<3 </3
  Romance

romance or not?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on July 19, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 >

hi i need help here
Help with what? You have given us absolutely no information whatsoever.
Magnus Cthulhu
sorry i need help on what is the best way for a romance novil to go
I'm gonna say... no romance.

If you're just starting into creative writing, haven't been in it long, or you're still pretty young--and I imagine one of those is the case--I really recommend you stay away from romance. Very, very strongly recommend you stay away from it until you've dabbled in introducing romance in small portions into other story plots, and you've become skilled at painting an atmosphere of romantic or sexual tension.

Benevolent Cutesmasher

10,800 Points
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
SunnieAne
Magnus Cthulhu

Fortunately for you, this is an easily fixable problem. Go down to your local library and pay a visit to the romance section. Read a lot of those stories. Take note of the plots and characters you like.

When you're done with that, see if your library has a copy of one of the How to Write Romance Novels books. Read that and pay attention to what it has to teach you.

Then go read some more romance novels. It always helps to keep in touch with the market you're trying to sell to, especially if you're uncertain about the 'best' way to do something.
Braxeus

If you're just starting into creative writing, haven't been in it long, or you're still pretty young--and I imagine one of those is the case--I really recommend you stay away from romance. Very, very strongly recommend you stay away from it until you've dabbled in introducing romance in small portions into other story plots, and you've become skilled at painting an atmosphere of romantic or sexual tension.
i've wrirten romances before i just want to what peoples preferences are
Could you post examples of these past romances so we, the questioned, might give you better, more constructive answers?
Braxeus

i've wrirten romances before i just want to what peoples preferences are
Magnus Cthulhu
SunnieAne
Magnus Cthulhu

Why are you posting that again?
Magnus Cthulhu
SunnieAne
Magnus Cthulhu

It's just probably because she clicked the "Submit" button twice by accident or out of impatience. Not all computers are fast, including mine. crying
AngelHatoko
Magnus Cthulhu
SunnieAne
Magnus Cthulhu

It's just probably because she clicked the "Submit" button twice by accident or out of impatience. Not all computers are fast, including mine. crying

She pushed the submit button twice... after making three posts in between her pressing the button twice?

My question stands.
Yea, I'm still wondering about that too, but oh well. Doesn't matter. XD

My take on it, you just should practice practice practice. ( I hate saying that evil word though... >.< ) Romance is a pretty hard thing to write if you want it to have the power to make someone cry or something. Cuz you're pressed with the sappiness and such. Then there are some fics that try to describe the tension and stuff and completely lose me because I zone out. XDD

But yea, read many well written books, most definitely don't watch soap operas, and try and imagine yourself as the character in your story. How would prefer to have two people meet, like each other, progress in the relationship. And don't be afraid to use details. Details are key when writing romance.
My perfered romance novel is usually an uncomfortable tension between an older woman and a young, say sixteen year old boy. Think "The Graduate" but illegal.
You should use the phrase "released from it's denim prison" a lot. And by a lot I mean you should just write that phrase over and over and call it a novel.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff