Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Shapeshifter

6,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Profitable 100
Hey there!

I have an account on deviantart and I think chapter 1 of a story I wrote was a huge success (for me) and I got plenty of views and a few comments but after chapter three and to the end everything just kind of stopped. Is this something to worry about? I've checked and checked but I can't find any fault in the chapters. Am I perhaps too blind to see the problem here?
Like, what do you do when it goes really well at first but later becomes a.... Flopp?
You're only three chapters in and are thinking it may be a floop. Don't do that. Write. Don't care about views, clicks, or comments. Just write the story you want to tell. Enjoy it. Don't let clicks on some website get you down. wink

I doubt you're posting polished work you've gone through several drafts with, so there are flaws. Even if it was polished, there are flaws. There are problems. Time away from the story once its down is a cure for this "can't see the forest for the trees." Stressing over clicks won't help with the writing or the editing.

What do I do? I keep writing. All longer projects tend to have moments of doubt where you question if its worth continuing. You push through and tell the story. Doing that gets the ball rolling again, and you'll get back into it.

Now, get back to work and best of luck.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

6,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Profitable 100
Thanks a lot for the reply! Well actually It's finished. It's a short one, only 7 chapters long and I worked for about three months on it. I've had a ton of drafts that I've ripped into pieces, thrown into the garbage can and some which I liked a lot... For the first five minutes.
But you're probably right. I should really stop looking at the results so much and just go on and write more stories (And longer ones)

Sir Icehawk
You're only three chapters in and are thinking it may be a floop. Don't do that. Write. Don't care about views, clicks, or comments. Just write the story you want to tell. Enjoy it. Don't let clicks on some website get you down. wink

I doubt you're posting polished work you've gone through several drafts with, so there are flaws. Even if it was polished, there are flaws. There are problems. Time away from the story once its down is a cure for this "can't see the forest for the trees." Stressing over clicks won't help with the writing or the editing.

What do I do? I keep writing. All longer projects tend to have moments of doubt where you question if its worth continuing. You push through and tell the story. Doing that gets the ball rolling again, and you'll get back into it.

Now, get back to work and best of luck.
Well no, you wrote and enjoyed. The game has changed since this was finished and edited work. There's nothing wrong about serious anaylzing this peice and to see why the readership did not carry through. Look at the comments you have received. Maybe even contact the more detailed ones to see why (if even) they didn't follow through with the rest.
Have you stopped to consider that maybe, just maybe, those who read it and left comments ( positive ) for what you had posted while it was a work in progress, finished reading what you created in it's entirety and felt they had nothing more to add to their previous remarks? In otherwords, they liked it! Just a thought.

Gash

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
I had that happen to me with a story here. Got like, a bajillion and one comments on the first few updates, and then by the end of it, I was quite literally the only person posting in that thread as I continued the updates and finished the story. Sometimes the feedback comes, and sometimes it just doesn't. Don't let it pump you up or get you down too much. Online communities can be tricky beasts and it's hard to stay visible sometimes. Just keep going. smile

(I finished writing that one because I wanted to, and have since revised it like crazy. I love it and am proud of it. Even if it mostly went invisible here. I've since decided I want to take a shot at being published with it and have had it removed from the forums.)

Sparkly Shapeshifter

6,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Profitable 100
I'll do so~Thanks a ton!

Sir Icehawk
Well no, you wrote and enjoyed. The game has changed since this was finished and edited work. There's nothing wrong about serious anaylzing this peice and to see why the readership did not carry through. Look at the comments you have received. Maybe even contact the more detailed ones to see why (if even) they didn't follow through with the rest.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

6,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Profitable 100
That's a really good point there! That might be the case and it might not be. Either they can't find their way to the next chapter or they got bored along the way. Or maybe they don't even know that All of it is completed XD

GashNburn
Have you stopped to consider that maybe, just maybe, those who read it and left comments ( positive ) for what you had posted while it was a work in progress, finished reading what you created in it's entirety and felt they had nothing more to add to their previous remarks? In otherwords, they liked it! Just a thought.

Gash

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces