't really play into that for me.

Well, wikipedia says, and I agree, that canon is 'the conceptual material accepted as "official" in a fictional universe's fan base'. Canon information is either in the work itself or in supplementary information such as interviews by the author.

I know someone earlier in the thread claims that "canon" is anything that doesn't contradict the author's original work, but I have to strongly disagree. Just because it doesn't conflict with canon doesn't make it a part of canon.

If someone writes a Harry Potter fanfic about a random student tooling around Hogwarts at the same time as say, Harry's parents, that is not canon, because Lily's old school friend, Mariana Angelwing Darkfyre was never mentioned in any previous work by J.K. Rowling.

People can block their ears and say "There's no proof that she didn't have a friend called Mariana Angelwing Darkfyre", but that won't make her canon.

The only way to write "canon" is to write your own, original work.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games