Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
marshmallowcreampie

Yeah, it can depend on the story, and what purpose the Everyman serves. For The Hunger Games, I actually consider Katniss to be something of an every(wo)man, at least, within the context of her setting. Outside of her skill with a bow, she's not super different from the other people in her District. She's not a character I would say is particularly heroic; like many people, she's more concerned with the safety of her loved ones above all else. She only goes along with the hero schtick because it's her best way to survive. She's not all that special, and that's a major point of the whole book; her status as the "Mockingjay" is pure image and PR.

Oh yeah, I haven't thought of Katniss as an everyman character before, probably 'cause of the tragedy she suffered that really shaped her into a battle-worn survivor, which, for me, is very far from 'normal'. Though you have a point--she's pretty average, and was just doing what was necessary to survive.

Kawaii Shoujo

i think an everyman character can be done well, if there's enough of a balance between being average and having a personality/background of their own. however, i tend to prefer characters with strong, out of this world personalities because they stick out better in my mind.

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
An everymancharacter is only necessary if the supporting characters are totally unrelateable. Even characters like darth vader or superman are relateable at their core, that's why they're so successful. But that's just my opinion and I do agree with what everybody else has said here already
What kind of books do you guys read where every character must be superfantastic or sucks?

Gnarwhalrus's Comrade

Questionable Wrangler

maybe some people think it's an easy cop out?

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
Senator Armstrong
What kind of books do you guys read where every character must be superfantastic or sucks?

i want to know as well....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces