Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Prophet

7,425 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Citizen 200
Tenshi Yaminade
Gravity Killer

Really now? About the whole skeleton thing ( I am all too aware about the children)

branching off of that, do you think that its possible that autism is a form of evolution as well?

Autism is a little iffy. I think perhaps we've become soft in the head, so much so that our brain power is weakening mainly because we don't live in an era (or at least here in America, we don't sorta kinda) where starvation and homeless is at a sort of low and the chances of death are slimmer as compared to the more difficult times when America was just getting started and it was questionable if even the best of middle class might survive. It's getting bad again, but we're not here to talk about economics.

Back to the point. What I'm trying to say is autism is sort of an evolutionary state of mind which has resulted from a softened circumstance. Some of the smartest people in the world are from poor backgrounds because either they got smart or they joined the local gang or became hobos and begged for money and food. Some of the wiliest and best improvisers and best minds of common sense came from sketchy backgrounds where they had to be on their toes or they ended up with nothing. Circumstance molds evolution (or adaptation) which molds us. Those medical states which affect the mind are all in our head. It's something that's somewhat controllable.

Now, that being said, there are cases where it cannot be controlled, where something traumatic or other (something physical like a troublesome childbirth for those born with autism or something like a blow to the head in just the right place) has happened to spring autism on people. For example, I know of this boy (Paul) around whom I lived and he had autism. The story on the street was that he wasn't born with it, but he developed it when he watched his father murder his mother and chop her into pieces. Poor guy.

Sorry for the long post, but there are tons of things to consider when talking about matters of the mind. It is a very strange, flexible, fickle subject because that's what the mind is: strange, flexible and fickle.

-__- I have autism and I know several people who do

1.You can't develop it. If he "developed" it he is probably suffering from post-traumatic syndrome

2. People with autism are not stupid, well have different developmental stages than others, and in some cases are much smarter people than neuro-typicals

I can not stress enough that autism is not a mental illness or mental retardation. I like to compare us to the mutants of X-Men had how we can do amazing things that other people can't do BUT it still can be problematic ( i.e. Rogue, Nightcrawler ) and affect how we/they socialize and how we/they function.
Gravity Killer
Kairi Nightingale
A child is pretty weak and a sniper rifle is a heavy gun... not to mention the recoil. Being a girl would only make it harder. Would she even be able to handle a gun like that? Maybe if she was like a teenager, alright, but how well she'd be able to handle the sniper job would depend on the gun, how old she is, and how strong she is at that age.

Well she is sort of a sniper prodigy and was trained by her father, a former Black-Ops who also as pretty good at his job, At first she had to use a special sling to get use to the recoil and even then ended up with a messed-up shoulder because it. And when she was a child she had an adult assistant/trainer who would carry the gun for her until she was strong enough to do it herself.

And yes I do have this already down in my story, I am not making this up on the fly.

You are the second person to think a girl couldn't be a sniper; this is talent and training not peeing standing up! I might be over-reacting to this but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Oh, I just thought I'd bring up a point that hasn't really been gone over yet.

I never said that a girl couldn't be a sniper; I said it'd make it harder. I never meant to imply otherwise or that you hadn't developed the story. Sorry, if I somehow sounded like I did.

Witty Prophet

7,425 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Citizen 200
Kairi Nightingale
Gravity Killer
Kairi Nightingale
A child is pretty weak and a sniper rifle is a heavy gun... not to mention the recoil. Being a girl would only make it harder. Would she even be able to handle a gun like that? Maybe if she was like a teenager, alright, but how well she'd be able to handle the sniper job would depend on the gun, how old she is, and how strong she is at that age.

Well she is sort of a sniper prodigy and was trained by her father, a former Black-Ops who also as pretty good at his job, At first she had to use a special sling to get use to the recoil and even then ended up with a messed-up shoulder because it. And when she was a child she had an adult assistant/trainer who would carry the gun for her until she was strong enough to do it herself.

And yes I do have this already down in my story, I am not making this up on the fly.

You are the second person to think a girl couldn't be a sniper; this is talent and training not peeing standing up! I might be over-reacting to this but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Oh, I just thought I'd bring up a point that hasn't really been gone over yet.

I never said that a girl couldn't be a sniper; I said it'd make it harder. I never meant to imply otherwise or that you hadn't developed the story. Sorry, if I somehow sounded like I did.

I did mention throughout my story about her being a girl and how it causes some trouble, but only really in the beginning. Like when her dad first shows her to the crimelord and the crimelord things he's offering her up as a sex slave, or how her position in the cartel is half based on her skill and half based on the fact the crime-lord's son is in love with her
Gravity Killer
Tenshi Yaminade
Gravity Killer

Really now? About the whole skeleton thing ( I am all too aware about the children)

branching off of that, do you think that its possible that autism is a form of evolution as well?

Autism is a little iffy. I think perhaps we've become soft in the head, so much so that our brain power is weakening mainly because we don't live in an era (or at least here in America, we don't sorta kinda) where starvation and homeless is at a sort of low and the chances of death are slimmer as compared to the more difficult times when America was just getting started and it was questionable if even the best of middle class might survive. It's getting bad again, but we're not here to talk about economics.

Back to the point. What I'm trying to say is autism is sort of an evolutionary state of mind which has resulted from a softened circumstance. Some of the smartest people in the world are from poor backgrounds because either they got smart or they joined the local gang or became hobos and begged for money and food. Some of the wiliest and best improvisers and best minds of common sense came from sketchy backgrounds where they had to be on their toes or they ended up with nothing. Circumstance molds evolution (or adaptation) which molds us. Those medical states which affect the mind are all in our head. It's something that's somewhat controllable.

Now, that being said, there are cases where it cannot be controlled, where something traumatic or other (something physical like a troublesome childbirth for those born with autism or something like a blow to the head in just the right place) has happened to spring autism on people. For example, I know of this boy (Paul) around whom I lived and he had autism. The story on the street was that he wasn't born with it, but he developed it when he watched his father murder his mother and chop her into pieces. Poor guy.

Sorry for the long post, but there are tons of things to consider when talking about matters of the mind. It is a very strange, flexible, fickle subject because that's what the mind is: strange, flexible and fickle.

1.You can't develop it. If he "developed" it he is probably suffering from post-traumatic syndrome

2. People with autism are not stupid, well have different developmental stages than others, and in some cases are much smarter people than neuro-typicals

I can not stress enough that autism is not a mental illness or mental retardation. I like to compare us to the mutants of X-Men had how we can do amazing things that other people can't do BUT it still can be problematic ( i.e. Rogue, Nightcrawler ) and affect how we/they socialize and how we/they function.

1. Doctors say you can because that's how they diagnosed it. Also, it's apparently able to develop according to the second definition of autism. https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#hl=en&q=autism&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=0M9sUIjWA5Oa8gTzw4BQ&ved=0CB8QkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=5936a6d8fe4522bb&biw=1366&bih=677

I know it's just Google, but they can't exactly present fictional definitions.

2. I didn't say they were stupid. I said it was a sort of evolution that develops from certain said circumstances (I also said, "there are cases where it cannot be controlled" ) .

3. Did you just set me up to troll autistic people? Cuz that what it feels like. crying

Also, I didn't see anything in my post which would have insulted anyone. Basically, my post boils down to, "Circumstances mold evolution/adaptations and evolution/adaptations mold us." I think I said that directly. So I answered your question, yes. It's evolutionary or an adaptation depending on circumstances.

Witty Prophet

7,425 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Citizen 200
Tenshi Yaminade
Gravity Killer
Tenshi Yaminade
Gravity Killer

1. Doctors say you can because that's how they diagnosed it. Also, it's apparently able to develop according to the second definition of autism. https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#hl=en&q=autism&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=0M9sUIjWA5Oa8gTzw4BQ&ved=0CB8QkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=5936a6d8fe4522bb&biw=1366&bih=677

I know it's just Google, but they can't exactly present fictional definitions.

2. I didn't say they were stupid. I said it was a sort of evolution that develops from certain said circumstances (I also said, "there are cases where it cannot be controlled" wink .

3. Did you just set me up to troll autistic people? Cuz that what it feels like. crying

Also, I didn't see anything in my post which would have insulted anyone. Basically, my post boils down to, "Circumstances mold evolution/adaptations and evolution/adaptations mold us." I think I said that directly. So I answered your question, yes. It's evolutionary or an adaptation depending on circumstances.

1. Noo, its a neurological difference whether it hold similarities to schizophrenia( schizophrenia is also something you are born with but develop later in life) that is present as early as infanthood. You can not develop it, you can not hit you head and suddenly become autistic.

And let me stress this part CLEARLY to you; I am autistic, I know autistic people of all ages and levels of autism. I am very proactive in the anti-cure perspective. My grandmother was an educational therapist, my mother is a bit obsessed with these sort of things. And let me tell you; not once did they ever say nor bring in material that supported your claim that you can develop autism. I say again; you are born with it, whether it presents itself later or earlier. It is there from day one.

And no I didn't. I wanted an opinion on whether or not you thought autism was the next stage of evolution. I am just a tad bit OCD about facts being off, as well people who think autism is some form of mental retardation or mental illness. The fact that you said autism can be developed later in life supports that idea that its a mental illness considering your example is a young boy who witness a horrible crime, or that it could be caused by a blow to the head; something that needs to be fixed or cured. And I make this clear now; I do not need to be cured nor does anyone who has autism. Perhaps in some extreme causes autistic people need help learning how to cope or how to function but even then they are brilliant and seriously better people than most of humanity.

I'm sorry I'll get off my soapbox. but no I did not set you up I just wanted to hear an opinion on the evolution idea ( but I will stick to my guns about autism being perfectly alright and non-developmental thank you!)
Gravity Killer

1. Noo, its a neurological difference whether it hold similarities to schizophrenia( schizophrenia is also something you are born with but develop later in life) that is present as early as infanthood. You can not develop it, you can not hit you head and suddenly become autistic.

And let me stress this part CLEARLY to you; I am autistic, I know autistic people of all ages and levels of autism. I am very proactive in the anti-cure perspective. My grandmother was an educational therapist, my mother is a bit obsessed with these sort of things. And let me tell you; not once did they ever say nor bring in material that supported your claim that you can develop autism. I say again; you are born with it, whether it presents itself later or earlier. It is there from day one.

And no I didn't. I wanted an opinion on whether or not you thought autism was the next stage of evolution. I am just a tad bit OCD about facts being off, as well people who think autism is some form of mental retardation or mental illness. The fact that you said autism can be developed later in life supports that idea that its a mental illness considering your example is a young boy who witness a horrible crime, or that it could be caused by a blow to the head; something that needs to be fixed or cured. And I make this clear now; I do not need to be cured nor does anyone who has autism. Perhaps in some extreme causes autistic people need help learning how to cope or how to function but even then they are brilliant and seriously better people than most of humanity.

I'm sorry I'll get off my soapbox. but no I did not set you up I just wanted to hear an opinion on the evolution idea ( but I will stick to my guns about autism being perfectly alright and non-developmental thank you!)

Okay...well here's what I believe.

There are facts outside of what your grandmother and mother have brought in (I mean highly advanced medical doctors and scientists who have studied this for years on end are probably just making all their research up anyway right?).

And my opinion was yes. That smart people can come about as a result of certain circumstances. Because autism was the subject, naturally you might thing I included that in what I said, but I must not have made myself clear.

Autistic people are just fine the way they are (but think about that the next time you tell someone they need to get into shape or ought to change something about themselves for the better. And I am in no way implying that you said that; I'm just saying people who defend their beliefs vehemently tend to have double standards without realizing it. Note: I said PEOPLE and not you in particular).

I do not believe autistic people are better people than anyone else in the world however.

I can tell you've gotten a lot of flack for being autistic and gotten insulted by many idiotic people who don't fully understand what they're talking about. I'm not gonna lie. I don't fully understand it and I don't think I ever will know like someone who has autism. However, you shouldn't jump the gun; you should try to differentiate between instances of attack either on you or autism and and those where someone is just stating an opinion about the relation between autism and evolution as you brought up things that I never said but you most likely have heard quite frequently.

Still buddies? Or at least friendly acquaintances?

Witty Prophet

7,425 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Citizen 200
Tenshi Yaminade
Gravity Killer

Okay...well here's what I believe.

There are facts outside of what your grandmother and mother have brought in (I mean highly advanced medical doctors and scientists who have studied this for years on end are probably just making all their research up anyway right?).

And my opinion was yes. That smart people can come about as a result of certain circumstances. Because autism was the subject, naturally you might thing I included that in what I said, but I must not have made myself clear.

Autistic people are just fine the way they are (but think about that the next time you tell someone they need to get into shape or ought to change something about themselves for the better. And I am in no way implying that you said that; I'm just saying people who defend their beliefs vehemently tend to have double standards without realizing it. Note: I said PEOPLE and not you in particular).

I do not believe autistic people are better people than anyone else in the world however.

I can tell you've gotten a lot of flack for being autistic and gotten insulted by many idiotic people who don't fully understand what they're talking about. I'm not gonna lie. I don't fully understand it and I don't think I ever will know like someone who has autism. However, you shouldn't jump the gun; you should try to differentiate between instances of attack either on you or autism and and those where someone is just stating an opinion about the relation between autism and evolution as you brought up things that I never said but you most likely have heard quite frequently.

Still buddies? Or at least friendly acquaintances?

Yeah, we're good.

And sorry, I don't know if its just me or its apart of the autism itself ( ha the irony) but I tend to get defensive very quickly. I'm learning how not to be like that but I haven't come up against anyone who isn't on a very black and white stance ( i.e anti-cure or for a cure)
Gravity Killer

Yeah, we're good.

And sorry, I don't know if its just me or its apart of the autism itself ( ha the irony) but I tend to get defensive very quickly. I'm learning how not to be like that but I haven't come up against anyone who isn't on a very black and white stance ( i.e anti-cure or for a cure)

Lol. Cool and believe me, no. Everyone gets defensive. Sometimes I do. crying and it gets me bitten on the a**. I've got a few scars to prove it. mrgreen

Witty Prophet

7,425 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Citizen 200
Tenshi Yaminade
Gravity Killer

Yeah, we're good.

Lol. Cool and believe me, no. Everyone gets defensive. Sometimes I do. crying and it gets me bitten on the a**. I've got a few scars to prove it. mrgreen

Ha well, at least you have given me something else I am going to have address if I want to be an activist for autism.

I actually asked because I have a research paper I am going to do on autism and the possibility it is the next step in human evolution, or at least human brains adapting to today's world.
Gravity Killer

I actually asked because I have a research paper I am going to do on autism and the possibility it is the next step in human evolution, or at least human brains adapting to today's world.

In what way do you think is autism an adaptation to the modern world?

And in terms of evolution, is this a step up, an advancement, from prior statements of brain function? If so, why?

Don't take it the wrong way. I'm just curious.

Witty Prophet

7,425 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Citizen 200
Tenshi Yaminade
Gravity Killer

In what way do you think is autism an adaptation to the modern world?

And in terms of evolution, is this a step up, an advancement, from prior statements of brain function? If so, why?

Don't take it the wrong way. I'm just curious.

No no, if I am doing a research paper on this, I am going to have to able to answer some of these questions.

Let put it this way; online communications is just HEAVEN for an autistic kid. I find I do better socially online then in real life. Why? I don't have to make eye contact, the use of abstract language is easier to understand ( to a point I screw up from time to time) and I have time to think; will this be socially acceptable, or my facts lined up etc. etc.
Now this may be a stretch, but alot of people complain about how back in the good old days we used to talk face to face and none of this silly texting and all that. And that's where autistic kids seem to fail so hard. So some reverse engineering here; what if the reason why autistic kids do better with online media is because their brains were MADE for online media. What if our brain were rewired to deal with communications via texting, facebook, IM etc.

So in my opinion this is a step up. One thing I have noticed about autistic kids, which I am not sure could be backed up with science just more observation, autistic kids ( when in a loving and nurturing environment) can be some of the most loyal, honest, and understanding people on the planet. If someone with autism were to tell me something, I would be more likely to believe it then someone without autism. Now this could just be my view being painted by my position BUT this is a working progress of a thesis. This is where I got my ideas, so on to the research!
Gravity Killer

No no, if I am doing a research paper on this, I am going to have to able to answer some of these questions.

Let put it this way; online communications is just HEAVEN for an autistic kid. I find I do better socially online then in real life. Why? I don't have to make eye contact, the use of abstract language is easier to understand ( to a point I screw up from time to time) and I have time to think; will this be socially acceptable, or my facts lined up etc. etc.
Now this may be a stretch, but alot of people complain about how back in the good old days we used to talk face to face and none of this silly texting and all that. And that's where autistic kids seem to fail so hard. So some reverse engineering here; what if the reason why autistic kids do better with online media is because their brains were MADE for online media. What if our brain were rewired to deal with communications via texting, facebook, IM etc.

So in my opinion this is a step up. One thing I have noticed about autistic kids, which I am not sure could be backed up with science just more observation, autistic kids ( when in a loving and nurturing environment) can be some of the most loyal, honest, and understanding people on the planet. If someone with autism were to tell me something, I would be more likely to believe it then someone without autism. Now this could just be my view being painted by my position BUT this is a working progress of a thesis. This is where I got my ideas, so on to the research!

I never thought of it like that! That kinda blew my mind! That autism is an adaptation to our use of online and digital communication...I have to repeat it to myself because it's such a cool idea! For your research, might I make a suggestion? Look into the...um...transfer of memory from mother to child in the womb or something along those lines as I think it might be the main way people adapt slowly not from childhood but from generation to generation. Oh man there are so many implications. I'm sure some scientists have already done studies on them as I tend to be super slow in getting to all these things.

Good luck with your paper! I look forward to seeing it in a medical journal. ^_^

Witty Prophet

7,425 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Citizen 200
Tenshi Yaminade
Gravity Killer

I never thought of it like that! That kinda blew my mind! That autism is an adaptation to our use of online and digital communication...I have to repeat it to myself because it's such a cool idea! For your research, might I make a suggestion? Look into the...um...transfer of memory from mother to child in the womb or something along those lines as I think it might be the main way people adapt slowly not from childhood but from generation to generation. Oh man there are so many implications. I'm sure some scientists have already done studies on them as I tend to be super slow in getting to all these things.

Good luck with your paper! I look forward to seeing it in a medical journal. ^_^

Oh thanks! That will really help to support my thesis! And I can't take all the credit my older adopted brother who also as asberger's kind of came up with the foundations of the idea, I sort of carried it on the next level.

And if only ( I seriously doubt they will take an arts and design major seriously)
Gravity Killer
Tenshi Yaminade

Oh thanks! That will really help to support my thesis! And I can't take all the credit my older adopted brother who also as asberger's kind of came up with the foundations of the idea, I sort of carried it on the next level.

And if only ( I seriously doubt they will take an arts and design major seriously)

Nice. and PSH! Long as you have your facts straight and your theory is logical and can be tested in an experiment, they'll accept it no matter where you come from. That being said, you might want to get a husband or boyfriend who's in the medical field to back you up. ^_^

Shirtless Wench

Gravity Killer

I see, I see.
          So, she isn't really a child soldier of the cartel, but rather her dad works with the cartel and she and him are more like contract-killers?

Also, I get where you're coming from re:female child soldiers/snipers.
          My original idea wasn't so much that they weren't capable, but more that the cartels might prefer to use resources like that more for the sex trade or for sexual favours for the higher-up guerrilla militants. So not a doubt of their capability, more a doubt of whether the cartels would see them in that same light or in a more sexualized context.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff